• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

A Black 1.4 from North Italy

Hi Guys and Gals!

This is my 2001 1.4 K11 that I bought some months ago as a daily drive:

foto2-2_zpsbfaa8a02.jpg

IMG_2073_zpsc4911e37.jpg

Is in very nice conditions overall.. it needs just a full interior cleaning and a hood repainting because the paintwork is all cracked.

First of all I took off the wheel trims, so now I just have black steelies (that I'm planning to powdercoat white maybe and use with the winter tyres).

Then I did an oil and filter change (Shell Helix HX7 10W40), coolant change and I installed a new air filter and new sparkplugs as well.
And finally two days ago new front discs and pads.

The only thing remained to do now is a complete brake fluid change.. hope to do it as soon as possible!

This will end the routine maintenance phase.. so the upgrade phase can finally start!!

The first upgrades that I planned are 4 lowering springs and the adjustable Panhard Rod that I already bought.
I also already bought a Super S rear spoiler.

But last week I had the opportunity to buy a really nice upgrade (or downgrade.. it depends on the point of view ;) ).

I don't like too much the first facelift look, but I can tolerate it.
Is the second facelift my problem.. I really hate it!! But I bought one! :D

So as I need to replace a front light, my first idea was to buy both first facelift lights, the first facelift bumper.. and eliminate those horrible chrome trims on the front grill.

But then came a real deal.

I met a guy that has a 1995 K11 that wanted to scrap.. so I went to his house and took all is needed to convert my ugly 2001 in a pre-facelift K11.
In detail:

- hood
- front lights
- front bumper
- wings
- grill
- hood latch
- rear lights
- rear bumper

IMG_39212_zps91f9956f.jpg

IMG_39202_zps2eef09e1.jpg

IMG_39222_zps891e7b84.jpg

but the most amazing thing is that i paid 70€ for all the parts!

Now I have to find the time to paint all the stuff and bolt it on...

nice :), and you could probably sell the fogs from the facelift front and maake some money back, the housings alone sell for around £40 eeach on ebay

Yesterday I completely changed the brake fluid, so for the time being I think I've finally finished the routine maintenance!

And here we go!
Finally the lowering springs from Vogtland:

IMG_4460_zpsc92e7e92.jpg

IMG_4464_zpsdc087393.jpg

and the adjustable Panhard Rod in place:

IMG_4472_zpsb495efb1.jpg

Here is the final effect... not bad at all I think!

IMG_4476_zpsa9f8c403.jpg

Now it sits on Bridgestone Blizzak winter tyres in the classic 165/60 R14... but I think the general look will improve a lot with summer tyres in 185/55 R14 on 6x14 rims and a more nice offset

go on old crow show us how it go,,,,,,,,,grade a listed spray job :)

the good crow always go,,,,,,,car,,car,,car,caar with a big apple in the mouth

So, the summer season is coming.. and is time for summer tyres
I bought 4 Toyo Proxes CF1 185/55 R14.

But now the rims!

I bought from eBay 4 Volkswagen steelies 6x14 ET38 that have some trapezoidal holes instead of the usual rounded ones.
Here's one along a stock:

IMG_4340_zps0a6d8c8f.jpg

I then rebored them because they were 57,1 mm instead of the required 59,1.
After that I had them powdercoated in white:

IMG_6306_zps92cb3c0b.jpg

Once they were home again I did some masking

IMG_6569_zps3fd9de8e.jpg

and then sprayed some red and a clearcoat to obtain this:

IMG_7111_zpsc36fce7e.jpg

And finally on my K11!

IMG_7114_zpsddc7bb5c.jpg

IMG_7120_zps907e2ce8.jpg

IMG_7116_zpsb5c34870.jpg

As you can see they have a much much nicer offset than the stocks!
I'm thinking anyway to go further and install extended studs in order to fit some spacers

Unfortunately I have not much time to spend working on my Micra.. and the downgrade to the first version is still far to be completed.

But anyway.. I really hope to finish the sprayjob soon in order to bolt everything on.

But now some serious stuff.. I did her ass! :D

I finally bolted on all the bits and pieces from the first version.
Everything is pretty much straightforward, you just need to do some re-wiring inside the tail lights.. but I think you already know it.

Here they are:

ALE_6328_zps2142bc91.jpg

At the end.. from this thing:

IMG_2075_zpsc7109988.jpg

...to this:

ALE_6342_zpsa9877c94.jpg

one more...

