Rear Wheel Bearing problems

S

shirley

Hi,
I'm new here and I know next to nothing about cars so I thought I'd ask for advice.
My car is a 1.2 SX 2003 34000 miles. It was serviced 3 times by Nissan and last time in July 2006 (P1 service) and I have done 6500 miles since.
I took my car for MOT at a local (not Nissan) garage last week and I was NOT expecting anything to go wrong!!! They said that the rear wheel bearing needed replacing, £100, otherwise they would have to fail the MOT.
I just wanted to know if it is normal for this part to go at this mileage or if not, what should I do?

did they show you what was up with it?

as in they took you to the offending wheel and demonstrated its looseness...id not expect it to wear down that quickly, though if the wheel has taken a wack (a curb for example) it could have caused it to be damaged.

No they didn't and honestly, even if they did.....I don't have a clue!!!!They said that the wheel had movement sideways and up and down.
But they gave me the part that was damaged (at least I think it's mine...). I don't recall driving over a curb or else so I don't understand. Is it possible that they ripped me off? I didn't think it was possible to do that at MOT.
I have contacted Nissan UK about the problem because I think that if I service my car with them, I shouldn't have that kind of "surprise" at the MOT.
If anyone has had this problem, please could you let me know what you did.
Thanks

did they check the hub nut holding the bearing wasnt loose?,

rear bearings can go on k12's at anytime any milage, its a simple take clip out, press out bearing, press new one in, put clip back in and put drum back on car and tighten the nut, can be done in less than 30 minutes as ive done it many times

I don't know what they checked exactly. A few of my friends have used this garage in the past and never had any problems with them so I thought that I could trust them as well. They've charged me for 1 hour's work.
Thanks for your help

Good evening.

Did you hear a whinning or rubbing noise coming from your car while driving, usually at speed?

My bearing gets changed on Monday, rear right. Only 37000 miles on the clock, horrible noise at 20 MPH and vile racket at 60MPH.

I know this is an old thread, but my right rear bearing also went at 23,000........it also appears to eat brake pads......( I drive it the same as I did the k10, k11)

Hmmmmm the more I read the more I recognise as things that have already gone wrong or potentially could with this K12......still got some warranty left so want to get all sorted before it runs out............never wanted a k12 but my k11 was written off and the dealer offered 0% finance.........I'm booked back in for Thurs due to dipped beam not working....sure its to do with the intelligent lighting (not) as Ive checked bulbs etc..........anyone else got any other common faults?

wifes 04 with 34k has same issue with bearing, also eats pads and disks, seat wearing away badly, trim loose, SHOCKING tyre prices and wipper prices.... mass run around car i think not.... never had an opinion of nissan before wife's micra, think i shall revert to using DATSUN....

3rd time lucky???

Hi,
I'm the one who posted this thread 4 years ago and asked for advice. My car is in the garage for an MOT and is about to get its THIRD WHEEL BEARING!!!!!! I thought that I would let everyone know. 2 rear nearside(34,000 and 66,000) miles and 1 rear offside (54,000 miles).
I was told that I was "Unlucky" (thanks for that!!!) and that it could be because I drive too much on bad roads (I'm not responsible for the state of british roads) or not enough (perhaps I should use my car to get milk at the shop a few yards away).......
Has anyone ever had or heard about this problem ? (I haven't) and do you think that it would be worth taking this up with Nissan HQ as I was told that the garage doesn't look at bearings during service and hasn't done so in 20 years..?? Is this true and if so why not??
Thanks a lot and any help is appreciated

Seems to be a known fault Shirley. Having said that, I only needed my first one replacing at 97,000 and that was rear passenger side (never did understand offside and nearside :laugh:), just lucky I guess. Are your garage using genuine Nissan parts each time?

Seems to be a known fault Shirley. Having said that, I only needed my first one replacing at 97,000 and that was rear passenger side (never did understand offside and nearside :laugh:), just lucky I guess. Are your garage using genuine Nissan parts each time?

Hi,
I hope so, took it to Nissan for MOT as it's close and convenient. They charged 1hour 20mn @ £96ph +VAT!!!!! I called around other garages in the area and asked them how much they charged labour per hour and most were around £60. Called back Nissan and "told" them about my "disappointment" and made clear that it was out of order, they brought it down to £84 VAT included. Seems worth shopping around.....

I am having to replace rear wheel bearings for the third time in 30,000 miles. Professionally replaced bearings and seals are Nissan sourced . Normal driving and no obvious ill use. There has to be some inherent design fault but I cannot see any problem with this simple arrangement or with my installation. Has anyone bottomed this problem ?

Back