rear swaybar

CMF_mrh

» CMF Member
Hey there, just after some information on rear swaybars.

At the momment my car is stock and in the future I want to lower it a little and do the suspension properly.

But in the meantime though I would like to update my rear swaybar.

I am happy with the way car handles but my problem is when I have direction change. That can get scary going around corners at higher than normal speeds.

Any info would be great thanks.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I'd upgrade the front and rear swaybar at the same time to be honest.

Will keep the handling much more neutral. If you just whack the rear sway on you might find yourself having a bit of fun keeping the rear end in line.

cisco

» CMF Member
Our old white Super S was quite taily with just a rear swaybar installed. Could get the tail to come out easily.. But handled nice and flat for just doing that modification along with springs and konis. Great bang for your buck performance upgrade.

Plus the adjustability of the whiteline rear bars is great to have.

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
sorry to bring up an old thread.... BUT, i could only find stuff in old posts.

wondering if its worth buying an adjustable rear swaybar from whiteline rather than just a 20mm one??

does anyone with an adjustable one ever change it??

im only driving the car on the road so would it be necessary with a 20mm bar to buy the link kit aswell??

atm im just going to start with the rear cos ive read on a few posts that it helps most. and maybe in the near future get a front one. on that note any1 got any suggestions from experience?? has anyone done exactly thins and noticed a great improvement.

also can some1 tell me what rear trailing arms do?? are they worth it?

oh and along with the bar im ordering a castor kit so it should be pretty sweet.

tris

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
The rear is fine and does give the most bang for buck upgrade however if you can find it in your budget to fit the front there will be a noticable increase there too. I installed the rear on my car first (and then the following days finished off the rest of the stuff) and found that the rear was amazing to have on even by itself and stock suspension. Go the 22mm swaybar for max. effect, although the 20mm one will be more than adequate.

The rear trailing arms adjust caster on the rear axle and reduce the directional load on the rear axle. Not essential unless you want to really have maximum adjustability.

In my opinion, go for the camber bolts and the rear swaybar (front if you can as well) and you will feel the difference, although this is assuming you already have uprated shocks/springs...

Sean

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
thanks heaps sean!

yeah i have apexxi springs and kyb shocks, its lowered 3cm or something so it actually handles pretty well as is. although still a bit of body roll. i can afford the front but i actualy wana see the difference aswell with just one before i get the 2nd... if it feels fine with just the rear then i might leave it however if i still feel it would be better ill go for the front aswell.

i wonder tho if its worth the extra $60 for the adjustable one or will i only ever use the one setting?? also if i was to go for the 22mm then i will definately need the heavy duty links (which i might actualy get anyway just to be safe!)

tris

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
tris

when i put some negative camber on mine (the cheapskate way, with a drill), i found it was eating front tyres at zero toe-in.
and found that 2 or 3mm of toe-out helped a lot

frank

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
yeah thats why im going to get a castor kit which effectively gives the wheels camber but only when turning.. and when in a straight line it has 0 camber, or just stock camber. hopefully that way it wiont eat tyres but still be sweet for cornering!! do you think toe will still be needed in this case??

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
tris

no, i doubt it, my only reservation is with the castor route, i think its proportional to how much lock you give it, so a long corner will get very little neg camber, and a tight one will get loads

frank

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
yeah true.... well ill see how it goes, maybe i will get some camber bolts too.most of my driving is on the street so its not massively high speed therefore i do need to turn the steering while quite a bit.

ill see how it goes anyway!

thanks, tris

Back