Piper Cams

A

Alex24

i was browsing around the piper cams website and does anyone know if the piper extreme road cams for the micra are worth getting? and does anyone know were you can get them? and what kind of increase in bhp can you get?

cheers

Fast Road = +8bhp

Ultimate Road = +12bhp

Would reckon, check the dealer list on the piper cam website, to find your nearest shop.....and get them to order them.

remember tho the ultimate road cams will shift your power band higher into the rev range. probably past the engines redline.

also idle will horrible. go with the fast road cams bit less power but you'll get all the benifits :)

maybe worth looking into tomei cams as thier fast road cams are +12bhp iirc

:)

Ah good point forgot to mention, the rev range...

Fast Road = 1500 - 6800 rpm.

Ultimate Road = 2500 - 7500 rpm.

But yeah like zoidberg said, check out the tomei's before making a decision.

cheers guys, is there any other mods i can do to get more bhp? i.ve got a janspeed manifold and cat back system, induction kit and a power boost valve. i'm thinking of getting it chipped soon aswell. i'm more into performance than getting the car looking good.

Well, if you are racing your enigne, on gear changes from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th - you will always be above 3000rpm on gear changes so i think the ultimate cams are worth it.. sure you will get a bad idle, but so what?

Fast Road = 1500 - 6800 rpm. (youll gain all of it here)

Ultimate Road = 2500 - 7500 rpm. (you'll miss out 1000rpm of revs worth - but i cant see that being a BIG DRAWBACK...?

i'm going to look into it but i think it will prob be the ultimate road. with the engine reving that high to 7500 is there a chance it will go "pop" or can i get it tuned so it wont?

Alex24 said:
i'm going to look into it but i think it will prob be the ultimate road. with the engine reving that high to 7500 is there a chance it will go "pop" or can i get it tuned so it wont?

The enigine won't take that power no. It will just blow

Titch, how would a supposed "+12bhp" increase blow your engine, i think you will find that you mean revving to 7.5k will make you engine go pop...?

You might think a 2.0lr gearbox on a 1.3block is a good idea, but plz do alittle research before informing people wrongly..

And out of interest, the sub £200 figure it displays on the site, does anyone know if that for the two cams, or just the one? - i can see it being about £300 fitting...+camchain changed...

Titch said:
Alex24 said:

The enigine won't take that power no. It will just blow

If i had seen this earlier i would have put a longer responce. Basically, as Solarice said they do two types of cams fast and ultimate road. The problem with Piper cams is that they are reprofiles of your orginal cams (unless they have changed).

Which does have its disadvantages and for the money (think they are £200 still) it better splashing another £100 on a set of proper replacement cams rather than a set of reprofiles.

A CG13de will rev to 7750rpm with no complaints as my car does this all the time, all the car needs is a good standalone ecu that is properly mapped. It is when a CG13 engine is introduced to forced induction, rods start to break and create new holes.

Mike

where did all these figures come from? 12bhp + for tomei cams?

also "Fast Road = +8bhp

Ultimate Road = +12bhp" is this what piper have specified as the increase for the micra?

"Ultimate Road = 2500 - 7500 rpm." this is not possible in a micra with standard ecu. limit is around 6900rpm for the micra.

in japan several k11 tuning companies have off the shelf ecu that will rev to 8000rpm. the engine wont just blow. but it does strain it more.

i have looked at the piper site and cant see any info on the micra cams. i have emailed them for specification out of interest.

also for the tomei cams i remember reading it somewhere, anyone is welcome to correct me if i'm wrong. (probably am as i can't remember where i read it:D)

ah got it, didnt realise you could click on the pdf micra lisitng for the spec.
so they are reprofiles then. not worth bothering with. similar price and better in the end to get tomei cams as they wont need shims for fitting as far as i'm aware.

you will almost certainly need new shims and followers at roughly a tenner each, I though Piper only did the fast road for the Micra, must be my mistake

they use to do only fast road upgrade. these are new due to a customer custom order maybe. and they kepts the specifications perhaps.

Back