Headunit ISO Adapter annoyance

Having recently bought a new Micra after not owning one for a few years, the first thing I set out to change was the headunit, nice and simple. I've done it before, I know it's easy..or so I thought.

First up, I was in Maplin where I bought a headunit from, tried to get an ISO adapter cable block. They don't sell em.

So I drove to Halfrauds, asked for one in there, they asked my what Car, so I told them it was a 2001 Nissan Micra...they looked it up in their book and said 'Sorry, we don't sell them. Try this other place in town...'

Went to this other store, a Motormania in Ipswich, same deal there, they looked it up, and said they don't sell them.

I was pretty surprised, since I never had this much trouble last time, I just picked it up in a local Halfords.

So I gave up, somewhat disappointed, came home and looked up the parts online.

I found this site that gave fairly good illustrations of the various adapters and noted which one I needed...then bought it cheaper somewhere else :wasntme:

So based on my car being a 2001 Micra, with 2 speakers, I ordered a PC2-77-4 adapter. What arrived today in the post was actually a PC2-76-4 (for 4 speakers) with a note saying "Same as" - which to be fair it might as well be.

And then when I went to fit the thing today...I find that the car's connectors don't match and what I really needed was a PC2-13-4 - ie. the standard one for a Micra made between 1983 and 1999.

How bloody annoying. My first Micra was a '99 so I ordered the right adapter back then, the only one there was, but now there's these new adapters for Micras made between 2000 and 2003 - that are not compatible with mine...which leads me to wonder...

Is my car actually a 2001 model, or a 1999 that wasn't actually registered until 2001?

What are the differences between the K11's up to 99 and the ones made between 2000 and 2003 ?

Back