Starting problems

CMF_rooster

» CMF Member
Hi there, I've got intermittent problems trying to start my micra. It's the most recent design (mk3?). When the key turns to position 2 all the warning lights come on/go out etc. but when the key is moved to 3 to start the car, the starter doesn't turn. Any ideas? Ignition switch maybe? If it's left for a while it starts fine,

cheers.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Battery?

Test the battery when its under load. It may be lacking cranking power.

Alternatively, your starter motor could require rebuilding.

Have you noticed it getting slower to start over the last few weeks? If so, quite possible the brushes on the starter may be gone.

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
Strange it doesnt try at all.

Perhaps you could have a faulty starter motor relay?

Can you hear the starter motor whiring? Perhaps the solenoid is not shooting it out to the flywheel properly?

How long do you have to leave it before trying again? Have you tried instantly?

CMF_rooster

» CMF Member
After a couple of minutes it will go fine. I was thinking it was the ignition switch rather than the ignition relay, as when the key is moved all the way to 3 to start the car, the radio etc. which would normally turn off as the starter cranks the engine, stays on. Definately not the starter, as when it turns the engine fires up no probs, and its tone hasn't changed at all recently (when it works lol). cheers for the replies!

CMF_micractiv

» CMF Member
Hi, I have the same problem with my micra, a 2001 1.4.

I turn the key to start the car, but it does nothing, almost as if the battery is flat.

i just hear what sound like some clicks from behind the facia to the right of the steering wheel.

I suspect a relay, as when i turn the key again almost immediately, and hold it in the start position, the car will start, and the starter motor sounds like it has plenty of life in it.

does anyone know the exact location of the ignition switch relay, and has anyone ever had to replace one? if so, was it a costly fix?

Back