rear brake shoes questions

noticed the rear brakes have started to squeal so im thinking the shoes need changing done 58k, I have also noticed that the rear brakes have become abit snatchy, when pulling up the handbrake an moving slowly can feel them grabbing and letting go, would this be due to worn shoes aswel or the drum ?? also anyone have any guides on have to remove and install the new shoes as ive only ever done front brakes before.

Also what is the correct travel for the handbrake (number of clicks) cheers

paul (polly) posted a guide up last week kemp, and chamfering the leading edge of the shoes usually prevents any grabbing :)
k12 drums need the bearing nut removed eh

Replaced the rear brake shoes as they had worn, the drivers side rotates with a slight grab from the shoes after pressing the brake pedal for the self adjusters to work. However the passengers side seems to rotate to easily and as we also have quite a low brake pedal now. I was wondering if this is possibly incorrectly adjusted. Before I remove the drum again can you reverse and apply the brakes hard to activate the self adjusters or does this not work ? Cheers. :)

on the k11 the self adjusters are operated by the handbrake cable end lever on the shoes, hydraulic piston does nothing to the adjuster.

once the self adjusters thread/nut has been cleaned n greased n fully retracted, you slowly apply the handbrake several times and in a quiet garage you can hear the ratchet working to turn the adjustment screw and move the shoes outwards.
when the ratchet clicking stops and the handbrake lever applies within like 8 clicks rather than alot, then that means the resting point of the shoes are now as close as possible to the drums and can only now use the hydraulic brakes.

Back