PC subwoofer to car headunit (but not using sub's circuit board)

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
Have been trying to look for a quick answer,

since I've had everything stolen off my micra, decided to put it a pc large pc sub I had lying at home. but this sub I bypassed it's printed board bcos I dont have the vol controller and power supply. so basically I hooked up 2 wires directly to the sub's positive and negative pins and ran the wire outside the enclosure and tapped it into the rear right and rear left of the head unit.

Due to not having an amp between the headunit and sub since it's now missing from my car, I bridged both head units rear outputs into one to give more juice to the sub. i.e rear right + with rear left + and rear right - with rear left - and hooked the wires directly to the cable I've ran out of the enclosure.

sub is working nicely, but anytime I increase volume like 10% it starts to cut and I immediately have to turn vol down to like 5%. I noticed this morning that by fading sound to 100% front i.e. bypassing the rear channels thingy i've done to hook up the sub, I managed to pump up the volume to like 60% with no probs at all.. but again this way no sub, apprently d prob must be with d way I've hooked things up..am a bit aware of varying ohm rating and staff...but anyone more knowledgable to let me know how to fix things temporarily before saving to get a proper one. rember the sub is not using any electronics the board is dead inside of it I just plugged directly to the sub's pins.

Thanks,
Ian - Malta

A PC sub would be rated at 240V/whatever mains voltage?
No I presume it's not. since the majority of pc speaker systems run off 12V PSU. The PSU itself is powered through the mains i.e. 240V. So in a nutshell my sub was presumed to be run off a stepdown transformer which outputs 12V from 240V

The amplifier in the stereo isn't enough to power the sub above a certain threshold. It cuts to stop damage to the chip itself. You will need an amp for it.

The amplifier in the stereo isn't enough to power the sub above a certain threshold. It cuts to stop damage to the chip itself. You will need an amp for it.

$hite..am I harming the head unit then? :/ thought would compensate by bridging both rear channels into one..

That all depends on the amplifier chip inside the unit, whether it's bridgeable or not. You will damage it eventually if you keep pumping up that bass. Get a cheapy amp to run it just for now off fleabay till you can afford the one you want.

Attachments

• 1401004325199.jpg
    1401004325199.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 200
Back