Recommend me a car £1000-1800 budget

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
I am going to sell the micra but I am nto sure what to replace it with.

Heres my requirements.
- needs to be jap
- 1.3 or bigger (1.6 is my preferance)
- decent fuel economy like 40mpg average mixed
- 5/4 seats

At the moment I am thinking corolla gti 1990-92 model or if there is levin to far beyond my budget the 20v 1.6 1996 ones I would go for that.

Anything you guys can recommend to me? As I am not too sure what I want but if nothing comes to my mind the the corolla gti is my backup car lol will just need to search for a decent one though.

Jabran

Nah not too keen on the new micras and it's outta my range anyway. insurance isn't a prob since I am gonna be on trade.

old mr2 or celica, bit bigger engine and slightly less mpg than required but i think a lot better looking and better car or honda civic

Suzuki swift gti absoulutly great fun and pretty fast too my friend had one that keeps up with my mates pugeot 205 1.9 gti oo and a Rover metro gti ( i know its not jap ) but i used to have one and im thinking off maybee getting another what a great fun car fast too

yeah swift gtis are pretty good but hard to find a rust free one or very little rust lol.

But thats A car I have been considering as well but might be too tin canny for me. but we'll see, I'll add it to the list of cars to consider.

Oh and it is Jap lol.

Astra mk4? Not fancy but the 1.8 is great and your specifications dont allow for too much like. :)

Why does it need to be jap again?

Almera?

swifts are popular on ebay and piston heads, theyre pretty easy to find rust free found some nice gti turbo ones on ebay before and such an easy car to modify and work with apparently

Have had a Glanza in the past, Nice car, reasonably fast but it's too much of tin can somewhat like the micra is ( not much comfort at all).

Why does it need to be jap?

Because euro cars are pretty crappy in the sense of reliability and parts etc. Being a mechanic and workign on car they are the ones that end up with expensive faults which tend to re-occur later on.

Some cars are o.k like passats etc which aren't too bad but I am a japense car lover through and through, Won't be a euro car unless it's a real bargain.

Primera GT,
Bullet Proof SR20 engine
As a daily drive I get between 38-42 MPG and on long distance journeys up to 48 MPG.
You can pick up a Primera GT 1999 or so for around the 1k mark easy.

Plus when you get bored it can easily be turbo'd ;) set of forged pistons with a pulsar manifold/turbo and you're good for 300+ BHP.

Or as the 1.6 is your preference then either a 1.6 Almera or Primera.

Celica ST Generation 6 - A nice coupe, 1.8 engine, FWD. It's a nice looking car but the engine only produces 115BHP more or less. So you have a nice looking car but not a lot of grunt in those front wheels. Apparently this car handles great for a FWD. You could stretch to the GT or GT-4. I believe the GT has 150BHP and the GT-4 is 200+ with AWD.

Primera SRi/GT - These 2 as they are the better looking trims; spoilers, alloys wheels etc. I have a Primera SRi, having only 130BHP you'll still be surprised with what it can do. Unfortunately I haven't experienced the GT version as Im still waiting for Ollie to offer me a ride.:wasntme: These 2 are well with in your price range, both are FWD.

Mazda MX-5 1.6 or 1.8 - Not very spacious cars, but they are both RWD so it may suffice? The 1.6 is I think 120BHP or so and the 1.8 is 140BHP. The 1.8 clears a 0 - 60 time in 7 seconds so you'll be more than entertained with this little car.

Mazda MX-3 - I think these come in a V6 engine? 2.0 I believe? You can get these fairly cheap, being a V6 it'll be a smooth ride Im assuming. I dont know much about this car but the V6 engine does sound good.

Lexus IS200 - A nice saloon car, you can get these in your price range if you're lucky, there are plenty of people who want rid of these. I think they come with a 2.0 Inline 6. So it'll be smooth. It comes with 150BHP and is rear wheel drive. I think insurance isn't so bad on these. Im 19 and I can get a pretty nice price.

Almera - Im not so sure about these cars, but Im assuming that they come with the same specs as the Primera.

Nissan 100NX - A car I previously owned, not a bad car. The looks are either you hate it or like it, but it comes with a pretty nifty GA16DE engine. 105BHP, FWD, removable targa roof, all the stuff you need I guess.

Turbo/NA Shopping trolleys - The Glanza.. GT Turbo.. Suzuki Swift GTI.. Well whatever people have mentioned above.

