Rattly/scraping noise from gearbox?

Hi guys, first post here having just picked up a 51 plate 1.0.
Had a bit of a search to see if anyone else had these symptoms but didn't really find anything so here goes. I find that when driving, in pretty much all gears and all speeds I'm getting a light scraping sound from the front left, a bit like binding brakes. This only happens with the clutch up (ie drive engaged), when the clutch is down the noise is a lot less pronounced.
All gears can be selected smoothly and the clutch is not slipping or vibrating. So, any clues as to the problem? I think I can rule out the release bearing as that only complains when you are pressing the clutch.

Cheers
Andy

I too would like answers to this, i know that the arm from the Gearstick to the Gearbox makes LOADS of noise, but can't see because it looks like exhaust shielding (Or something else) covers the mechanism, although i did blast wd40 up there and it seems to be a bit better!

Ah this is interesting as I've just been under the car trying to solve the problem of the gearstick hitting the shield and found a little broken spring hanging down. Will be interesting to see if replacing the spring solves the scraping noise too.
Does anyone know where the spring is supposed to attach to?

Theres a little spring that attaches onto the rod,

You can see it in this picture.

Attachments

• 14034277768517.png
    14034277768517.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 414
Ok so quick update, I've been to the scrappy today and it seems none of the micras have still got spring no9 on the diagram so I'll proceed without for now. What hasnt been solved however is the scraping noise.
I double checked the brakes weren't sticking and have had it out for a drive today and it seems the noise still happens even when coasting in 3rd, and you can change the tone of the noise above 50mph in neutral by moving the gearstick side to side across the gate. Weird eh. The tone also changes between acceleration and overrun.
I may drain the box down tomorrow, how much and of what viscosity oil would I need? Unless someone can tell me the box has had it and I may as well just chuck another one in and be done with it.
Oh, and I have double checked that nothing is physically touching any of the linkage or driveshaft area, it is all clear.

Hmm get a video up if its audible enough, and whats the heat shield? is it all the like metal mate that runs along an exhaust like pattern on the car?

Sorted. Was a pinion bearing. Whipped out the box and got it all sorted this afternoon. Not ideal but it sounds like these are quite a common failure.

Sorted. Was a pinion bearing. Whipped out the box and got it all sorted this afternoon. Not ideal but it sounds like these are quite a common failure.

Well done mate for sorting it out. How difficult was it? I have exactly the same noise. & if not so difficult would like to sort it. cheers

Back