rear number plate lighting??

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
for all you people out there who have a smoth gate and had to relocate the number plate, how did yo light it?

i want the most subtle light i can find...

i first experimented with mini cold cathodes but they were too big for my taste
then i went for micro leds round the number plate bolt but they were too delecate
now i'm on LED strips at the top and bottom but i'd like something even smaller.

but on the other hand i have thought about using the K10 tits....

what have you guys done?

yea? any pics?

at the mo i'm using LEDs that are 1mm square can i get any smaller?

thanks mate

that's perfect k11 dave, how did you do that again? have you just put really bright lights behind the numberplate that shine through it?

Thats a pretty kool idea that. :) The other option is to get a recess made in the bumper. Gives the car extra lines and keeps the light hidden well out of sight. Looks good. :D

yeah tvr way is the way to go my dads old chimera had a transluscent backing on it where the lights shone thru the no plate lighting it leaving it smooth and looked pretty damn cool

so it's what the plate is made out off? and you can't do it with just a regular plate?

because i've just had a custom plate made up:down:

ok i'll post a pic tommorow cos the plate is at home...

i haven't got the boot smoothed at the mo but when i do i want a mini number plate.
i'll get some pics of the cathodes as well...

RE: RE: rear number plate lighting??

nissanmansco said:
yeah tvr way is the way to go my dads old chimera had a transluscent backing on it where the lights shone thru the no plate lighting it leaving it smooth and looked pretty damn cool

Yeah, it was a Chimera plate that I used. TBH, I think it's a regular honeycomb plate but a clear backing rather than an opaque one. Drilled 2 holes through from inside the boot and put a pair of PIAA 12 LED bulbs through (about £34 iirc)

this is my mini numberplate. u used a pen to show how small it is :)

num.jpg

then the same pen to show how small the cathode is...

num2.jpg

is it possible to peel off the numberplate from the backing and stick it to a transparent backing?

yea, it would still be yellow but the plastic it's stuck to would be transparent so the light would shine through the plastic and through the yellow reflective stuff that the number plate is made out of...

i'm just wondering if i peel it off with i ever be able to get it flat again... or will it rip etc

Am not too sure how much light you would get through that yellow backing though as it's not really designed to be lit from the back. The honeycomb ones are designed to let light through them. If you are using that plate, I reckon you're best off lighting from the front

ok thanks mate... i'll have to see if i can get one of these honeycomb ones made up...

Back