PistonHeads.com: Scrappage Sends Classics To The Heap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissan Micras have so far proved the most popular car to be scrapped at Hyundai dealerships since the scheme was introduced on Monday, with over 200 making way for a new car.
Ouch! :(

That's really bad, and all these people buying hyundai's too? what's the world coming to

Hyundai's are very good cars, and a far more solid to its Nissan counterparts. Scrapping a car less reliable car to purchase one that is more reliable, to me, makes all the sense in the world.

What are you doing with a Nissan if you prefer Hyundais then? fwn
If Micra's aren't reliable, then I believe I'm Mother Theresa...

Shame about all these decent cars going to waste, like X1/9'S, MGs, MX5's and a Jag XJS! Just for Hyundais? I'd rather have all of those than one Hyundai.
My car is eligible for the scrappage scheme, but I sure as hell ain't scrapping mine for some bland, new, heap of plastic!

good god... this is what i mean. an mx-5 is worth more than £2k are they nuts?

an x-1/9 is worth at least £2.5 and as for an austin 1100.... they are worth their weight in gold!!!

is everyone loosing their marbles?

I think its probably people just jumping on the band wagon, something they can brag to there mates about "yes we've done it, doing our bit for the environment" or some crap like that. They don't actually realise the government make more money from the VAT on a new car than they're paying towards the scheme, and surely cars with cats aren't all that bad on emissions anyway

What are you doing with a Nissan if you prefer Hyundais then? fwn
If Micra's aren't reliable, then I believe I'm Mother Theresa...

Shame about all these decent cars going to waste, like X1/9'S, MGs, MX5's and a Jag XJS! Just for Hyundais? I'd rather have all of those than one Hyundai.
My car is eligible for the scrappage scheme, but I sure as hell ain't scrapping mine for some bland, new, heap of plastic!

I prefer all makes of cars, albeit Asian. I don't prefer Hyundai directly, I prefer reliability. My username is Hyundai because people have a bitter opinion about them; with barely any reason to do so. We all say we hate french cars, but the Renault 5 Turbo, 306 GTi's and such are excellent machines.

I prefer all makes of cars, albeit Asian. I don't prefer Hyundai directly, I prefer reliability. My username is Hyundai because people have a bitter opinion about them; with barely any reason to do so. We all say we hate french cars, but the Renault 5 Turbo, 306 GTi's and such are excellent machines.

TBH the only Hyundais i have worked on were my dads and my friends. both were shockingly poor in build quality and failed on very stupid things, my friend's hyundai had so many things wrong with it that i was amazed he was still alive! things like the disk brakes were buckled!

but there is one bonus, we will have loads of spare micra parts in the scrappy, Super S parts will be easy to pick up..... but oh well they don't give you 2k to scrap a car in sweden :p

I don't really have an opinion about Hyundai's, I've never owned one so can't comment; but Micras are reliable too, so I don't understand the 'preferring reliability' argument? Both Micras I've owned have been fantastic - the only things that ever went wrong was the throttle body on the LX, which was my fault, and the electrics, but the engines themselves are sound.
5 Turbos and 306 GTi's are very decent cars, I agree, however I'd never presonally own a French car no matter how good they are, I just don't like Saxos, Clios, or 5's, they're not my taste of cars, and the many stories of unreliability deter me somewhat.
We all have our own opinions, yes, I just think it's a bit of a daft idea coming on a Nissan Micra forum then saying you prefer Hyundais as they're more solid. Which car do you think the majority of people on here prefer? :p

I don't really have an opinion about Hyundai's, I've never owned one so can't comment; but Micras are reliable too, so I don't understand the 'preferring reliability' argument? Both Micras I've owned have been fantastic - the only things that ever went wrong was the throttle body on the LX, which was my fault, and the electrics, but the engines themselves are sound.
5 Turbos and 306 GTi's are very decent cars, I agree, however I'd never presonally own a French car no matter how good they are, I just don't like Saxos, Clios, or 5's, they're not my taste of cars, and the many stories of unreliability deter me somewhat.
We all have our own opinions, yes, I just think it's a bit of a daft idea coming on a Nissan Micra forum then saying you prefer Hyundais as they're more solid. Which car do you think the majority of people on here prefer? :p

You're not connecting the dots here; I said I don't prefer Hyundai directly, I prefer reliability. When I say one car is more reliable than the other, I am not stating that the one that is less reliable than the latter is not reliable. You can have one with the other. Your lack of taste in french cars can be understood, but a good car is a good car.

