Scraping noise - brake sticking

lewic

Ex. Club Member
I've noticed a scraping noise coming from the right front wheel of my K10 LS, and tonight traced the problem to the brake sticking - the caliper doesnt move in and out as it should, and the wheel doesnt turn properly when the car is jacked up.

Looks like part of the mechanism needs replacing or de-gunking. Anyone know how long this job is likely to take, or what is likely to be involved?

Unfortunately I havent got the tools or knowledge to tinker with brakes, so am going to have to get it done in a garage - but dont want to be stung for hours of work and/or new parts if all it needs is a clean and some lubrication.

Assume this is a common problem with old cars... shame the previous owner's MOT tester didnt pick it up on it though. Grrrrrrr!

are you definitly sure its that? as the scraping sound can be caused by the metal plate behind the disk rubbing against the disk / caliper. Use a metal object to bash it back into place, and spin the wheel whilst its off the ground, to see if the noise continues.

the brake binding is probably the pads sticking in the carrier, to cure this the pads need removing and cleaning on the ends along with the carrier being cleaned and greases with copper slip/copper grease (same thing different name)

but the scrapeing noise sounds like the pads are worn out and the metal backplate is rubbing the outer rim of the disc, this is your warning to get them replaced ASAP, if you carry on driving much further the rest of the pad material will ware away and the backplate will damage the disc meaning both discs need changing too.

as arnold said it could also be the heatshield rubbing the disc, get it looked at mate or take the wheel off yourself and have a gander :grinning:

The pads were changed in April this year (by the previous owner) so dont think its that. Have the garage receipt and it looks legit.

Last night my mate who knows a bit about cars took the wheel off, we jacked it up and took a look at the brake. He noticed that the right front wheel wasnt turning when you accelerated, but the left one was. And apparantly the caliper wasnt moving when I pressed the brake. Neither of us know enough to tell which bit is actually sticking though - it all looks rather rusty and in need of a major cleanup!

Thanks for all your advice - went to the garage today and the guy freed up the brake, said it was the piston. He reckoned he had cured the scraping but I think its still there, though not as loud, and only seems to happen in 1st and 2nd gear.

The good news is that he has sorted my erratic idling problem, by changing the fuel filter, a leaking vaccum hose, and lubricating the carb linkages (and spent a bit of time showing me whats what under the bonnet!)

Stone guard? Not heard of that. Sounds possible though! Will take it back to the garage if it carries on, as I thought theyd sorted it..

The stone guard will be what i called the heat shield, somtimes suprises me how many names the same part can have :laugh:

he says the noise is from the front though..... another thing that makes a scrapeing noise is the edge of the disc, on old discs the rust flakes off and can grind between the disc and carrier for a few moments.

Back