• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

"RED" The 2001 1.4 Sport +

I thought I'd start a thread in here as there are plenty of little bits I need to sort on Red. Nothing to major I'm hoping, I will also be coupling my time sorting Red out with some minor cosmetic mods.

Whilst i'm still trying to find out exactly what is setting my Check Engine light off on a regular basis, I thought i'd carry on and start tidying Red.

I bought my first micra on new years eve 2014, after my old car (rover 25) suffer a diesel injector pump failure. It was my dad suggested I thought about getting a micra as he has one (1l auto i think) and said how practical they are.

With a little bit of searching i found what was soon to be my car.

With a bit of back and forth haggling it was agreed that it would come with a full mot for £40 quid more than the asking price.

The asking price was not that as shown in the screen, it was £840

It was lucky that i pushed for it to be MOT'd as it failed on Discs Pads and CV boots.

With this corrected I missed out on going to an afternoon new years eve party and headed on the long journey across the Solent to the wilds of the big north island.

A few years ago I had an almera which I tarted up a bit, the micra will be going the same kind of way but without the **** spoiler at the back (big styling mistake). And i'm struggling to find someone to tint my windows.

I have been trying to sort the P0171 code from about a week after I got the car, I have now replaced the Maf sensor, and the first lambda. the light is coming on anywhere between 50 and 200 miles at the moment at quite random times.

I have bought the Tourque ap and a obd2 bluetooth sender so am now recording sensor information for every drive. As soon as I can find out how to get the video up still showing the sensor information, I will post it up for you guys to comment on.

My first alteration was my wheels, which I put on this week. It took all week mind..... that was due to some stubborn locking nuts on the rear, and no key. The reason I went for wheels first was simply that the tyres on the car were no good, they were close to the tread limit and had some perishing to the side wall.

Half way there

Job Done

I think i'm going to need to get some lowering spring as it looks too high.

I have several other jobs to do, there is a new rocker cover to go on, as mine is ratty looking, I have an almera airbox.

And then there are these.

I have done the other one now, but Red is having fun looking like a pirate at the moment.

"AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH"

Saw you post on the facebook group! Car looks well, I've been eyeing up this exact spec recently, 1.4 and five door... maybe when I need a new daily.. Hehe. Keep it up! Personally I recommend 40/50mm springs. nice drop without it being crazy.

Cheers for that MaxK11c. Definitely going lower.

Yesterday I managed to get the Ripspeeds off, and the Dotz on. Very happy with them just need black spokes.

Tinted rear lights arrived in the post yesterday too.

so the latest on this little beastie is..

I spent some of easter Sunday and Bank holiday Monday pulling bits of the car just to swap over the second lambda. What a bloody job that was. I had to remove airbox and canister thing under the airbox just to get to the connector to disconnect it. So easy job done then. ...

Not quite, had to get under the front of the car to remove the manifold support bracket that the lambda connector was firmly stuck on.

Then separated the exhaust at the cat and dropped tthe exhaust so I could get the lambda out.

With less skin on my knuckles than when I started. I reassembled it in the reverse order with the new used lambda.

Let's see if the next 200 miles lights the light .

Still waiting to see what's happening re lambda sensors as I reset the ecu the other day . I thought it was best as I've just fitted my ga16 airbox. I couldn't tell you if it makes a diference or not though. Maybe I should fit a k& n panel filter in there. Picture to come later.

Saturday brought rust :-(

I found it whilst doing another job which I'll get to in a mo

It will have to do with a rub down and paint for now.

But onto the job in hand. After getting the tint earlier in the week it was time to do something with it. Now I don't know if it was because it was cheap, but it was bloody thick stuff, and not the nicest to use. The results are ok but not as tidy as it could have been. You can't see the untidy bits but it just bugs me.

Mellow yellow :)

As the sun was out I thought I'd put my shades back on.

All being well the second one will be done tomorrow.

I nearly forgot. ... I have this to fit as well.

Its just a little more compact than the existing coolant reservoir and should allow me to get a cold air feed into the gap between inner and outer wings.

Hi great project you have there and "Red" is looking good, have not come across a 2001 Sport+ before, I like the tail spoiler looks similar to the Super S one? Is the front spoiler original to the car (looks like a SE spoiler)because the colour looks slightly different to the body also have you ventilated discs on the front and rear? The tinted headlight lens covers look great where did you get them from?

Thanks for sharing your project am looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers
Andy

I assumed that it was all original. Sadly I only have solid discs on the front, (drum rear) although I don't know if that's correct, it failed is mot before I bought and the garage had agreed that it would have a full mot when I purchased it. One thing it needed was discs so they changed them.

The headlight covers I got off a couple of people on facebook. Ended up with 2 sets. So tinted one set myself. Ive had some laminx film knocking about for a few years ago used that.

Time to catch up a bit, but i've been a bit busy. I finally got some front grilles, not what I wanted, but it had been such a **** about getting them i ended up keeping them and using them. I now have ph1 facelift grilles on a ph2 facelift. I have painted them black to match the theme of the car.

Other jobs done recently, the addition of a Roof Rack, not 100% happy with the bars and looking for some aero cross bars at the moment. Also looking to lower the rack somehow.

My old grey flaps now resprayed black

20150627_183328_zpsg6zcrbqr.jpg

Fantastic sounding Sportex 3" back box fitted on Saturday just gone, along with a much needed oil and filter change.

I still have an air filter on its way, so fingers crossed it will be here next week :)

As some of you may have seen on face book, poor old Red got a smack in the chops on Wednesday morning. She's feeling a little under the weather but all is very positive. She still runs and drives but I've had to use duct tape to stop her eyes falling out. Pictures to follow.

Just after impact, a scaffolding lorry decided he didn't want to turn left at a t junction. After pulling away he stopped, put it in reverse and floored it :-( , luckily I'd just released the hand brake to pull forward so got shunted back rather than taking it full force. I've had the car looked at and apart from the air conditioning rad being bent, it's all cosmetic :) The guy who hit me has agreed to pay for it to be fixed so it doesn't get written off :)

I hope you're okay. And well done for getting back on the horse. This is a lovely car and needs saving!

Finally got my donor car, it's red but the wrong red. It's a tidy one so all is good. It not financially viable to get the donor back up to scratch so I'm afraid it's curtains for the poor soul. But I do get to keep mine :)

With new enthusiasm I decided that wins deflectors were needed. So I bought some off Jack on facebook. They are made by G3 and by far the nicest ones I've fitted to a car. Good shape, not too dark. Real easy secure fitting.

Hi. Can I ask about your roof rack.

I bought a 2nd hand one, similar but not quite the same as yours for my 5dr.
Does your whistle at anything over 40mph? Also in heavy rain mine caused leaks past the door seals. So I took it off again!
Just wondered.

Cheers. If you come up with a solution to the whistling let me know, the guy I bought mine off said he used duct tape on some parts to quieten it but I've not attempted that.

Busy weekend ahead, last weekend I stripped down the donor for the bits I need. So that was bonnet and wings, bumper and mounts then as you might of seen on facebook the whole front panel.

I was meant to be getting it done by the guy that hit me but after him leaving me the donor car all seems to have gone quiet.

I've waited too long so have arranged for a local mobile mechanic to come round and weld the front panel on to the car on Saturday.

Fridays job is to strip my car ready for welding.

Its not turned out the best way but I got to keep my car.

I really enjoy driving mine. So am pleased we didn't go through the insurance. Would have been annoyed if it had been written off. Ive got enough bits on the donor to cover costs so can't complain.

Back