I've hardly just "came on a Nissan Micra" forum just to say I "prefer Hyundai". I own a Micra, I've owned many other Nissan's, I've owned a few Hyundai. Which my experience, Hyundai are very good cars. Back to your point with which car I "supposedly" prefer, then perhaps you should tell the same thing to all those who had forgot their Micra's and bought other cars, such as Fords and Toyotas. I don't think I'm being the daft one here. :suspect:

I dislike the out with the old, in with the new idea just to jump start the floundering motor industries economy with a vengeance, but it makes sense...The manufacturers gotta sell cars to make money, if they don't, people who work for them are out of a job!
On the positive side, apparently the car to be sent to the scrappage gates of heaven has to be m.o.t'd (and taxed/insured presumably) for two years previous to the date of scrappage to qualify as being regarded as a discountable vehicle in the scheme...which means the likes of my SR which is on a s.o.r.n. is safe, as will many other older motors hiding in garages...just waiting to be adopted as project cars (Y) unfortunately the more reliable cars that make it into their elderly years with vosa approval,(micra's and other Japamotors) will ironically be the ones that get sent to the crusher first :down:

I've hardly just "came on a Nissan Micra" forum just to say I "prefer Hyundai". I own a Micra, I've owned many other Nissan's, I've owned a few Hyundai. Which my experience, Hyundai are very good cars. Back to your point with which car I "supposedly" prefer, then perhaps you should tell the same thing to all those who had forgot their Micra's and bought other cars, such as Fords and Toyotas. I don't think I'm being the daft one here. :suspect:

I don't appreciate being called daft in the slightest when it was a simple misunderstanding.
Could you not see by the ':p' emoticon that I am merely teasing you. I know people have different opinons, I was merely just jesting but you've taken it too much to heart and have leapt on the defensive.
To be honest, I cannot be bothered to discuss this with you. I have been on this forum 2 years and can't be bothered to waste my time arguing with a newbie like you.

In all honesty....

You'd have to have serious mental problems to ditch an MX-5 for a Hyundai.

All a matter of opinion, although, using a brand in contrast with a specific car is a bit silly. Comparing the MX-5 to let's say.. the Hyundai Coupe for example, seems a bit more fair to me, rather than the whole Hyundai range. I would have an MX-5 Mark 1 + 2 over the pre-2002 coupes, however, I'd rather have a 2002+ coupe over any age MX-5.

I don't appreciate being called daft in the slightest when it was a simple misunderstanding.
Could you not see by the ':p' emoticon that I am merely teasing you. I know people have different opinons, I was merely just jesting but you've taken it too much to heart and have leapt on the defensive.
To be honest, I cannot be bothered to discuss this with you. I have been on this forum 2 years and can't be bothered to waste my time arguing with a newbie like you.

It seems more of an assumption rather than a misunderstanding (majority of all your points in your post). I'm barely in the "defensive" unlike yourself; if you make a post regarding what I've said, then I will return the courtesy. My assumption is that you've clearly ran out of things to say or things to assume you refer scroll old fashioned name calling. Your "jesting" and "teasing" is something VERY hard to see between the lines of your words; after all, this is the internet, I cannot see your face.

I'd rather have the MX5 over any of the coupes. RWD > FWD. Matter of taste with a large dose of sensibility.

Right, as this thread is winding up quite nicely, lets get everyone pent up;

I am planning to scrap my micra under this scheme.

It's got a lot to do with the price of classics going down hill. My CX was worth about £3k last year, a few examples went for about £5k (one went for £6k) but the market seems to have stagnated. My CX Prestige is one of the more sought after series one prestige models with all the toys etc. but noone is willing to dip into their pocket and pay £2k for her.

As it is I'll just keep her on the road until things pick up/someone writes her off/she threatens to die properly/or someone swaps me a 2cv for her.

I was really hoping this wouldn't happen :(

Mind you, the XJS was probably a rustbucket and not going to pass the next MOT, you hardly see any on the roads these days for that reason. There's one in my street I'm sure won't pass next time.

Right, as this thread is winding up quite nicely, lets get everyone pent up;

I am planning to scrap my micra under this scheme.

not gonna get me fighting you :)

though personally i cant think of any new car that id want to buy, even if i didnt have a car and was looking...crushing a perfectly good car just cos you get some money off, isnt exactly enviromentally friendly (just an observation in general)...though tbh i wouldnt be suprised if all the "old" cars are exported to other countries and sold on again.

or if they are indeed crushed I wonder how many scrappies will stuggle when the price of scrap plummets.

as far as I understand the cars are decommissioned.

