pc probs help needed

M

MTB

:p Hi all, ive not long spoke to my bro there about his pc, he said its totally cut out and wont even come on or power up at all, can anyone help thx all MTB:p.

Being an IT Support Engineer, my rate is currently 50p per word :p

Just kidding ;)...

Sounds like the PSU (Power Supply Unit) may have blown, either that or your motherboard has gone bang...

PSUs cost from about £15-30 to replace (depending on the power rating) and motherboards range from £30-50 and up. However, if the motherboard has blown it's possible its taken other components out with it.

Try this: Turn the PSU on and open up the left hand side of the case, some motherboards have a small LED lit up somewhere when they're getting power, however, if you don't see one, this doesn't mean the PSU is dead.

My advice would be to get a new PSU first as this would be cheaper than shelling out for a motherboard.

Here's a link to a load of them: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?GroupID=9

Hope this helps,

James :)

much appreciated m8 ill let my bro know and let you know what the problem was:].

James said:
Being an IT Support Engineer, my rate is currently 50p per word :p

Just kidding ;)...

Sounds like the PSU (Power Supply Unit) may have blown, either that or your motherboard has gone bang...

PSUs cost from about £15-30 to replace (depending on the power rating) and motherboards range from £30-50 and up. However, if the motherboard has blown it's possible its taken other components out with it.

Try this: Turn the PSU on and open up the left hand side of the case, some motherboards have a small LED lit up somewhere when they're getting power, however, if you don't see one, this doesn't mean the PSU is dead.

My advice would be to get a new PSU first as this would be cheaper than shelling out for a motherboard.

Here's a link to a load of them: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?GroupID=9

Hope this helps,

James :)

having alot more years over james as an IT tech :p

alot more experiance i say. firstly james. get him to check connections ;)

u wont believe how many times his has occured. check the plug socket with another item ie lamp ;)
when you have initially sounded that it isnt an external error. then u start looking towards the system!!

:p

eesh james im dissapointed in you

...well being an IT engineer... ;)

get him to check the actual connections from the powerbutton to the CPU, in most older systems they arent plugs and just fit on as jumpers... meaning that if the case has been moved/dropped they can come off.. meaning no power when pushing the button...

kthxbye :devil:

Most obvious, would be to first check the fuse in the plug.

Some times with mine, when you shut it off it seems to keep the circuits open, noticable by the leds on your keyboard,mouse etc staying on. Unplug and wait for a bit for all the lights to go out plug back in and away you go.

Either that, or one of the previous solutions, may help solve the problem.

Yep definitly the fuse first, and test with another device like a lamp as suggested above.

You'l learn James ;)

sorry forgot to say he thinks he saw his mcfee virus protection pop up a window saying he had an irrepairable virus on his comp then it cut out:].

MTB said:
sorry forgot to say he thinks he saw his mcfee virus protection pop up a window saying he had an irrepairable virus on his comp then it cut out:].

Oh dear sounds terminal... buying a mac will sort it out :)

Back