Brake cylinders and shoes problem - help!

Hi all,

I took Mrs stokefan's R reg K11 in for its MOT yesterday, and it failed :(

The tester said something about the rear brake on one side, and the handbrake. (sorry I can't remember more details) he mentioned that what he thinks has happened is that fluid has leaked over the brakes and teh shoes, and is perhaps causing them to not funciton properly, so he failed the car.

Unfortunately neither myself of my gf have got time to get a second opinion from a garage on tihs, but the garage where the MOT is being done is quoting £120 to fix this (if they check properly this morning and it is actually what they say).

Sorry for the lack of info, but from what I've said - what do you all think?
If the problem is what he said, do you think it is something that would cost £120-130 to fix (new rear cylinders fitted I assume)

thanks!

update - garage has just rung and said its the seal on one cylinder which has perished, and fluid has leaked through onto the shoes. He's going to replace both cylinders so we dont get a brake inbalance, at a total cost including VAT and the MOT test of £158. :(

wilsonian

Ex. Club Member
OK, I had this with my micra however it must have been either leaking pretty bad or worse for it to show up on the MOT as the brake tests are a joke (My older K11 passed when one side had seized)

Anyway, these cylinder faults can be a common problem on older K11's however being charge £150 to sort it out is stupid. If you had the time you could have done it your self for less than half that!

cylinder's cost about £10 each
Rear Brake Shoes - £15-£20 depending on make etc
Brake Fluid - £5
MOT - £30-40 depending on where you go plus 90% of places do a free retest within 7 days.

I've replaced my rears before and it can be a bit fiddly but the haynes covers it ok.

cheers for that Wilsonian

:( i'm not overly happy with the much hyped "Formula 1 Autocentres", seem expensive.

Neither me nor my Mrs would have the slightest idea about changing that stuff, and being as its her car, she wouldn't even let me have a go, especially when it comes to stuff like brakes.

Shame - I must be in the wrong business

wilsonian

Ex. Club Member
I got charged £112 for a new wishbone and MOT. it was when i'd just started out so I didn't have a clue how to replace the wishbone. Anyway year later the other side fails so I check out the prices and not only do I find out their £20 (i was charged £35+VAT) but fitting it was easy as pie! I was sooooo annoyed I hadn't just taken my car away and had it retested the new week.

Since then I've never used that MOT station.

good point about MOT station, I think I wanna find one that is *completely* unbiased and independant from any deals or connections with garages.

wilsonian

Ex. Club Member
Well I use a pug garage basicly because my dads mate works there and he knows the family and if theres any little jobs needing doing he'll let me know also I get charged at staff rates so MOT for £20 - yes please! :D

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
in all honesty that aint a bad price -
£45MOT fee
£22 Retest fee
£20 wheel cylinders
£20 brake shoes
£5 brake fluid
Hours labour ( my garage charges £54 )

£166 - thats without VAT so

Daz :alien:

K10Daz said:
in all honesty that aint a bad price -
£45MOT fee
£22 Retest fee
£20 wheel cylinders
£20 brake shoes
£5 brake fluid
Hours labour ( my garage charges £54 )

£166 - thats without VAT so

Daz :alien:

makes me feel a bit better, so thanks! :)

wilsonian

Ex. Club Member
Yeah true but it's still a bitter pill to swollow.

IMHO do a beginners course on cars at night school and start doing some of the work your self :D you'll save the pennies!

Thanks for the nightschool suggestions, and I've got the Haynes guys, but I can 99% guarantee that my Mrs wouldnt let me touch her brakes!

K10Daz said:
bring it round to mine - ill do it as a homer lol

lol what on earth is a homer?!

Cheers for the offer though, I would have taken you up on that if I didnt need to go away at the end of the week, and the fact my Mrs needs it today!! :(