Piper 270 Cams

Hi all,

I have a Nissan Micra 1.3 Road Rally car, and have a set of Piper 270 cams. I am wondering what I would need exactly to fit them? As i've heared they will need shims etc? If so, where would I go about buying them etc.

Many thanks,

Hi all,

I have a Nissan Micra 1.3 Road Rally car, and have a set of Piper 270 cams. I am wondering what I would need exactly to fit them? As i've heared they will need shims etc? If so, where would I go about buying them etc.

Many thanks,

Hi Mike,

Piper shave off material from the base circle of the cam so thicker shims are needed. You have a few options:

• Buy Nissan OE shims if they are available in a big enough size that you need. Around £7 a shim (if you through up a list of what you need on here myself or someone might have a few in the size you need!)
  • Ask a local machinist to make you up a set (can be costly as many wont run a batch as small as 16 shims for a low cost)
  • Place machined / ground down shims underneath the follower buckets to give the required valve clearance (Franks your man in this respect :))

Hope this helps

i took the option of grinding some (70" thou iirc) off some spare shims, and fitted them under the buckets.
i think paul (skinner) had some oversize shims made :)

Hi both,

Thank you very much for your information. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to mechanical sides of it, and i'm happy to do whats best - not really too worried about the cost - just don't want anything that is going to fail.

Would I be able to find what size shims I would need on the Piper Website? Or if theres anyone on here who would know? Or even, Frank, if you could make a set up for a price etc?

The plan is to fit these, 1.6 injectors and a new fuel pump at the same time during the summer, ready for its first road rally.

The shim size you will need all depends on what's already in the car to be honest Mike they are all slightly different from factory.

So if you fit the piper cams with what's already in at the moment you can then measure your valve clearance & see how much the gap is & how much thicker you need the shim to be.

you would need to measure the clearances on your engine with the cams fitted really mike, pollyp (paul) has some detailed info in his blog on shim setting :)

Back