Problems starting 94 model K11

S

Suze

A few weeks ago I had problems starting my car, to get it started you needed to turn the key in ignition very slow and start with around 2000 revs. A couple of times the engine cut out whilst driving [but not stalled].

Last week, found car wouldn't start at all except by jump starting it [not yet tried jump leads]. The starter motor turns over but very slowly. Having bump started it I left it running and drove it round for 20 mins to try to give it a chance to charge but after stopping it, and trying to restart, again had same issues.

I don't think it's an issue with the alternator as no lights on the dash. Have checked all battery connections etc and still no luck. When you start the car, it has electrical power but as soon as you turn it that extra bit to start the engine all lights go off. I've done the Haynes manual checks [eg turn lights on and see if they dim after a few seconds as may suggest battery issues] but not found anything there.

Have found on here people having issues with the solenoid but before I take out starter motor and solenoid and try and clean everything up, does anyone have any advice or ideas please?

could be a dead battery not holding charge anymore, try a new battery and let us know if its fixed it or not

I'm just trying to get away from buying a new battery if possible....would rather find out what problem is first! ;)

mate a flat battery can make you think all sorts.. my motorbike had the same thing and i didnt believe my dad that it was the battery, after hours of failing to sort it and days of charging the thing i got a battery... been great ever since! when it comes to batteries just get a new one and dont fart about with the old one!

I don't have anybody's to test, unfortunately - only have the one roadcar [other is a single seater!] and all friends don't live in my area.

Incidentally, I think you may be missing the point courier - there is obviously some power there to turn the starter motor over, the normal battery checks don't show up any issues, and believe alternator to still be charging. If I knew a battery was flat, I would buy a new battery, but I'm not buying one "just in case!"

Just trying to keep costs down ;) May see if can find a starter in local scrapyard, if not looks about £75 - sound about right?

Its not the starter. Your avoiding the real problem here, and making assumptions on something you _have not_ tested.

Its really quite simple, get a multimeter. Start the car, and measure the voltage at the battery and coming out of the alternator, both should read about the same and both should read around 13.8-14.2 with the engine held around 2000 rpm. If it doesnt, you need a new alternator. If it does you need a new battery.

Do this first or your simply wasting your time.

Ed

Any explanation why, suddenly, it would just start last night and this morning....?!

Would that explain after two weeks of non-starting it would start again?

In short, whilst short-term problems are fixed, I don't want a long-term recurrence. I'll check the battery with the multimeter and see what comes up...

Back