The good luck continues.

Am i going to get banned?

• Total voters

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Right i think im due to be banned from driving.

Basically i was joining the M69 from the main round-a-bout in leicester.

I noticed some road works on the hard shoulder, no workmen on the actual carridgeway (in or out of the hard shoulder) (but one or two on the roundabout), and no signs of a tempory speed limit on the actual carridgeway (as in, it looked as if one wouldnt be needed just for a few cones in the shoulder, plus there was no signs). So, i gave it a good load of toe to get my speed to 70.

I then noticed two police cars with flashy lights on in the hard shoulder, just after the cones, one of which was like a jeep with a big thing on top of it, looked like a speed camera perhapes??....

So i thought i better keep it to 70 for a minute, and did.

Anyways a tiny bit furthur down the road, i seen an "End of roadworks sign, national speed limit applies" sign (point B on picture 2) and thought.. "OH ****!"

Later on in the day i went back to the round a bout to see what/if a tempory limit was in force, just before the roundabout that joins the motorway i noticed a sign that says "30" (point A on picture 1).

So it looks alot like i went 70, through a camera, in a 30 limit. To be honest i would have thought i would have been chased, but maybe this jeep had recording equipment on board.

The motorway at the time showned no sign of needing or actually being a 30 other then a few cones in the hard shoulder.

So what do we think?

Im i going to:

Get away with it (probably wasnt a camera)
Get a load of points and a massive fine
Get a ban

Vote now (whist i go change my underpants coz i been crapping them all day)

lmao at pics sorry mate...

anyways back on topic...

tbh just hope for the best thers nothing you can do to change what is inevitable... but hopefully for you they were just really lazy cops with no recording equipment, saying that motorway cops are really observant...

this may just be a wake up call to you so i would just relax, carryon driving as you have been, and hope for the best...

good luck anywho...

yeah i spose. if i get banned/big fine i may contest it on the grounds of no sign on the actual carrigeway and no justification of a 30mph limit.

sorry Picasso, but motorway cops have eyes like a hawk, they never miss a trick, I've also read somewhere that leicestershire is the 3rd highest earning police force for speeding fines, topped with the fact that anything more than 30mph over any speed limit is an instant ban (possibly dangerous driving), I personally think it doesn't look good. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I would be preparing myself for the worst if I were you, but hey, having said that you could get away with it, good luck.(Y) (Y)

if there was no sign there, you didn't know it was a 30mph zone, imo you've done nothing wrong, unless ive read this post wrong of course.

i genuinely didnt know it was a 30 zone, as it was sign posted before the round-a-bout (and i obviously over-looked it).

And the roadworks (well a few cones in the hard shoulder) hardly looked to me like it needed to be reduced from the national limit, let alone to 30!!!!

Im wondering, could this jeep thing have been ANPR?

hmm don't think it would have been an ANPR, plus even it was, they don't record speed do they? Its just for untaxed/stolen vehicles.

basically i was on a dual-carridgeway approaching a motorway.

There was a 30 sign at the end of the dual-carridgeway as they were digging up the round-a-bout (i didnt see this the first time round).

So i took it easy over the round a bout and as the motorway looked clear (like a few cones in the hard shoulder) i give it the boot (to get it to 70).

Then i seen this queer camera thing and thought "hmm best not do more then 70 for a minute"..... then i seen this national speed limit sign...

They were NO signs on the motorway saying 30, however it was a 30 zone, i will still use this to contest a ban if i get one.

ANPR doesnt do speed i dont think

Had a friend that exactly the same thing happend (bit scery realy) and she was banned for 2 yearshad to do the test agen and 150 pound fine but was 17 and only past her test 3 mounths befor...

Glad to know I'm not the only one that worries about this stuff mate. Theres exactly the same situation on a dual carriageway up by me, 30mph limit half a mile from any sign of life at the roadworks approaching a roundabout and they seem to have a camera van there every couple of days. I've got to look out for 30 signs on there like a hawk.

