Rear Suspension Mod?

so i've read posts about eliminating the dreaded body roll especially at the back by putting multiple antiroll bars on the trailing arms for the dead axle.

essentially it forces the trailing arms to move up and down together only and not so much relative to one another to produce body roll.

what if the joint where the arms connected to the dead axle was welded off completely? shouldn't that bring roll to zero and yet allow the car to move up and down? i think i have seen some euros like that, where there is one subframe only allowing for up and down.

opinions please and if anyone willing to do it and report back it would be awesome.

welded solid would probably snap off in use tho eh, my new trailing arms are rubber bush mounted (if you can see the faint red arrows where the bushes are) and has reduced the droop/roll bigtime :)
the n/s shocker is only half extended, but the rigid axle wont let it drop

axl2.jpg
ax1.JPG

frank whats up buddy

i am not sure what i am seeing but it looks quite crafty.

i see two arrows in the first pic. does that mean that your trailing arms bolt to 2 places on the dead axle? isn't the upper bushe where the shock bolts?

or is the bar shown in the second pic the one that holds everything together?

oh and about the weld snapping thing

i thought that the two bushes where the arms bolt to the car would allow some but very little flex and i dont know if the car could exert enough force to break the weld. there is another thing though - my trailing arms are the round ones and i dont know if they will bend

an N16 one is solidly welded look, but the trailing arms are designed to twist (flat bladed spring steel) mine is more like the suzuki alto, with straight arms and 2 bushes at the axle end (where the 2 arrows are)

n16.jpg

frank what you have done with the trailing arms is genius. it is because it bolts to the axle in two places that it doesnt allow for the roll. and thanks for the pic it proves to me that it could theoretically be welded off. will spend some time studying it and decide if i will try to follow you or take the plunge and weld it off. honestly i think both ways will work awesomely. your input was priceless!!

welded solid would probably snap off in use tho eh, my new trailing arms are rubber bush mounted (if you can see the faint red arrows where the bushes are) and has reduced the droop/roll bigtime :)
the n/s shocker is only half extended, but the rigid axle wont let it drop

View attachment 21848View attachment 21849

Hey Frank,

With the back axel are you using the original lower trailing arms to the same mounts?

And if you dont mind me asking, whats the chain for?

tea leafs = thieves ... Nasty people who steal things and drive white vans live in caravans... it is a stereotype but generally true. some are nice, but some are not.

Seems like not too hard a thing to do tbh. without making any less of your work at all you know I am not like that. Been sitting and thinking of what I would be able to acheive with a welder, I rekon I get something similar done, just would take me a few attempts.

Seems like not too hard a thing to do tbh. without making any less of your work at all you know I am not like that. Been sitting and thinking of what I would be able to acheive with a welder, I rekon I get something similar done, just would take me a few attempts.
have a go chris :) make sure you have no toe-out tho !
and yes drums, i like to have a working handbrake :)

Damn, I need this idea for my project :( I don't want to roll on front and back arches though.

The front will be ok cos all i need is camber front bolts.

How about back? You can get rear camber bolts if you got 4wd Micra. We got only 2wd Micras so I need to work this idea out soon.

Frank, are you running on both cambers?

I will upload diagram pics of modified axle soon. it will be bent on both rear drum sides. Its going to be cutting and welding. Is it possible?

Cheers jk

frank said:
no camber front or rear on the white car jk, its eating enough front tyres without camber

Nice. What about red car? Yea if I run on both cambers then these tyres will be worn out quickly right? I don't mind but i want to run on both cambers on this summer only. (approx 2 or 3months)

There is a pic of custom axle that you posted it before. Check on this thread somewhere on first page... It looks like rear camber though.

Nice. What about red car? Yea if I run on both cambers then these tyres will be worn out quickly right? I don't mind but i want to run on both cambers on this summer only. (approx 2 or 3months)

There is a pic of custom axle that you posted it before. Check on this thread somewhere on first page... It looks like rear camber though.
yes the red car has camber front and rear, and the wear rate will depend more on the way you drive it and the hp, rather than camber :)

frank said:
yes the red car has camber front and rear, and the wear rate will depend more on the way you drive it and the hp, rather than camber :)

I might need to take your ideas on your red Micra :) There are alot of choices so I still got time :) thanks :D

Back