Pulsar Help

L

littlemisspvc

I am thinking about changing my micra for a pulsar. I just wondered if anyone her had any experience with Pulsars and had any opinions good or bad about them.

Plus anyone in the North East got one for me to test drive? LOL!

Pulsar bad points. they are an expensive car to own and run. Insaurance group 20, 20-25mpg (30 if your carefull) there are alot of myths about them, and many have been played with now. The interiour is pretty cheap, the K10 super S for example looks allot nicer. They are noisy inside and generally rattle loads, and typically the engine also gets top end tappy, as they have solid lifters which usually seem to be out of spec. The brakes are not really upto the power, and they rot around the rear arches. Most will need new bushes on just about everything now.

Good points are they go fast, no denying that 4wd means they have amazing grip, ride is farily firm, and massive amound of mid range pull.

My food is nearly ready so ill leave it here for now...

They look horrid - I agree with that, though they are growing on me a little, they do need a serious update. The interour gets me more I reckon nissan spent around £10 on all the frabrics combined. It does leave so much room for improvment however - and yes I'd like one too.

A mate of a mate had a white import one and (he said) it had about 300bhp, and it went through gearboxes as if it was putting a new pair of underwear on each day.

Here is some pics from moffat a while back:

DSCN1924.jpg

DSCN1926.jpg

DSCN1927.jpg

masterbiker said:
A mate of a mate had a white import one and (he said) it had about 300bhp, and it went through gearboxes as if it was putting a new pair of underwear on each day.

I know many people and many of the cars ive mapped that have stock gearboxes and dont eat them... He must have abused it.

i have to disagree ed they are a weakness and can only last so long even with kid gloves.. a freind of mine said exactly the same as you and we currently have his Gbox off and neededing 2nd gear re-placing.. they are tough though and do take a while to go but eventually they do go.. the problem is exagerated if you go for heavy big wheels and the usual extra power ect ect ect.. if i was bulding a gti-r thats the first thing i would change the Gbox go for stronger gears or as best as i could afford just fo=r that piece of mind.

they do eat gearboxes pretty quick once you start modifying them around 300bhp... they are quick cars but need loads of TLC would be better off with maybe an impreza if you can afford it...

if the cars be standing for awhile be carefull as the valve/s could get stuck and then the lil bits on the lifters come off and you will get alot of tapping which if drove will just damage things, standard headgaskets like to pop most of the time, check all the vaccum piping as this will split with age,

its a sports car and so nissan prices are stupid just like 300zx's if you get any work done like headgasket you better get ready for a huge bill in a worse cases situation as you oftend find more things wrong

if its got ones of those green hks mushroom filters bin it and get a better one as the foam breaks up and damages the maf sensor which is expensive as you could guess

try get a uk spec one and not imports as uk ones are 9 out of 10 times in better condition inside and out

also these are unreliable when standard and modding them just makes it go from bad to worse imo,

Since when the hell did the 54C cylinder head have hydraulic tappets...

Never in my entire life, have I heard of or seen that!

Headgaskets going pop most of the time...I have several friends that have GTiR's and run upwards of 1 BAR boost daily, and do not burst headgaskets.

SR20 engine unreliable...are you ####ting me...I have given nothing but pure abuse to my engine since day one, and yet it burns very little if not no oil, has no leaks and is reved in excess of 8000 rpm daily...

I don't know where you got your info. from, but it is highly inaccurate!

Dave

P.S. I know my SR series engines, so if you have any questions, ask away!

ive seen standard ones blow the headgaskets and a nissan trained mechanic that i know well thats been working on nissans before the k10s came out argees that they blow even when driven normally,

and this is a micra forum and not pulsar forum so why not go to them forums and get more replys and more information from people that own them and pay the stupidly high bills for repairing them when they go wrong

I go through a gearbox every 5 months on the ST, the pulsar is no where near as bad, Allen and I were running 400+bhp on a standard box, then we went to an os clutch and quaife box with nearly 500bhp and that lasted 500 miles - go figure.. I have tuned at least 20 pulsars now, all of them in excess of 300bhp after they have been played with, only one had a quaife, and none of the others as yet had. Of course they WILL go eventually all gearboxes will - but what do you expect if you side step launch them..

btw i dont think the impretza is much better for reliability (the series 1 anyway) if you wanted a quick nissan why not get a skyline for the same insurance and money. not even a gtr something like a gts-t will be quick and fun.

