Dilemma with Head Gasket

CMF_Georgie

» CMF Member
Hi People,

I am new here and really glad to have found this site. I have a ’95 Micra, and love the little thing (have included a photo) However I have run into a spot of bother that I was hoping could get some advice on........

I have just been hit with the news that the head gasket is starting to leak into the cooling system and I really don’t know what to do? I don’t have the skill to fix it myself and the mechanics I have phoned around have either quoted me anywhere up to $1800(AUD) or told me I’d be better to ditch the car. Can you imagine!!! The bit the kills me is that most of the fee is for labour.

I spent just under $3000 when buying it 6 months ago, and have just replaced the cross member (I know I know, see ‘Known issues with K11's....’ on the other page)It’s a beaut little thing and is too good a car for scrap but I don’t know what the best option is??. Any suggestions?

Worst case scenario I would have to sell it on, reduced price, and hope someone with the ability could do it up and have a great car or a tidy profit, or dare I say use the brilliant parts for their other Micra.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

CMF_nsm

» CMF Member
hi, and welcome....i think the labour costs are a bit high,considering the gasket set you need is only around the $150.00 mark...maybe get some quotes from other workshops and see how they compare....i would expect maybe around $1000.00 all up including labour and parts...

nick...

CMF_Georgie

» CMF Member
Thanks Nick, I thought the labour costs were a bit steep too, but then one mechanic said it's a 14 hour job.... Anyone know any good mechanics on the Central Coast NSW?

Georgie

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Maybe investigate the possibilty of fitting a low km jap motor? You may find that mechanics are more keen to just swap out the old and in with the new, rather than remove cylinder heads etc.

I believe they go for around the 600 dollar mark from wreckers, and have approx 50,000km on them.

Just an idea that you may have not considered. Might be worth a few phone calls?

Having seen a micra head gasket up close and personal i'm surprised there's not more failures, as they're a compromise in design to accomodate both engine block designs. i.e open (manual K11) and closed deck (CVT Auto K11).

CMF_Georgie

» CMF Member
ok, I like the way you're thinking re: replace the whole motor. I did give this brief consideration but feared the labour/time costs would add up to be much same. Do you think? I know from speaking to a few mechanics they seemed to dread hearing the words 'fix the head gasket...' a lot of work.

I'd be more than happy to hear of those recommended Sydney mechanics please, it's worth a shot to see what figures they can come up with, I fear I'm being fleeced rotten up here.

Thanks for thrashing this out with me, appreciate it.

CMF_nsm

» CMF Member
hi mate...

spoke to my mechanic in sydney,he will do the labour for $400.00 only...the only other things tou mite need are oils coolant etc...the head is a seperate price depending on what is wrong with it...i can supply the VRS and head bolts if need be...

nick...

Back