Preventative maintenance

Just thought I'd share my two peneth worth of info with you guys/gals.
Rust is never far away for us Micra owners, so anything to slow or halt it is helpful in my book.
As winter is coming with salt on the roads make sure you clean out this area to stop the wing and sill rotting.
20131017_153006_zps583fad34.jpg

Mine was full up of mud (twelve years worth with grass growing out). Not good.
Anyway just undo the two screws up the arch and the one on the sill underneath and flush with water.
Takes ten mins, so worth it I think.

I did think most of you guys would know of this area. As I'm a relatively new Micra owner I'm still discovering them. Quite a poor design area this.

I did think most of you guys would know of this area. As I'm a relatively new Micra owner I'm still discovering them. Quite a poor design area this.
i,ve not seen any that rotted there tbh, its mainly the front x member, rear of the sills area, and axle :)

What led me to it was that my other wing was rotted through there but it hadn't transfered to the sill fortunately. I replaced that offside wing a couple of months ago.

Skymera's micra is lowest ground so far here. I think he took these shields out cos he using wide banded steels. It will be easy to dip in between these arches without shields. Otherwise it will rub with these shields which will be burnt rub.

I knew these rust issues a time ago. I agree with frank about rust rotten areas. This pic looks like cut so did you cut it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Nothing is different from factory ie cut. All I did was hold the plastic shield back to take the photo after I washed out the area.

Oh ok. I tho it was cut.

I got a good idea so I got quite high steep drive away. I need to sort my super s's sills so I will park up with reserve way. I will put and pour some sealant on both sides from rear trim covers. I can spread around with brush and also these left overs will come out from front sills. (behind mud splashes) I need to put two flat buckets on both sides so it will catch these leftover sealants. It might be worth to try it out. I will do it when I put my super s on the road. It will be happen on my blog. :)

Btw you should put underbody sealant in every year u know.

one part hard shard 3 part water :)

have a look inside the doors minimum rust proofing,plenty water flow through there then out drainage points that dont get block'd and no rust. air flow in their dry's out moisture ,,, have i got it wrong ?

another poor design and prob the cause of the rusting sills is the front sunroof drain pipes which goes down the a-pillars and straight into the closed box-section of the sills.

there are just afew TINY drain slots along the bottom but they quickly block up with dirt n stuff.

so all that water has nowhere to go and collect near the back and if it fills up during heavy rain it could overflow through the round access holes and into the cabins floor. in the long run, all that water also corrodes the sills inside out causing the common rust holes.

so I rerouted my drain pipe straight down through the sill

56310926.jpg
1020k.jpg

another poor design and prob the cause of the rusting sills is the front sunroof drain pipes which goes down the a-pillars and straight into the closed box-section of the sills.

there are just afew TINY drain slots along the bottom but they quickly block up with dirt n stuff.

so all that water has nowhere to go and collect near the back and if it fills up during heavy rain it could overflow through the round access holes and into the cabins floor. in the long run, all that water also corrodes the sills inside out causing the common rust holes.

Are these drain pipes from sunroof or not? I just tidy up with my another micra so every time i see, these water are building up on these rear sills. I have seen these clear pipes from near foot pedals and also with these long wires. (from foot pedals to driver side seatbelt.)

I have done on these rear sunroof drain pipes so far. I need to modify with front sunroof drain pipes soon. Do you know where these clear pipes from? (from foot pedals to driver side seatbelt.)

Cheers
jk

Are these drain pipes from sunroof or not? I just tidy up with my another micra so every time i see, these water are building up on these rear sills. I have seen these clear pipes from near foot pedals and also with these long wires. (from foot pedals to driver side seatbelt.)

I have done on these rear sunroof drain pipes so far. I need to modify with front sunroof drain pipes soon. Do you know where these clear pipes from? (from foot pedals to driver side seatbelt.)

Cheers
jk

the black rubber pipes on the left and right pillars are from the sunroof. the thin white plastic tubes on the drivers side of preface micras are from the a-pillar radio antennae

the black rubber pipes on the left and right pillars are from the sunroof. the thin white plastic tubes on the drivers side of preface micras are from the a-pillar radio antennae

Ah ok thanks. I don't know where this water is coming from? Do you think the water is coming from a pillar radio. I will have a look now.