Oh and I'd give my right leg for a C30 1.6D DRIVe

Wow, that baiting failed :D

Basically, the micra is suffering from seriously terminal corrosion. Both sills+crossmember gone. Mice got in when it was sorned this year, and chewed the interior. Bad times.

Now, I'm going on a rather well paid University (year long) placement. This coupled with the fact I will be living at home means I will have more disposable income next year than I will for several years after uni. The combination of scrappage and the economic situation of the country means I *should* be able to get a good deal (car dependent). The new car will be a long term daily driver. Savings made at uni and before uni + part finance if possible will pay.

Car wise, either Mazda 2, Fiat grande punto, alfa mito or, possibly (in an oh-my-god-its-camp way) fiat 500.

why would anyone do that? Hyundais are the most ######## cars ever built! without exception, i have not seen, heard, or worked on a hyundai that wasn't pure turd, i would rather see the metal used to make a Hyundai melted down and used to make a bomb to kill nuns than be driven around, and to trade that in for a micra which will get you from A to B effectively and cheaply and more reliably than most cars on the road today is just retarded.

Wow, that baiting failed :D

Basically, the micra is suffering from seriously terminal corrosion. Both sills+crossmember gone. Mice got in when it was sorned this year, and chewed the interior. Bad times.

Now, I'm going on a rather well paid University (year long) placement. This coupled with the fact I will be living at home means I will have more disposable income next year than I will for several years after uni. The combination of scrappage and the economic situation of the country means I *should* be able to get a good deal (car dependent). The new car will be a long term daily driver. Savings made at uni and before uni + part finance if possible will pay.

Car wise, either Mazda 2, Fiat grande punto, alfa mito or, possibly (in an oh-my-god-its-camp way) fiat 500.

problem is mate you will have to get your shed through an MOT for it to be valid, could end up costing close to £2k just to fix all the rust

Still MOT'd from last year (by about a month!) Sills bodge welded by MOT test place, advised cross member was borderline. Car is held on SORN, which is allowed under scheme.

Still MOT'd from last year (by about a month!) Sills bodge welded by MOT test place, advised cross member was borderline. Car is held on SORN, which is allowed under scheme.

i thought it had to be road legal when it went in? that means it has to be MOT worthy and not just MOT'd?

not trying to #### on your fire or anything, i think it is good that any micras killed by rust get scrapped so that the parts can be recycled,

Off the fiat website;
Your old vehicle MUST:

* Be a car or LCV weighing up to 3.5 tonnes
* Have been first registered in the UK on or before 31 August 1999
* Be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in your name
* Have been registered to you continuously for the past 12 calendar months
* Have a UK address on the registration certificate (V5C) in the same name as the new vehicle
* Have a current MOT test certificate
* The old vehicle must not be an insurance write-off or subject to any financing arrangemen

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...le/AdviceOnBuyingAndSellingAVehicle/DG_177693

I'm getting my micra scrapped under this scheme too!

But my mum is scraping it to get herself a new Audi TT, and then I'm using the 2K to get another micra. *smirks*

also to be honest all those cars they listed are probably barely road worthy. I bet none of them would of passed an MOT anyway.

why would anyone do that? Hyundais are the most ######## cars ever built! without exception, i have not seen, heard, or worked on a hyundai that wasn't pure turd, i would rather see the metal used to make a Hyundai melted down and used to make a bomb to kill nuns than be driven around, and to trade that in for a micra which will get you from A to B effectively and cheaply and more reliably than most cars on the road today is just retarded.

problem is mate you will have to get your shed through an MOT for it to be valid, could end up costing close to £2k just to fix all the rust

Firstly, no one wants to see nuns killed by a Hyundai Bomb. Secondly.. I seriously don't understand your hatred for Hyundai. :wow:

They aren't as bad as you think they are, you're just being a bit bias.

Hyundai_i30_Sport.jpg

Vs..

car%20pixs%20009.jpg

You need to remember, majority of people are scrapping their old cars for new cars.

Shouldn't you post a picture of a 10 year old Hyundai in comparision?

As the micra is just 2k off the car so, unless you want to post £2000 worth of the parts then you should be comparing to an old one.

or that picture and £15k cash next to it.

Negative. People usually finance their cars. To have a car regardless of age, a Micra for example, to give them £2000 off the original price of a new car, people are more than pleased to do this. People need to cut Hyundai some slack, they're really upping their game this past decade. In the 70's, people used to laugh at the idea of Japanese cars in the west, but when Nissan released their sports cars in our market, everyone loved them. It would be good to realize that new cars can be as good as the old ones, even Hyundai's.

