problems starting car...

hi all,

my k10 1l is very slow to start.you can hear starter motor, and it seems to grind on second or third attempt to start. it does start after a while though,so far.

any ideas?maybe battery a bit low? car is used on nearly all short trips.

thanks all.

no.,the grind seems to come when key is turned fully when starting...
actually have not driven car myself lately,the wife word is what i'm going on.will drive it on saturday and see for myself.

Somethings not right with the Starter motor, that Grinding noise is the Cog on the Starter not engaging on the Flywheel properly.

Could be some dirt on the Shaft of the Starter motor.

This is what happens when it's not checked out.....ouch!

http://www.foreignaffairs.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Dingwheel.jpg

Maybe that picture dipicts a worse case scenario, well it's the worst one i've seen..

So your Flywheel may get like that and the only way to fix that sort of problem is to either have the Flywheel welded and the Teeth ground down or another flywheel off another Engine.

Take your starter off and give it a good clean up :)

Also, before you start the Car push the Clutch in and see if it starts easier, i've been told that by doing this takes the load off the Engine when turning over.

thanks for advice,sprained my ankle so will have to leave it a few days,got wife to take it for a 40 min drive, and she hasnt had much trouble since,but i will starter a good clean,no harm.

Back