Possibly stupid spark plug question

pork

Club Member
Am I being stupid, but is there a 'special' socket I need to change spark plugs?
Iv got 21mm socket, deep one, but can't get to plug unless intake the head bolt out.
Then once I put spark plug in, I can't get head bolt back in coz the top off the plug is in the way, even when I unscrew the little cap on it too :(

Am I jus being unbelievably stupid??

Can I trim the top of the spark plug?

Help me out someone, pending no hangover tomorrow, it will be started for first time since me messing with it

yea you need a spark plug socket which has this rubber holder inside that grabs the top of the electrode when removing. otherwise with a normal socket when you loosened the plug you either can't get it out or it just drops straight down the plug hole n potentially ding the thread or electrode end

But can't get my socket passed the head bolt. So I took that out, done plug up, but now can't get head bolt on

your on about the right hand plug (no 4) iirc, or maybe left (no 1) but i found this problem too, the 21mm deep socket i had was 'thicker built' than a plug socket so wouldnt go in without forcing it, i filed a bit off the bolt with a half round file, however a proper plug sockes should go in.

your on about the right hand plug (no 4) iirc, or maybe left (no 1) but i found this problem too, the 21mm deep socket i had was 'thicker built' than a plug socket so wouldnt go in without forcing it, i filed a bit off the bolt with a half round file, however a proper plug sockes should go in.

That's exactly the problem I have

Phew, thought I was being simple!

Back