59 bhp is more than enough said:
btw i dont think the impretza is much better for reliability (the series 1 anyway) if you wanted a quick nissan why not get a skyline for the same insurance and money. not even a gtr something like a gts-t will be quick and fun.

yep the best jap motor ever made,FULL STOP .if you have the money and can learn to drive one properly

pulsar boxes are rated to 400 brake

i think peolpe missed the vital stats

220 bhp, 1220kg, 0-60 in 5.5ish, 1/4 in 14ish

RB (or lesser known dakar) had close ratio box, manual windows and lighter kerb weight of sub 1200kg.

Ed said:
I go through a gearbox every 5 months on the ST, the pulsar is no where near as bad, Allen and I were running 400+bhp on a standard box, then we went to an os clutch and quaife box with nearly 500bhp and that lasted 500 miles - go figure.. I have tuned at least 20 pulsars now, all of them in excess of 300bhp after they have been played with, only one had a quaife, and none of the others as yet had. Of course they WILL go eventually all gearboxes will - but what do you expect if you side step launch them..

2 questions from this, both OT.

What box do you use then Ed and also what is a side step launch?
ta

Craig said:
2 questions from this, both OT.

What box do you use then Ed and also what is a side step launch?
ta

side step launch i belive is when you slip your foot off the clutch so it springs back as fast as possible,,usually the revs will be at its most effective point for launching the car you are in.......maybe wrong but thats what i thought it was

side step is where you slip your foot off the side of the clutch - basically a full bore dumped clutch launch

takes a hardcore box to take that :/

kristian said:
A Ferrari Enzo can only do 3 Full bore takeoffs- then it needs a new clutch....

what a joke

if you own one you can afford to pay for the clutch :D

Thats right, side stepping puts truly unreal strain on EVERYTHING.... Craig for the moment there is no real solution to the box problem. Apparently a company is making a cast for a stronger gearbox, there are other gearsets from qaife and par, but i dont know anything about them.

A GTR is nowhere like the same money. Buy price, insurance and running costs are all MUCH higher.

You could get a GTS-T but other than an R32 they will cost much more and all will be slower. See below for a scan of an original Autocar test - I've not seen figures like that for stock GTS versions, especially R32s.

As to fun well that's always the 4WD vs RWD question. I would have said that an MR2 Trubo would be a better comparison...

ACM1707913.jpg

thats why i said "not even a gtr" mate, the gtst is the same insurance group and as quick as near as makes no difference. can pick one up for the same amount of money and i can imagine that the fuel consumption will be much different.

thats why i said "not even a gtr" mate, the gtst is the same insurance group and as quick as near as makes no difference. can pick one up for the same amount of money and i can imagine that the fuel consumption will be much different.

Really I haven't seen any of the GTS's with the same performance as the GTIR. As I mentioned the R32 had either the 2.0 turbo or the 2.5 N/A. Neither would be anything like as quick as a GTIR. An R33 could be had for GTIR money but I can't see a 1500kg car being anywhere as quick as 1200kg car with about the same power output. Perhaps you have some figures for the GTS-T (I assume you mean the R33 GTS-T with the RB25DET, best I've seen for them is around 6.2 to 60 and a 14s quarter).

I'm not trying to pick a fight but it's not really like for like as far as I'm concerned. I think that GTS's are nice enough and I'd bet that they would be quicker on motorways/dual carraigeways (if my brother's 300ZX is anything to go by). I think that the GTS has lower insurance (I've not checked the R33 but the R32 was cheaper). I also agree on economy, GTIRs are very poor in this respect, barn door aerodynamics, 4WD and a big turbo/low compression engine don't help.

BUT the GTIR would be much quicker on A-roads and backroads. Lots of the parts are very cheap (shares lots of components with the standard Sunny). The engine can very easily be tuned for more power. I'd imagine that the upper limit of the RB25 is higher (it has more cylinders and more capacity) but for bang for your buck...

On the Nissan front a S14a 200SX would be my preference over the GTS-T. But we all have our own opinions.