Theres an interesting letter in my local paper about it from someone complaining about being caught on there. Basically they're as PO'd as you are about it, but I think they only seem to be worried about a few points and a fine. They don't mention a ban.

My opinion is that if your really unlucky, you might get 3 points and a fine. I think a ban would be harsh, providing your license is clean thus far. I think the "30 mph over the limit = instant ban" thing is just an idea being banded around parliament at the moment. I've got an uncle who's been pulled doing a ton on the motorway at least twice. Worst he got was 3 points and a fine.

Also something worth remembering, I believe that if there are speed cameras on a road (either fixed or mobile), there must be signs telling you this. These signs must be either fixed, or temporary, either displayed on, or close to the camera van. Did you see any?

Finally, you might find this website useful.....http://www.safespeed.org.uk/ Also, check here:
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/index.php Gives you all kinds of info about the cameras and legal loopholes.

If you do get a "notice of intended prosecution" through the post (speeding ticket), make sure you pick over it with a fine tooth comb and fight it like Tyson if theres any kind of discrepancies with the time, date, place in which the ticket was issued, or the calibration data of the speed detector used.

Hope this is of some use.....

Oh also, I beleive that if you have been caught by a fixed camera, a notice of intended prosecution must be issued within 28 days of the "offence". So with a bit of luck a month from now you'll know the outcome.

However, I'm not 100% certain that this applies to mobile speed detectors, so thats probably one for you to check.

I know theres a lot of vagueness to all this and I could be wrong on some of it, but I'm just going on the information that I beleive to be correct. If anyone knows any better, then feel free to correct me :)

Oh and sorry to see the situation with the bump strips too! Hope you get them sorted at a good price :)

It sounds like it may be an ANPR setup rather than a speed camera. Saw similar setups when I was working for Durham police last year. Could be wrong though.

I Think the same as Titch they would have pulled you if there were flashing lights.
AND there does have to be signs indicating that there is a speed camera somewere along the road.

I'v been in a similar situation before (apart from that I new there was a limit) on the A1(I think) going down to Norfolk and there was a very suspect van with a camera there and I zoomed passed him shouting oh #### as I spotted him! (or her) was crappin myself for a couple of weeks after until my mam finally told me that I would have def had one by now if I had got 1 as the are so quick to take your money.....the moral of the story is some are just there to scare you (well thats my theory)

I went past one of them at a just over 160 and never heard anything from them. as someone said.. they would of chased if they wanted to nick u. but what i would of done is just go back and take photo's of where the signs are etc... some paintbrush pics wont be very hard evidence if u want to fight it.
90% sure your ok :)

This site might help http://www.pepipoo.com/ ? But I think you'll be ok. Like the others have said, there have to be speed camera signs to warn you, so even if you missed the speed limit sign you would have seen these. Also, if it was police cars by the side of the road, rather than a proper camera van, would have thought they'd have gone after you there and then, rather than send something through the post.

thanks for the replies.

They were NO signs at all of a speed camera, just the one 30mph sign before the round-a-bout that joins the m69.

And the car im worried abit was a 4x4 with a strange thing on its roof, it was fiarly big (this thing) and looked like a camera/anpr/something. i been running things through google to try and get an image but i cant find anything like it :/

When it comes down to it, if the police wish to prosecute... they will. Also, unless you have very hard evidence that there were no noticable signs and that the only sign of the speed restriction was behind the joining road then you wouldnt have much to go on.

Can I ask, was it a Contraflow? Or was it simply some roadworks at the side of the dual-carridge way? If it were a contraflow, they would probably argue the fact that contraflows are always speed restricted and you should have been more cautious. However, the only way your going to know like gam said, wait the 28 days.

My local plod has a list of mobile camera sites on their website....is there anything similar for you, that you can check to see if it's a likely location?

