Pulsar brake upgrade - how much changes?

CMF_Red Menace

» CMF Member
I'm looking to do the 1.6 N13/N14/N15 Pulsar brake swap on my K11 (not sure which pulsar to take them from - the N13 definitely fits but is hard to obtain, whereas the N14/N15 are possibly too large to get under factory wheels but are readily available, but that's another problem). I can get refurbished calipers locally on an exchange basis. Trouble is, the exchange units don't include the casting that mounts solidly to the hub, only the caliper itself (the floating part containing the pads and piston).

The guy at the local parts place tells me that the aforementioned casting has a different part number on the Micra vs the Pulsar, which would tend to suggest that they are geometrically different, but he couldn't confirm it with bits without ordering them.

Just wondered whether anyone had tried/managed to swap only the calipers (plus discs and pads of course), or whether standard practice is to change the lot - floating calipers plus castings?

[edit, for clarity] I can get the caliper - the component to which the brake pipe attaches, and which carries the both brake pads and the piston. These being single-pot calipers, the whole caliper is free to move. There is another part which is hard-mounted to the hub by two 17mm bolts. It is this part I cannot get from my local motor factor's.

smidge

» CMF Member
so you mean they won't actually give you the part with the piston in it?

i got my calipers for the equivalent of about 10pounds, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a complete set surely?

Back