open mouth grill DIY?

hi, cant seem to find a open mouth grill anywhere at all. so as i am brand spanking new to the micra scene is it possible to cut the middle from the pic below and as a result make a open mouth grill (ovbiosly smooth over cut bits and all that) thanks
fus8rm.jpg

thats what i did for mines
and it looks like it could do with being repainted allready :L
also dont go it with just body filler it cracks really badley :p
fiberglass it :)

Cut out the bits in the middle, and don't be afraid to take more off then you should. On the back of the grill, remake the shape of the edge of the grill with fibreglass, but don't be afraid of it being wonky etc. Aslong as it's below the line of the plastic cross section, then it'll be fine.

Then, using filler, fill it in and smooth it off. If you're like me, then you'll find the top edge to be the hardest.

ok thanks, now for the next questions, sorry lol. will the sr grill look the same once the little black plastic things are took out and would it be a whole lot easier going to a bodyshop. cheers

no its not the same type of grilles, later prefacelifts had a different one, most open mouths are made from the early prefacelift grilles.

ye i just had mine off and thought it looked a little different. looks like its a trip to the scrappy. lucky its under a mile away then :D . cheers for all the help fellas

ye i just had mine off and thought it looked a little different. looks like its a trip to the scrappy. lucky its under a mile away then :D . cheers for all the help fellas

yours will be the later one being an SR, you need to get one from a pre 96

newcastle/gateshead mate. sorry didnt se your post lol

well my bro lives in newcastle and he is down this weekend, i am away, but i could get him to take it back to newcastle with him if you wanted it.......PM me an offer if you do, it is currently white and meshed but the mesh can be taped over when you respray it.

I will say now, that the pre 96 grill is much easier to work with, especially along the top edge, but I think if you can pull it off, the 96-98 grill looks better.

I'd say give it a go. What's the worst that can happen? You waste £20 on a grill, filler and some fibreglass and some paint?
I'm sure if you ask around though, someone on here will supply/make you one.

thanks for all the help, im now buying richies of him. but i am going to atempt making one with my sr grill and if succesfull sell it on to try make a bit of money

ahh cheers that would help loads, i understand all the cutting out bits, but im worried about being left with gaping holes and failing to sort them and make it look good.
But yeah any pics, or if not as much detail as possible would be good thanks :)

The grille was my first mod too :)

I didn't do a full open mouth I just removed the bar thing on both sides and meshed behind. I think it makes it look a bit like eyes.

But this isn't that hard to do. take your time and a dremel is a great help if you have one!

Are you going to mesh behind it or not? If you are I found a hot glue gun was the best way to stick the mesh down.

To save big lumps of messy glass & filler you can use a solderer to fix new bits of donor plastic to bridge the gaps on the grill.
Slowly merge the 2 molten plastics together,like you're welding.Same teqnique to mend plastic bumpers/mouldings so the repair/modification stands less chance of cracking.
Carefully & VERY SPARINGLY) first fill repair with layer of premixed fibreglass (Isopon P40 is best quality)or chemical metal.Do not get the glass/CM where you do not need it,it sets like stone!
Do the final finishing with normal filler which is much easier to work with.You can wipe messy bits of glass/cm & filler away with thinners on a rag when it still soft,much easier than sanding it when it's hard.
Don't forget to use progressively higher grades of finishing paper as you go through the job.If you damage the surrounding areas of any repair with course paper the job will get bigger & bigger.Keep it as local as possible...
When/if you're happy with your repairs you can primer."U Pol filler primer" is the best aerosol you'll find & will hide a million sins if you put enough coats on (slowly) & flat properly.Put can in a bucket of hot water before you apply as it's very thick.Big ££ from Halfords,half price from trade automotive paint suppliers..
Then colour & fit.
You won't become a rich man making them but the front of your car will look sick

Back