Overheating

wehey

Ex. Club Member
I had a bit of nightmare today.
Driving home and noticed that the temp gauge was just below red.
I immediately pulled over and stopped. The expansion bottle was nearly full and steaming but no visible water dripping from the rad or hoses.
Popped the rad cap off and there was no visible water. I topped up with about 1litre that I had in the car and drove slowly home.
Nearer home the temp began to climb quickly and a missfire developed.
I got home and the rad was low again and the expansion bottle was fuller than before. The missfire is coming from cyclinders 1.
Thermostat was changed 3/4 months ago. Both rad hoses are hot and there is no mayo in the oil or rad.
Just letting her cool down before I investigate further.
Any ideas folks ??

Ok guys I have found the problem.
It's the head gasket. Cyl No.1 has a liquid sitting on top of the piston. I stuck a thin stick down there and it tastes sweet, so defo the head gasket.
:(

crazy flavour. leaving rad cap of.full temperature rev it up . geyzer from rad cap hole.:) headgasket
Steam_Phase_eruption_of_Castle_geyser_with_double_rainbow.jpg

Yeah it does taste nice lol.
I'm just hoping it's a simple hg failure and not caused by any other underlying problem.
I was running a 1mm head skim but think I will put my old standard head back on to be safe?

Just a quick question.....
I have torn muscles in my forearm and will have to attempt the gasket change one handed lol
I have done a gasket change before but the was when thr engine was out.
Obviously because of the arm I have to take the easiest route.
Can the exhaust mani be undone from the block and levered out of the way with the cat and downpipe still connected?

Back