IMG_2073_zpsc4911e37.jpg

IMG_7631_zps97cf28d8.jpg

It's a complete different car!!
I really can't wait to bolt on the front end. In theory everything is painted and ready.. so finger crossed. ;)

Last edited:
So.. here we are! After 2 days of disassembling and assembling again, some swearing, now finally I see a proper K11!

ALE_6377_zpse727b99f.jpg

I must say that everything was pretty much straightforward.
I had to do some rewiring in the headlights for turn indicators and parking lights.
I also lost the electric aiming adjustment. The aiming motor is present even in my old headlights, but the system should be completely different because they need 6 wires while the new ones only 4.
I had no time to sort it out... I can live without it!

As here in Italy is nearly impossible to find a Super S bumper, I cut 2 big holes and fitted the standard one with a couple of foglights from Ring.. and put a Nissan sticker on them. :cool:

Here's a picture before primer:
IMG_6309_zps62fee6f7.jpg

I fit both the headlights and foglights with super white bulbs and they look superb:
ALE_6383_zpsa943c4ba.jpg

I really really like the final result! Now is a pleasure to turn my head back and look at her while walking away.. :D
The only thing is that is very odd to see a completely different car with the same licence plate! Very funny indeed!

Now I think I did more or less the 70% of my planned mods, but anyway there are still a lot of minor changes and details to finish the project.

Some B&W shots:

ALE_6376_BN_zps7407f26f.jpg

ALE_6383_BN_zpse673c97e.jpg

And a couple made with the iPhone:

foto2_zps28e84c09.jpg

foto3_zps96c10425.jpg

Anyway... what is really freaking me out is that somebody has even been paid to do this:

GotPaid_zps104d3406.jpg

(I like the first facelift.. but the last one for me is horrible. You can't try to make a round car square!)

Now 2 bonus pic:

ConfrontoDemarcato_zps515e0518.jpg

ALE_6364_zps86ff9020.jpg

Hope you like it as much as I do!!

Last edited:
Ok.. the end.

This one:

CrashStill800_zps2fa56ba2.png

Happened last Sunday during a track day.

I usually go on track with my S2000 but she is sitting in my garage on jackstands since October 2013 'cause I'm doing some work on her but I really have no time to finish as I'm currently working abroad.

I was really missing the track and as there was a track day in a relatively short and slow circuit I took the chance to do it with the Micra and see how it would have worked between kerbs.

Ok not so well considering the outcome!! :)

But now the story.
It was the beginning of my 3rd lap.. main straight.. then there's the track hardest braking for a right corner.
At around 135 km/h I hit the brake pedal and nearly immediately the car pulled hard to the left.

I was still on a straight line and my wheels were straight when I hit the brakes.. not mentioning that the asphalt was perfectly smooth.
And anyway.. In the past I did the same hard braking at least another 30 times with my S2000 (at around 180 km/h), not a big deal.

If you brake hard in a straight line with your wheels straight.. your car must go straight, period.

Doing some web research I found this on Cisco's Micra website:

LEAKING REAR WHEEL CYLINDERS
"Was a common fault on drum brake models built 1995. Car pulling to one side under braking"

But then I discovered that this problem is common to all K11 with drums, not only related to 1995 cars.

A later inspection revealed that both my rear pistons were leaking, one just a little, but on the other the situation was bad.

This is the only explanation I can give to what happened. If you guys have other suggestions you're more than welcome.

Now what happened after the crash.
Both radiators (water and A/C) were badly squeezed together and were touching the exhaust manifold.
With the help of a guy from the track staff we pulled all the front end with the hydraulic arm of the recovery truck, so the radiators were no more touching the header.
They were still squeezed together, but no leaks from the water one.
I disconnected the battery for about 20 mins to reset anything that maybe could need a reset.. meanwhile I checked the front suspensions that seemed ok.

Battery reconnected, ignition key turned... and the 1.4 litre Nissan engine came smoothly alive!

I grabbed all the pieces I found from the front end and sticked them to the car with about 40 zip locks (never attend a car event without them :D).

So.. the Mighty Micra, badly injured, took me back home around 200km away from the circuit!
And it drove very well, the only bad thing was a sort of loud grinding noise coming maybe from the gearbox in 1st and 2nd when accelerating from still.

Here's a picture on the way home... looks like Terminator!

Front800_zps4c18de46.jpg

Even better:

Micranator800_zpsdc243a85.png

...."I'll be back!" :D

Well... maybe not this time.

Good point! I thought about it only later on.
The main problem was that the car caught me completely unprepared because it abruptly reacted in a way it shouldn't have done.

Anyway, my car won't be back 'cause I'm scrapping it... but probably I will.

Maybe a Super S is on the way to my place ;)

Back