Mazda 323F - The old one, Im not sure about the engine power or anything, but who doesn't like pop up head lights, I sure do love them.

Mitsubishi Colt - They come in 1.6 engines, Im talking about the old ones though.

Civic - Need I say more?

I hope I've helped.

you do realise his upper budget is £1800? Doubtful to get a good glanza for that much. GT is a nice car, still a bit pushed to get one for that price.

Id say the almera/primera with an SR20, easy to get a hold of, great engine.

honda civic , pick up an esi, get a vti conversion, do it in less than a day, 160bhp from the off and ofcourse you get a freaking vtech baby, you wont find a faster 1.6 for the cash

I am thinking Of this car, Waiting for my cheque to come in the post and then I may go and take a peek at it if it's still around.

5c29_1.jpg

What do you think? Really love the 20v engine and with a bit of haggling I think he'll come round its been around for sale for a few months now. Damn it why is that cheque taking so long.

Volvo 480 1.7 turbo :D Great handling cars about 160 bhp but with a rich mod ecu remap supposed to take it up to 180 bhp plus they are fun looking cars wouldnt mind one myself :D

how much is it for sale for?

that's up for £2200, hope he's willing to budge. people normally put a bit on top to allow for bartering. These cars are rock solid can go ages without going wrong and don;t require a lot apart from the usual maintenance.

Not a fan of the volvo's i'm afraid although the s80's are quite comfortable.

480 turbos are great cars, worth considering at least no? The only problem I have with mine is the wheel spin in 3rd gear ;)

hehe yea from what ive heard and saw they a pretty impresive machine and cheap insurance too not to mention volvo are one of the worlds safest cars :D (they invented the seat belt :p )

Personally, for that money I would go for something rear wheel drive, with a v6. Maybe a 3.0 ish bmw or maybe you could find an rx7 for that sort of money.

Celica ST Generation 6 - A nice coupe, 1.8 engine, FWD. It's a nice looking car but the engine only produces 115BHP more or less. So you have a nice looking car but not a lot of grunt in those front wheels. Apparently this car handles great for a FWD. You could stretch to the GT or GT-4. I believe the GT has 150BHP and the GT-4 is 200+ with AWD.

Primera SRi/GT - These 2 as they are the better looking trims; spoilers, alloys wheels etc. I have a Primera SRi, having only 130BHP you'll still be surprised with what it can do. Unfortunately I haven't experienced the GT version as Im still waiting for Ollie to offer me a ride.:wasntme: These 2 are well with in your price range, both are FWD.

Mazda MX-5 1.6 or 1.8 - Not very spacious cars, but they are both RWD so it may suffice? The 1.6 is I think 120BHP or so and the 1.8 is 140BHP. The 1.8 clears a 0 - 60 time in 7 seconds so you'll be more than entertained with this little car.

Mazda MX-3 - I think these come in a V6 engine? 2.0 I believe? You can get these fairly cheap, being a V6 it'll be a smooth ride Im assuming. I dont know much about this car but the V6 engine does sound good.

Lexus IS200 - A nice saloon car, you can get these in your price range if you're lucky, there are plenty of people who want rid of these. I think they come with a 2.0 Inline 6. So it'll be smooth. It comes with 150BHP and is rear wheel drive. I think insurance isn't so bad on these. Im 19 and I can get a pretty nice price.

Almera - Im not so sure about these cars, but Im assuming that they come with the same specs as the Primera.

Nissan 100NX - A car I previously owned, not a bad car. The looks are either you hate it or like it, but it comes with a pretty nifty GA16DE engine. 105BHP, FWD, removable targa roof, all the stuff you need I guess.

Turbo/NA Shopping trolleys - The Glanza.. GT Turbo.. Suzuki Swift GTI.. Well whatever people have mentioned above.

Mazda 323F - The old one, Im not sure about the engine power or anything, but who doesn't like pop up head lights, I sure do love them.

Mitsubishi Colt - They come in 1.6 engines, Im talking about the old ones though.

Civic - Need I say more?

I hope I've helped.

these came with a 1.6 I4, a 1.8 V6 and a 2.0 V6.... the v6 engines in the mazda's from 1992-1998 where one of the best engines ever made.
yamaha made them for ford and mazda to be used in the mx-6 and ford probe V6 GT's
very reliable and sound awesome..

Back