Cris said:
Really I haven't seen any of the GTS's with the same performance as the GTIR. As I mentioned the R32 had either the 2.0 turbo or the 2.5 N/A. Neither would be anything like as quick as a GTIR. An R33 could be had for GTIR money but I can't see a 1500kg car being anywhere as quick as 1200kg car with about the same power output. Perhaps you have some figures for the GTS-T (I assume you mean the R33 GTS-T with the RB25DET, best I've seen for them is around 6.2 to 60 and a 14s quarter).

I'm not trying to pick a fight but it's not really like for like as far as I'm concerned. I think that GTS's are nice enough and I'd bet that they would be quicker on motorways/dual carraigeways (if my brother's 300ZX is anything to go by). I think that the GTS has lower insurance (I've not checked the R33 but the R32 was cheaper). I also agree on economy, GTIRs are very poor in this respect, barn door aerodynamics, 4WD and a big turbo/low compression engine don't help.

BUT the GTIR would be much quicker on A-roads and backroads. Lots of the parts are very cheap (shares lots of components with the standard Sunny). The engine can very easily be tuned for more power. I'd imagine that the upper limit of the RB25 is higher (it has more cylinders and more capacity) but for bang for your buck...

On the Nissan front a S14a 200SX would be my preference over the GTS-T. But we all have our own opinions.

but you dont get as much respect wen you say you drive a pulsar/sunny as you do when you say skyline..on and off the road :D for me that worth the extra cash

GTST's are not fast. I have a friend with one, its a stock RB25 and other than top speed my ST is quite significantly quicker than it in pretty much every way.

That review is pretty cool, interesting how it picks up on the gear change - that really lets the car down it really is floppy and horrid. I never knew just how bad it was until I drove one for a few hundred miles.

Cris said:

yeah i meant the r33 gtst like i said. i thought the gti-r was about 5.4 - 60 so it aint that much difference, yeah i know on the quarter mile/ track it would be but real world driving i cant seeing it make much difference. also i know the gtst is heavier but the transmission loss of the gtir would be worse than the skyline wouldnt it, so wouldnt it just be swings and roundabouts. i know you can lots of cheap parts for the sunny but i cant seeing it being any better than the skyline and also bang for your buck i dont think there is much in it. also i thought the handling on a standard gti-r was quite bad, ive spoke to a guy with one and he spent a load of money tryin to get it to handle right. saying that thought i cant see the skyline being better or worse. personally i wouldnt have either. id much prefer the s14 like you with the sr20det, same engine as the gti-r but rwd.

GTi-R I drove was poor handleing much worse than say ST, but i think the springs have been cut - so that explains it really. It definately does have MASSIVE of potential. The skyling is just far to large, the pulsar felt agile but needed work, and a nice interiour. They also are ok on fuel IF you really do drive them gently.

Pulsars r overall good cars.. they r weak on the g/box (depends on how u drive them really)
but which Early Nissan Isn't?
i've been through a few myself.

i think the best 4x4 all rounder car to go for is the

MAZDA 323 GTR 4x4 1.8T Familia
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAZDA-323-TUR...615690770QQcategoryZ18211QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
standard turbo able to cope over 300BHP

my mate has one, running on std exhaust(2 cats) system, with only a filter and running about 1 BAR boost.. he got a whopping 13.2sec 1/4 mile

sorry to hijack your thread mate..

find a good well looked after one if u can

Umar

yeah i meant the r33 gtst like i said. i thought the gti-r was about 5.4 - 60 so it aint that much difference, yeah i know on the quarter mile/ track it would be but real world driving i cant seeing it make much difference. also i know the gtst is heavier but the transmission loss of the gtir would be worse than the skyline wouldnt it, so wouldnt it just be swings and roundabouts. i know you can lots of cheap parts for the sunny but i cant seeing it being any better than the skyline and also bang for your buck i dont think there is much in it. also i thought the handling on a standard gti-r was quite bad, ive spoke to a guy with one and he spent a load of money tryin to get it to handle right. saying that thought i cant see the skyline being better or worse. personally i wouldnt have either. id much prefer the s14 like you with the sr20det, same engine as the gti-r but rwd.

Trust me GTIRs are much under valued. Mine (stock boost, cat back and filter) was as fast (probably faster from standing) as my brother's 300ZX TT (exhaust, filters and ECU - running octance booster and Optimax). His was quicker over 90 and from then on. It was much quicker round roundabouts and back roads - his was quicker on the blast down to Le Mans so...... horses for courses really.

