OLD PEOPLE!!

What to do about old drivers

• Let them drive as normal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Make them have a reaction test

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Ban them compleatly

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Shoot them all (remember it will happen to you too)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

masterbiker

Ex. Club Member
Old people seem to think they can do anything.
A few weeks ago an old guy, must have been 70/80 drove out of a junction and clipped the back of my car, only a very little scrape on the bumper mostly paint off his car.

But get this when we stopped and I checked for damage and went to talk to the old guy he said
"Im realy sorry. I didn't see you. I can hardly press the pedals these days"
. This was on a very slightly overcast day and I had my lights on and he didn't see me and he can't press the peddals very well? What does that suggest to you? To stop driving maybe? Well I made sure he was alright and left him too it as he seemed realy shaken. He probibly thought I was going to kick the perverbial out of him. I wish I was thinking properly and told him that it was a sign to make him think if he should still be driving

I can't belive that old people get smaller insurance premiums because they are more experienced drivers. +50's yeah fine. +70's, no I don't think they should get cheaper insurance or still be garenteed the right to drive when they got their licence 50 years ago, there realy needs to be a reaction test or something. Or am I being unfair? I have been in 2 minor accidents now, one were some silly girly student drove into the back of me when I was stoped at traffic lights and the one I wrote above. I have been a passenger where an old guy (65ish) drove into the back of my mates car when we were turning right into a drive way and I have seen two other accidents both involving 70+ old men hitting a stationary car both on a perfectly sunny day. Anyways enough of my ranting.

I wonder if I live to the ripe old age of 70+ that I will have the sense to stop driving? Mind you by then we will all have personal teleporters.....

if they are capable of driving let them drive, i still want to drive when i'm that age! Both my Granfathers hung up their driving gloves 2 years ago both over the age of 80 and both with clean driving records :D

edit: the majority of car accidents are caused by under 25's.....

masterbiker said:
I can't belive that old people get smaller insurance premiums because they are more experienced drivers. +50's yeah fine. +70's, no.

I agree with most of what you say, except for this, my grandad (who is 80 and still drives) is getting more expensive insurance quotes with each year that passes and some won't even insure him.

I certainly think they should have a reactions test when they reach 70 (but maybe all drivers should as part of their driving test too, as I know a few young drivers with shocking reactions and road sense)

I think, and have been saying so for a while now, everyone should have a retest every 5 years or so. For those who have held their license this long, how well do you think you'd do?

I have seen some ridiculous near misses and bumps caused by old people, and for that matter, women (who also get cheaper insurance iirc).

I seriously doubt I've seen more accidents caused by these groups of people than any other group on the road, they are just more noticeable. I don't believe any specific group of people should get cheaper insurance based on their age or sex. If it was based on driving skill...

thats why hazard perception was brought in to test peoples reactions. ( i know this only applies to new drivers but its about jim's point) :glance:

I live practically right next to an infant and junior school and I have to say I've had more problems with the Mums in their massive 4x4's and people carriers than I do with elderly drivers. Agreed though, that over 70 there should be a retest of some kind.

Should be retested at 65 me thinks. My father-in-law is only 64 and if retested I doubt he would pass, but do not agree with the retest for all every 5 years. I passed with 2 minors and a very pleased examiner and I am trying not to let my standards slip but just the thought of having to do it again and again makes me feel ill!!!

Very touchy subject, but I think a retest is a very good idea. Maybe not compulsory, but something like pass plus with insurance discounts linked to a pass. There's me saying this, and I haven't even passed my test yet! :blush:

Mate of mine was parked up in a service station, and an old guy wanted to park in the space next to her. He got his mate to get out to watch him in, and he STILL managed to scrape the whole of her rear wing. THEN he was going to drive off without leaving any details! Luckily she was sat in the car at the time.

the majority of car accidents are caused by under 25's.....

half true^ under 25s get stressed when driviing behind an old person because they go 15-20mph in 30-40s, so under 25s over take and crash, so is to my knowledge anyway!
so the cause of stressed was old fella/women

completely agree with the re test idea

It was only this week some old person who clearly couldnt see, was driving the wrong way round a carpark, parked it at the most rediculous angle, revving it wayy over the top and not moving anywhere, just clearly shouldnt be on the road.

Theres many of them about, the thing is they think they can drive but they cant! crazy old people, and one day, they'l be going along a busy road, pass out behind the wheel, veer across and probably end up killing x number of innocent safe drivers.

you also read about stories where they put it in the wrong gear and run over people, and i think not long ago, a child was crushed when an person stuck it in first instead of reverse, drove forwards over the edge of a beach carpark onto the beach below..

Fair enough, there are safe old people out there but probably only 1 out of 100 people or less.

Isnt it new policy that your Licence runs out at 70? My licence runs out one day before i am 70, so im guessing i need to resit my test or re apply for it.

driving up to pension age should be fine. after that, they should take a medical examination each year to check they can still drivce safely and then a driving test every five years after that

heres a story of classic old people driving, this actually happened, on my works carpark when i was on my break.
a dude in a saxo which he spent 28000 pound on came threw the drive threw got his food and park up in the corner eating,(by the way i work at macdonalds) above him was a grass hill, and his car was parked at the bottom.also a wall was behind him wher on which the grass hill started, about 9ft up.just left of the grass hill is the entrance to the retail park, and old fella approaced the entrance but instead of using the brake to slow down he used the accelarator, lost control, went down the grass hill, flew off the 9ft wall and crushed the

£28000 saxo, but the insurance of the old mans said the saxo driver was to blame, wtf

i think there should be a compulsary reaction test, medical test and review every year.

my gran reversed into my car in a pub carpark once, and it should never have happened. total lack of observation.

Well its pritty much agreed on then that there should be some kind of re-test. Think it will happen? I think not. Some person (I wanted to say a sweary work there) will take the human rights angle and say you can't do that or something as stupid. Like this "prisoners should have the right to vote" malarky. I think we should have prisons like the Thai ones. But I digress.

Lets have more silly old driver storys!

They should have to do another driving test at 60, then every 5 years from then if they pass, if they are incapable of driving, give them their bus pass or a taxi allowance r something!

kev_mono72 said:
give them their bus pass or a taxi allowance r something!

OAP's get that here in stirling. Last time I got bus from my home in bannockburn into stirling (about 3-4 miles) it cost £1.05 single but an oap with their car would only have to pay 6 pence. It might have changed now as I haven't gotten bus in about 5 years, but if it only cost me 6pence to get a lift into the city I would get the bus every time.

i am always having a go about my grandfads driving and then again so is everyone in the family
he presses the brake to hard sometimes and the seat belts dig in, his excuse is that u got to be heavy footed in tanks, but i pisse don his bonfure when i said nah you dont, i have driven tanks you see :)

Theres an old wifey thats got a garage up the garage site where me and ma m8s work on cars and everytime she appears round the corner its a desprate scramble to get out her way,she drives a k11 micra and always seems to be bouncing off the rev limiter.ive actually seen her clutch smokin as she tried to reverse into her garage after 3 or 4 attempts.she used to have a mini but she drove it thru the back of her garage, old people definetly need some sorta retest or reaction thing because they just too old and senile

she drives a k11 micra and always seems to be bouncing off the rev limiter.

Isn't that how your supposed to drive them?

Anyway I think it would be nice is all insurance policys were based on driver skill, and you take a skill test with each premium. I'd like this as the test would costs probably around £25 (an hour of driving instructors time) and would knock my insurance a hell of a lot lower!

thats an old thread. if arnold or any other mod see's this he will say why you bringing up dead and old threads back up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back