Radiator empty/head gasket

CMF_Lx_Micra

» CMF Member
Today i checked the car for water and found that it was very low i added about 1.5-2 liters. when i filled it to the top there was foam at the top. it didnt seem to have the shine of oil in it thoe. I keep an eye on the temperature genrally and have never noticed it to go above half way. Theres no smoke or loss of power in the engine. How can i test the car for head gasket problems which may arise in the near future. I had noticed i minor leak on the floor where i park my car but never looked closley at what it is. but i suspect a minor leak from the water pump or near it.

Any information and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Also what would the cost be to get the engine overhauled(Change head gasket)and how hard is it as i work as an Fitter/Electrical Fitter and also how long does it take roughly from start to finish in Hours.

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
I would say you just have a minor leak and not a head gasket problem. One way to see if water is getting past the head gasket is to remove the oil filler cap and look in the top of the cap and if its got a milky white build up in there then your have a blown head gasket or if its real bad the dip stick when pulled out it will show a milky white oil on it. There are testers you can buy that test to see if there carbon dioxide in the coolant but are not needed unless your doing lots of cars eg a motor mech.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
GTRHOLIC WROTE:

"maybe your waterpump has gone. loses water very quickly. had to fill up everyday. fill it up at night, park it and check for puddles in the morning.

Even if you are leaving water behind it might not be the pump, but if it's coming from that area it could be the O-ring at the back of the waterpump that's failed and is letting water through that could be your leak source.

---dens

CMF_Lx_Micra

» CMF Member
well today i got up early and the water hasnt dissapeared as yet since i initially filled it up. It dosent have an oil slick i did get o-rings from work and gasket to remove the water pump and change the seals, but couldnt see the leak from all the oil dust and grime so i decided to get the engine bay washed.

$50 the guy washed the engine bay and the car. came up like brand new

So ive decided to wait till the leak gets slightly larger as it dosent leak much only a drop when i start the car let it idle there for 5 mintues reving to 3000rpm only had a drop. So thank fully no problem with the head gasket.

Last thing so im prepeared does anyone know the size of the O-ring i need?

Thank you to all on the forum.

Back