NB The SR20 in the 200SX isn't the same as the GTIR one. The GTIR has the highest spec SR20DET made and second only to the SR20VET (perhaps) in overall terms.

I like S14s (esp the S14a) too but I like the 4WD thing.

Super S 1.5T said:
Pulsars r overall good cars.. they r weak on the g/box (depends on how u drive them really)
but which Early Nissan Isn't?
i've been through a few myself.

i think the best 4x4 all rounder car to go for is the

MAZDA 323 GTR 4x4 1.8T Familia
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAZDA-323-TUR...615690770QQcategoryZ18211QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
standard turbo able to cope over 300BHP

my mate has one, running on std exhaust(2 cats) system, with only a filter and running about 1 BAR boost.. he got a whopping 13.2sec 1/4 mile

sorry to hijack your thread mate..

find a good well looked after one if u can

Umar

Very good thought. A very underrated car. Insurance is very cheap too (group 14 I think). Not too many parts about though.

Ed said:
GTST's are not fast. I have a friend with one, its a stock RB25 and other than top speed my ST is quite significantly quicker than it in pretty much every way.

That review is pretty cool, interesting how it picks up on the gear change - that really lets the car down it really is floppy and horrid. I never knew just how bad it was until I drove one for a few hundred miles.

You need the short shift kit then!

It would take more than just a short shifter to sort out how sloppy I thought it was to be honest! :)

Ed said:
It would take more than just a short shifter to sort out how sloppy I thought it was to be honest! :)

Really? Must have been chuffed then. They are generally a bit notchy and can be hard to change (usually because people like to dragp them and munch the gears). I've you've ever driven a Sunny GTI (or Almera I'd guess) it feels very similar.

I drove a SR20DET almera yesterday (one I was mapping) it had a nice gearchange. I do accept actually that the GTIR had worn linkage that i drove, but the 1,3,5 gears are just too close by design and I can see why people break them most probably by changing to the wrong ones!

Ed said:
I drove a SR20DET almera yesterday (one I was mapping) it had a nice gearchange. I do accept actually that the GTIR had worn linkage that i drove, but the 1,3,5 gears are just too close by design and I can see why people break them most probably by changing to the wrong ones!

They aren't the best boxes that's for sure. Funny thing is people have been known to break Quaife boxes too (and the Aussies ones too I'll bet). Mind those are (usually) cars running big power.

An Alerma with an SR20DET sounds like fun. I used to love my Sunny GTI and a newer version of that would go down a treat, never mind with a turbo.

Pity they never made an Almera GTIR, with an SR20VET............:grinning:

Heard really good thing about them, 2.0turbo 4wd, cant be bad, although the looks are looking dated and most of em have been screwed more times than a prostitute in the red light district, but if ya find a good one, will wipe a few smiles of a few faces as they wont expect it.

when people do put the sr20det in almeras and such they probably use the primera gt box and the internals arent designed to take the sr20det torque and bhp, so no wonder why they break all the time

Cris said:
The GTIR has the highest spec SR20DET made and second only to the SR20VET (perhaps) in overall terms.

What about the S15 Silvia engine mate?

Fordy said:
when people do put the sr20det in almeras and such they probably use the primera gt box and the internals arent designed to take the sr20det torque and bhp, so no wonder why they break all the time

Eh, what about the Almera GTi gearbox...or does that not count...and the only thing that usually dies in the SR20 FWD gearboxes is 3rd gear.

You are talking to a guy who has the following...

SR20DET in a FWD car...
Almera GTi gearbox

Dave

NISMO_ALMERA said:
What about the S15 Silvia engine mate?

Dave

I'd have the RNN14 SR20 over the S15 one anyday. The RNN14 has better induction, stronger block, stronger crank, stronger rods, bigger valves...

The S15 has VVT and a more modern turbo.

OK the RWD gearbox is better but that's nothing to do with the engine really.

I realise that, but I thought your were meaning base output from the factory...246ish vs 220ish!

Also, the crank is no stronger...only difference is the drillings for the flywheel...

I know my SR20s and can't stress that enough!

Cheers

Dave

not gonna plug the thread but i know where theres a VERY good pulsar for sale, bog standard bar a filter. up until a few weeks ago it even had the standard jap battery :D

Back