Personally I have no problem with Hyundai's. Infact I qute like the look of that car you posted, hense why I went to check the price of it. To me looks like a competitor for the Honda civic, and it's cheaper.

The one thing that bugs me about this whole trade you car in thing is.. If you have the money to be able to affored to finance or pay the extra 5k minimum for a car. Then why are you driving around in a 10 year old car?

I think so many of these must be people with second cars or people trading in their son/daughters car.

But hell it is basically a tax refund, and who would argue with that?

Firstly, no one wants to see nuns killed by a Hyundai Bomb. Secondly.. I seriously don't understand your hatred for Hyundai. :wow:

Hyundai_i30_Sport.jpg

Vs..

car%20pixs%20009.jpg

You need to remember, majority of people are scrapping their old cars for new cars.

I have nothing against Hyundai's, but I find your pictures just a little bit biased. Rather like the following comparison:

Pony_Presto.jpg

This lovely Hyundai Pony

vs

nissan-gt-r.jpg

A GTR

Bias how? - The thread is about people scrapping old cars (Micra in particular) to aid financing a new Hyundai. Your contrast between those 2 cars are ridiculous compared to mine; I showed a standard Micra against a high model mid-sized hatch (Which people are more likely to buy). Not an old 80's car to a 2008 480+ BHP muscle car (I consider it and skylines to be some what muscle cars).

Bias how? - The thread is about people scrapping old cars (Micra in particular) to aid financing a new Hyundai.

Well no, the thread is more about the great cars potentially being lost to the scrappage scheme, and you're trying to say, "it's ok, people are scrapping them to buy new Hyundais", and trying to show through pictures how much nicer a new Hyundai is than an old Micra that might have been scrapped for it.

Meanwhile, since this is a forum for people who like Nissans, I thought it was more appropriate for me to suggest the opposite: that it would be great if someone scrapped an old Hyundai to get a shiny new Nissan.

Don't you think that's more appropriate for the MSC?

As someone's already posted, it's alright getting nostalgic about all these cassics being scrapped, but if they're worth less than 2k it's likely their fairly knackered (because owners, no matter what people might like to think, are not going to scrap something worth more than that.)

Also, chipedwood, for me anyway, it's basically a fortuitous change in circumstances.

At least no one's told me how "stupid" I am for going for this. :D

Meanwhile, since this is a forum for people who like Nissans, I thought it was more appropriate for me to suggest the opposite: that it would be great if someone scrapped an old Hyundai to get a shiny new Nissan.

Absolutely. Old hyundai's will be scrapped in this scheme as well, for any new car not just a new hyundai. It's likely Micra's are the most popular car to be scrapped because they're probably the most popular small car out there on the market at present. Old hyundai's are probably in the scrap yards already

I think anyone doing this scheme is a bit of an idiot though really! you can buy a nearly new, say 5000 miles on the clock, car for about 8 grand cheaper than it left the forecourt originally. Using the scheme, you save up to£2000, and then the car loses all it's value when you've driven it out the showroom! Surely you'd want someone else to suffer that loss of money than yourself? and being only 5000 miles old, it's still both cheaper and warrentied milage!

i would agree with you about me being bias if it wasn't for all the personal experiance i have had with working with hyundais, i have worked on old and new ones and not one of them was well built,

also you are comparing them using pictures... i don't car how my micra looks, people hate the look of a k11 but i love it, its a matter of taste, but it doesn't change the fact that the micra is very reliable and affordable and fuel efficent, and hyundais are sheds.

Well no, the thread is more about the great cars potentially being lost to the scrappage scheme, and you're trying to say, "it's ok, people are scrapping them to buy new Hyundais", and trying to show through pictures how much nicer a new Hyundai is than an old Micra that might have been scrapped for it.

I am showing a typical car that is being traded for a typical car that is most likely being bought. You are right, this forum is for Nissans, but this thread is about Hyundai.

i would agree with you about me being bias if it wasn't for all the personal experiance i have had with working with hyundais, i have worked on old and new ones and not one of them was well built,

also you are comparing them using pictures... i don't car how my micra looks, people hate the look of a k11 but i love it, its a matter of taste, but it doesn't change the fact that the micra is very reliable and affordable and fuel efficent, and hyundais are sheds.

Perhaps the i10's, i20's and i30's can be the next 10-15 year old reliable, affordable and fuel efficient cars. Not only Micra's are capable of ticking these requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back