One Man Brake Bleeder

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
My brake pedal is spongy after changing the front brake pads and discs.

I've done my brake bleed. But the pedal is still spongy. There may still be air in the system. Could not attach bleeder tube securely.

Just need some help with choosing a one man brake bleeder.

I am not a garage so I am not keen to buy an expensive brake bleeder.

I've seen the Mityvac. If it works, thats fine.
And some Sealey units VS020/VS0201.

Q1: Is there a budget unit you know works well for a one man brake bleed operation
Q2: Why do some people recommend you crimp the brake hose so that the brake fluid or air does not go into the master cylinder.

My brake hose is very stiff. Cannot be crimped. Is it really necessary to crimp the hose?
I dont understand where damage will occur if I dont crimp the brake hose - if I just push back the caliper cylinder with a G Clamp?

Any pointers will be appreciated

Danny

CMF_Tinky

» CMF Member
Dan I have a simple bleeder that consists of about a foot of clear hose with an end that is rubber with a small ss ball inside (one way valve). The other end is a tight fit over the bleed nut. You slowly pump pedal with end in an old tin / bottle untill no air bubbles seen. Keep topping res. as fluid drops top up.As for hoses maybe use vice grips with plastic inside jaws so not to damage rubber.And I use a G clamp too to push back piston with a bit of wood on the piston to stop damaging it.Super S rears need to be wound in.Any bubbles in the lines with give poor brakes. Hope this helps. The bleeder was about au$10.

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
it will take a while for new discs and pads to bed in ,you should look at the disc and see what part of it has been polished up by the pads .
One thing worth looking at is too see if the new pads are sticking in the holders , I have had this and filing the pads down to a better fit helps and allows them to move easier . I would also say check the piston is moving ok , but with new pads and disc it should be ok but for good measure I would pump it out and push in a few times , normally I would put some brake fluid on it to lubricate it .
One all the parts are free moving and bedded in the peddle should feel better .

Back