Overrheating

And so the Micra decides to misbehave . .. AGAIN.

Drove about 10km, didn't get stuck in trafic anywhere...

Temp got up to 3/4 of the gauge, luckily it happened just as I arrived where I wanted to go. Fan was blowing like mad and water level in the expansion tank was much higher than max. Turned her off and the fan cut out as well. I could hear bubbling coming from the rad top hose. Stared her up again and the fan immediately kicks in. No leaks as far as I can see.

When I left to get back home (10:30 in the eve so a bit cooler) water level was back to normal. Drove home slowly shifting into neutral where I could and occasionally turning on the heater to get some heat out of the engine bay. Temp got to 1/2, fan didn't kick in, didn't feel overheated. Water level was good and I even opened rad cap easily.

Any Ideas what this could be??
Thanks

Thermostat stuck closed? Check coolant hoses make sure they are all getting hot

Top hose got HOT no probs and heater works fine. I've found that with the heater full on temp doesn't go as high. Which other hoses do I need to check? Sry bit of a noob

If you have recently changed the coolant i would say its going to be an airlock.

Changed the coolant a while ago c.300kms no probs what so ever so don't think its down to that. The Micra doesn't have bleed nipple right? Only expantion tank and rad top.

ah...thought you had just changed the coolant.

Could be what i said originally. Thermostat sticking.

To be honest even with the turbo ive never seen the gauge on mine get over half way.

Normally it gets up to half way then goes down a bit again and stays in that region, never went higher before. Hopefully its a simple fix. Thanks for advice Rob :)

have you checked the radiator and made sure the cooling fins aren't blocked with fly's and other debris
maybe use an airline to blow them out

Back