Recon Gearbox probs....

Micra 110

Site Supporter
Just had a Recon Gearbox, New Clutch, Thrust Bearing and New Cable fitted.

The cable has had to be adjusted to the limit just to get the Gearbox to engage.

The Clutch peddle has to be pushed right down to the floor...that happens anyway...but is quite solid having to push down hard. When pulling away as normal instead of the peddle coming up halfway (to the bite point) the bite point is about an 1 or 2 inches from the deck.

Will it get easier to change gear as the Clutch wears in or do we have a problem with the Clutch Cable?

I made sure the Cable was the correct one, could it be that it's too short by a few Inches?

The Garage i take it to is very competent so i can't really doubt their ability.

This is far from the norm i'm used to.

Any ideas peeps?

cheers :)

Think this is normal as my first micras clutch was going and the biting point was right at the top, but when i got the super, which had just had the clutch done it was right by the deck and was quite solid to push.

You will get used to it i think i did....lol

Mine was set like that, deliberatly. I don't like clutches where you can take your foot off several inches for anything to happen. Didn't appear to cause any damage to the clutch despite people saying it would, so i wouldn't worry about it! The clutch cable won't be new, so chances are, it just needs adjusting if you want to change the biting point.

It's now dropping out of 1st Gear and 3rd Gear, it's done it several times and is making driving virtually impossible. I almost got hit today because as i went to accelerate away it popped out of 1st and almost left me in a bit of a mess....on the 3rd Gear it's like the gear lever doesn't go forward enough and pops out even on a smooth road.....

Does anyone know what gets replaced in a Recon Gearbox?

micra 110

some recon g/boxes just get a steamclean :eek: , others get new bearings, syncro,s, forks etc

That's what i'm thinking!....:suspect:

Admitedly the gearbox sounds smooth as, it's even got a nice quiet whistle to it but something is not right somewhere.

The gearbox has been covered in silver spray paint....but looks clean, like it's been steamcleaned....o_O

I found someone selling an Engine and a Starter motor on a bidding site under the name of the company i bought the Gearbox through. The 2 items came back with negative feedback. both items cost around £1300.....

i'll have a word with the company on Monday and see what they have to say for themselves.

The clutch sounds normal, if the clutch has just been replaced then the bite should be near the floor, it should ease up over time. as for the box, sounds fishey to me, it shouldnt pop out of gear like that, sounds like someones taken you for a ride! demand your money back.

It's now dropping out of 1st Gear and 3rd Gear, it's done it several times and is making driving virtually impossible. I almost got hit today because as i went to accelerate away it popped out of 1st and almost left me in a bit of a mess....on the 3rd Gear it's like the gear lever doesn't go forward enough and pops out even on a smooth road.....

this sounds to me like the selector linkages arent acting properly...may be the bracket at the back of the transmision (wherethe selector rods connect to and pivot on) may have become bent or twisted slightly.....creating an error between "what you ask for at the gear shift end" and "what you get at the input to the gearbox end"

ie your not getting enough "upwards movement" at the gearbox end even when the gear lever is fully up in the cab.....but theres more than enough downwards movement ensuring 2nd, 4th & R....

I know this test may be a bit long winded, but it would prove if this is the case.....

Assistant required:
-> Keep the handbrake firmly on and chock the back wheels......and make sure the car doesnt have anythin infront of it incase you take off during the tests
-> start the car with the clutch disengaged and simulate some lode by letting the bite go quite deep......not for too long though or clutch will suffer. If you can get it to pop put of gear like this then you can do the following test......

-> get an assistant to shift the gears while you learn what happens at the gearbox selector for each gear (or may be just first gear)

-> disconnect the select linkage from the gearbox selector at the gearbox end and tie it up securely to the reference rod.

-> use a screwdriver through the gearbox selector bolt hole and while assistant presses clutch...you firmly select first gear using the screwdriver method....be sure that the selector is pulled as far 'out' of the box as possible (1st & 3rd)
-> start the car with the clutch disengaged and repeat the deep bite test

if it pops out this time...suspect the gearbox

if it stays planted in 1st (& 3rd? for 3rd too) suspect the setup of the linkages

or is this just too rediculous?

Does anyone know what gets replaced in a Recon Gearbox?

Admitedly the gearbox sounds smooth as, it's even got a nice quiet whistle to it but something is not right somewhere.

youve been conned mate it should be very quite with no noise at all

its knackered send it back through there front window...

Starting to get messy

I've done the checks suggested by sammohung and it still pops out of gear. I rang up the company and asked them to give us a replacement Gearbox which they've said yes to but are refusing to pay for the Labour charge which will obviously be incurred as a result of their incompetence.

I've spoken to trading standards.

Another gearbox fitted

we now have another Gearbox fitted. Everything is now working as it should be. just waiting for the dodgy gearbox to be picked up. It's been a complete knightmare with money spent for no reason.

Hopefully this will be the end of the matter.

But if you really want to know what the company is called please feel free to PM me.

cheers

The gearbox is still sat here waiting.(*Edit* now gone)
I stayed in all day yesterday, same again today.
Yesterday the divvy sent a Fax with the wrong address, twice, they gave me a code number but i was the one who had to ring up to get things sorted. Today they still needed a kick up the ass by the missus....i would tell you how much this little debacle has cost us but i'm too embarrassed to say, although we're going to try and get something back for all the hassle they've caused!

The name of the company is Mr Engine.net
hopeless.gif

I've seen 2 other sales on the net and both of those were dodgy as well.

http://uk.three.ebid.net/perl/normal.cgi?user=shaun925&mo=user-rating&type=feed

Stay clear of these people like the plague......

Back