My another micra is on high steep driveway. It sits like tilt. Everyday, normally I check with these rear sills. I am not happy cos water is still coming to these rear sills so I need to solve this mystery water problem.

I will upload pictures around from my another micra. I will be back soon.

Thanks
Jk

Ah ok thanks. I don't know where this water is coming from? Do you think the water is coming from a pillar radio. I will have a look now.

My another micra is on high steep driveway. It sits like tilt. Everyday, normally I check with these rear sills. I am not happy cos water is still coming to these rear sills so I need to solve this mystery water problem.

I will upload pictures around from my another micra. I will be back soon.

Thanks
Jk

yes any water that's slowly seeped past the aerial hole or sunroof seal(which is just a sponge) will drain down those pipes into the sills and down the back sills.
reroute the pipes straight down past the sills or out the side between the chassis/wing and/or drill some small drain holes along the sills

yes any water that's slowly seeped past the aerial hole or sunroof seal(which is just a sponge) will drain down those pipes into the sills and down the back sills.
reroute the pipes straight down past the sills or out the side between the chassis/wing and/or drill some small drain holes along the sills

Ok thanks so I will find out tomorrow.

Pictures are here:
Sometimes, I do get a small water in the boot. Today, I wiped this water out. I think that bootlid handle is broken so I will find out tomorrow. Does anyone got a spare bootlid handle?
ugajenup.jpg

Driver side sill: I need to find out where is this water coming from. Water come there often so it quite annoy to me. :(
u4ypyhut.jpg

ruvuqa5u.jpg

Passenger side sill: it's very good so there is no water but there is a few rust out there.
7y5evy4a.jpg
y5ede8un.jpg

Clear pipes: i didn't have a time to do modify it today so I am at my work ATM. I will find out tomorrow.

There are two pipes on this a pillar.
rymyjevy.jpg

I think that I have Ariel pipe and screen wash pipe too. It looks like two pipes go into different ways. I will strip this carpet so I can investigate these pipes. I am going to borrow my cousin power drill so is that ok if I can use metal drill bits?
amuda2ez.jpg

a2emusub.jpg

I tried to pull this clear pipe so it's quite stiff to me. I don't want to be strong to break everything. All I need is to take this carpet so I can have look on these.

de8a5a9e.jpg

Do you know where this pipe go to?

I check two long lines on the roof. From front to middle, it's solid tight. From both back are loose and wobble as ups and downs if I play with my fingers. Is it normal? I got same as my GX.

y7asezun.jpg
e8ana5ym.jpg
zy7aha5a.jpg
2u5yby7a.jpg
ejameva3.jpg

Hello everyone,

Couple of questions on preventing the rust from spreading if not stopping completely.:

1. What is the best option for under sills and all susceptible areas (Waxoil, combination of waxoil and used egine oil, chips-ton)
2. What is the best option for inside the sill?
3. Can used engine oil be used on its own?
4. How to apply them?
5. Is it possible to used brush?

Regards

I use Hammerite underbody seal. Its a brush on greasy black paint that never fully hardens. It won't come off on a sponge if you catch it while washing your sills but you could scrape it with your nails. I've painted the underneath of the sills and the lip but left the sides as they're grey. Every time I'm under the car I just keep adding to more areas.

I use Hammerite underbody seal. Its a brush on greasy black paint that never fully hardens. It won't come off on a sponge if you catch it while washing your sills but you could scrape it with your nails. I've painted the underneath of the sills and the lip but left the sides as they're grey. Every time I'm under the car I just keep adding to more areas.

Thanks Agent_sm1th,

Is there any difference between the under seal and schutz?

Regards

56310926.jpg

Cool, So I'm gonna attempt this one, brilliant idea -2 questions,
It's still going to be legal and pass MOT if it has a hole in sill for sunroof pipe to drain through?(no expert on MOT's)
secondly, its not going to weaken Sill as there's the jacking point nearish isn't there? Cheers

Cool, So I'm gonna attempt this one, brilliant idea -2 questions,
It's still going to be legal and pass MOT if it has a hole in sill for sunroof pipe to drain through?(no expert on MOT's)
secondly, its not going to weaken Sill as there's the jacking point nearish isn't there? Cheers

not a problem at all with either points

Back