Open Mouth Grill

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
What do you think, i really want this done, but i cant find anyone that can do it, Richie was doing it, and then disapeared... Where are you!?...

So if anyone can help, or supply me one in AJ4, I have the cash... :D

Attachments

• open mouth.jpg
    open mouth.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 228
Angle grinder! maybe a dremmel

All you need is fibreglass, body filler and time.

Cut the bits out, plenty of fibreglass to make study surfaces, use filler to blend, plenty of sanding and then some more sanding.

ollie240585 said:
Angle grinder, some filler, a bit of time, a bit of paint, and you'll be all good!!!

I love Angle Grinders :D

lol, angle grinders is there nothing they can't do :D no wait that staplers

Anyone what can get one in AJ4, or can do one, I will pay you to do it :)

I'll check the scrappys Gold

Dude - TBH i don't care if your've build the nasa space shuttle bare handed! it's a simple mod, why don't you just do it ur self?

Sure, i'd do one at £6/hour + cost off materials + cost of getting the grille to me safe and back to you safe.

At that cost wilsonian owes me £24 and still not finished, you'll want it cheap but it's time consumming, I'm only doing Pauls cause he's a mate, I get bored doing them.

Whats wrong with having a go on a £10 grille

And please can the holstility Daz, you asked and we're giving a proper response

Because I have no experiance using fibre glass, and someone who has is much likely to do a better job, if you wanna make your car look like a bodge up feel free, i'll mod mine how I feel!

plus I haven't got much time and I know how much gaz likes playing around with sticky things :D

Daz - i didn't mean for that to come accross so strong (hence the edit) but give it a try - I picked up a 2nd hand grill off ebay for £10 inc postage (steal in my eyes as it wasn't even painted! :D )

Do you want one like above as thats using a 2nd version grille.
If so I'll make one as I have a spare one of those grilles that don't need.

A guy from my neck of the woods made his own...
It a mess, but at least he tried!
He got a GT-R badge "legitimately" from an R-34 and fashioned a wee space in the grill for it. Then he stuck in on some BBQ mesh before fitting it onto his dremilled/fiberglass monstrosity...
Nice idea... shame he's a bit of a newbie! :)

I'll not mention any names...

-JamieGti

Sounds like my first grille, I just redid it again and again till I got a clue about what I was doing, now I'm doing one whilst taking breaks from other projects

Pictures?

goldstar0011 said:
Sounds like my first grille, I just redid it again and again till I got a clue about what I was doing, now I'm doing one whilst taking breaks from other projects

Any pictures?
I'd like to see one although I think I'm leaving mines standard...
We'll see what happens! :)

Give darren a break, you may be experienced in using fibre glass but not everybody will be! Some people prefer to pay for things to be done by other people, as they know they'l get a decent job done, also, some people dont have the time to do things themselves.

goldstar0011 said:
lol you should see the one that me and Detox tried to do hahaha
we got covered in fiberglass infact there was more on us than on the grill :) and we were both so high of the fumes that we lost concentration and started using the hardener to stick rubber gloves together :D

Stuck my fingers together other day, got a little worried.

Well I've offered Daz a grille now so it's down to him to offer price etc to cover postage and material.

Haha! I used fiberglass to repair my Dimma bumper for my 205 and had a similar experience! lol
I'm glad to see I've found somewhere to share my experiences!
If you've never used fiberglass before... don't try it on something that costs alot of money! It's just like they say "Don't try this at home"!
Arnold, once again you're correct, you guys should leave off him a bit and try and help him out a little.
Darren: If you fancy giving it a go... I'll try and get you some links to helpful sites if you like? Or maybe someone here would be nice enough to post something helpful like step to step info. about going about it yourself.

-JamieGti?

Going off topic here chaps.

Darren - if you really want one take gary up on his offer. However if you have a bit of time and some spare cash have a play your self :)

Detox took some pics of the grill we did, i'll have to ask him to post them ;)

Seriously though... back on topic:

I'm sure you could loan a dremil from someone... everyone's got one kicking about, gathering dust in the garage. Finding any old car grill isn't hard work or expensive either never mind a micra one. The only thing is;

Resin kits don't come that cheap: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fibreglass-Re...ryZ15271QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

However, that'll probably do you a couple of shots at it. I've done something like this recently, only it was a starlet GT-T that we had dremled to DEATH to fit a custom made Intercooler. You'd think it was a proffesional job though and it's only my 3rd go at it!

I'd imagine a grill isn't as difficult as this, give it some thought though! It might save you a few pennies! (and maybe even a chance to sport your very own 1 off grill) :D

-JamieGti

If you have the grill there Gary, i'll offer , but first i need to know what your going to do, just fibre glass or the full works with paint and mesh?

k11stew said:
ive got one of these i made for the gf's car lying in the spare room somewhere...

obv not using it now like...

anyone wanna make a bid!?

Dude, I blantly want one??! How much, i'll pay :)

darren have you noticed it's different from the one above? this one doesn't have the bridge across the top - looks better IMHO go for it - u'll be even more of a fool not too!

Hey Darren, good luck with getting the grille done, if u don't manage one i'll have a go for u, i like DIY!!! :D

think that it is realy worth a try.....just for the fun!

and if you do not try on this then you will whant to use it on somthing els!

me and Nex had so much fun!!!

D4R73N said:
If you have the grill there Gary, i'll offer , but first i need to know what your going to do, just fibre glass or the full works with paint and mesh?

Fibreglass, smoothed and primered.

Make an offer pricewise over PM but please bare in mind a grille costs about £15-£20 then the materials and the good 8+ hours it'll take, this is why people recommend doing yourself but up to you, I don't mind doing for a proper price.

I do like yours stew, making one of those when I can

wilsonian said:
I still do that with super glue - end up with a marine stuck to my fingers for half hour while i soak it in hot water! LOL

whatever trips your trigger mate...lol

i have just started mine today....i used a hacksaw...and sand paper.......

and thats it so far.....it looks quite good as it is....but that fibreglass kit is realy expensive.....god...why not try halfords...large fibreglassing kit, inlcuding brushes resin fibreglass matting hardner etc etc...£14.99

its soo simple..an i havent ever used fibreglass...so i may have used wire mesh and body filler......trust me, you cant make a hash of it as long as you have a sander...lol
:wasntme:

Back