possible engine swap.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I would agree. The MR18DE is a very strong performer and feels great to drive in the Tiida, IMO of course. It pulls like a little champion all the way from idle to the redline. Much nicer than the GA16DE and QG16/18DE.

Only trouble are the electronics. Fly by wire would be a problem. Good thing though is that there should be some base maps floating around soon for the motors.

The MR18DE also comes in the US Market Nissan Versa.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
The MR is a lot smaller than the SR.
Bore is 2mm less saving 8mm in length.
Block is die cast enabling thinner sections to be used.
Serpentine belt used for accessories.

Weight is less too, SR20 = ~120kg, QR20 = ~110kg, MR20 = ~101kg

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Max power at 5100rpm?

Booring.

1.8L would probably be more spirited to drive than the 2.0L. And thats what counts.

Its why I have a strange preference for the 1.6L MX5 to the 1.8L. Sure the 1.8 is quicker. but the 1.6 revs better. Much more fun.. But thats because I'm a boy racer.. Or I'm a wanker. :p But out of what I've driven the 1.6's are always more fun.

cheers

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
The very first MX5 was a pearler. Had the poms kept making sportscars in the old tradition then I reckon the MX5 would have been what would have evolved. The japs really got it right with that one.

Lost some direction with heavy things like electric windows, aircon etc. Still a good car though imho.

Does anyone else get bugged by that mazda ad. where the hikers are on a curvey road and one hiker puts his ear to the ground and (amongst other things) says "sportscar".... geez that pisses me off.
Too many "young heads" in the designer game now. They wrongly use "sportscar" in the same wrong way the footballers get called "hero's" give me a break.
Sure it might perform well, but just about any new car with up to date technology will do that. I think Mazda is insulting their own MX5 and first RX7's by useing the "sportscar" term to describe a,, well I don't know exactly what it's supposed to be.

Once was a time when car makers actually made specific "sportcars" which looked nothing at all like the family car and commercial vehicles. Maybe some crossover stuff like switches and lights, or a much modified design of a basic core motor, but totally different body and chassis from anything else they sold.. THEY were sportscars and had performance and handling far in excess of the family line of vehicles from the same companies.

You cannot call say a Holden SS or it's ford equivelent a sportscar when (had you the money and inclination) you could start with a base model and just fit all the other gear to make it look and perform the same as the others.
you cannot take any other Mazda to make it look like an MX5 and that's the way it was with all the "real" sportscars" of another era.

Mychael

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
MR18DE
93kW @ 5200rpm
174Nm @ 4800rpm

MR20DE
101kW @ 5200rpm
200Nm @ 4400rpm

Failing to appreciate how the MR18 would be a more spirited drive...
Max power is at the same rpm & it's 7% less.

Until somebody measures up the MR & compares with the K11 engine bay, who knows what might hit. All I can say is it should be easier to fit than the SR. If the Tiida 6spd is used, the gear change would need to be changed to cable select.

CMF_RTHL55

» CMF Member
l Dont undstand why bother with those motors me and my mate are putting a sr20 jap spec motor good for 123kw and over 200torque in our k11 micra. should be an easy fit aswell and wont cost too much.

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
rthl55. you said easy fit?????? your on drugs.. theres a lot of work involved fitting an sr20 in. then theres the engineers report that your gonna have to pass. also considering the extra weight in the front of the car, change spring rates and heights, its no easy task thats why there looking at other engine possibilities. then theres trying to service the thing once the motor os in, i would deffinately relocate the oil filter, its tight enough in the micra as it is. i just hope you and your mates know how to do it and how to go about it.

CMF_ed.

» CMF Member
RTHL55 WROTE:

"l Dont undstand why bother with those motors me and my mate are putting a sr20 jap spec motor good for 123kw and over 200torque in our k11 micra. should be an easy fit aswell and wont cost too much.

Keep us posted on how you go :)

CMF_RTHL55

» CMF Member
Havent bought it yet or nothing but thinking about the sr20de jap spec motor its about 123kw at the fly but not sure what motor will put in yet because either way the micra we own pulls really hard and red lines at 8400rpm so it aint to bad.

Back