I know how you feel.....about 2 weeks after I passed my test, I drove past a camera van, and couldn't remember whether I was doing 30 or 35+. Spent a few weeks in a panic, as I'd gone past on the way down too without noticing it was there, could've lost my license under the new drivers act, just from that.

I've got myself a Snooper now. :shy:

My sat nav tells me when there are speed cameras and were mobile speed cameras usualy are its a bit of a pain when It beeps constantly when there is not 1 there it also tells me when Im doing over the limit some certain areas

lol nah nothing like a contra flow, these were not big roadworks, it was literally a few cones in the hard shoulder, right at the start of the m69 (not even effecting the main carridgeway)

i checked the local plods mobile camera list and nothing was listed for the m69, which i guess is promising but i thought that list was just for vans, not the plods that want to go spot checking.

i checked the local plods mobile camera list and nothing was listed for the m69, which i guess is promising but i thought that list was just for vans, not the plods that want to go spot checking.

Yep and they usually pull you

Gemma85 said:
My sat nav tells me when there are speed cameras and were mobile speed cameras usualy are its a bit of a pain when It beeps constantly when there is not 1 there it also tells me when Im doing over the limit some certain areas

Its better to have it going off alot and slowing down than to ignore it and get caught! I did a journey once when there were loads of mobile cameras marked out on my sat nav but i didnt see one at all, so i just decided to ignore them. Later on in the journey there was one but i was doing about 77 in a 70. I was very very fortunate i didnt get a ticket, but i wont be ignoring them in future.

My mate has something in his car tho which warns him when he's approaching potential hazard spots and schools etc, very high pitch, loud and irritating!!

A girl I know got caught doing 108 in a 70. Got a 21 day ban, and a £185 fine - no points. So even if you did get caught out, it might not be so bad. Especially given the circumstances. If the roadworks are still there, I'd go and take some pics of the signs etc, but on a film camera, not digital, so they can't say you've tampered with it.

rallybunny said:
A girl I know got caught doing 108 in a 70. Got a 21 day ban, and a £185. So even if you did get caught out, it might not be so bad. Especially given the circumstances. If the roadworks are still there, I'd go and take some pics of the signs etc, but on a film camera, not digital, so they can't say you've tampered with it.
Wow I thought anything over 100 was like "wave goodbye to your license for a long time" territory! Very lucky if you ask me!

James said:
Wow I thought anything over 100 was like "wave goodbye to your license for a long time" territory! Very lucky if you ask me!

I think she went for the "I need my car for work, I'll loose my job without it" then.

Ahh I see, my uncle used that one, and a very good lawyer, to keep his license on 12 points (or whatever it usually gets taken away on), he really did need it though, and the company testified to it too.

you sound like u was just unlucky, and u could possibly have a ban..

although my mate is 19, has an illegal for road golf, and has been caught speeding, received 6 point and 200 pound fine, then a few months later he was caught doing over double the speed limit by an undercover cop car, who thinks he might get 6 more points and a fine instead of an instance ban... double speed limit usually results in an instant ban...

you dont have strong grounds to contest either sugar... there was a sign before the roundabout, as thats usually where speed reductions start...

i hope you dont get a ban, i would hate for anyone to be convicted under awkward circumstances,.... good luck...

btw if police have it on camera then they dont usually need to chase you...

you sure it wasnt the highway agencies???

James said:

Another lad i know was caught doing over 120 on the dual carriageway and got only and £60.00 fine...

I witness this too.... he was a bit lucky :) think the police man liked us all :D maybe just liked the car ;)

nah they had they're red n blue flashing lights on. The only 30 sign was right at a busy junction on a round a bout, no wonder i missed it when there was a lot of traffic about, if it comes to me getting a ban, i will argue it becuase its plain stupid.

Having worked with the Ambulance service a while we have got to know a lot of the police forces. From what I can gather from them is if they saw you come off the round about then toe it to 70 then they would have sent the second vehicle to pull you over.

What you have to remember is that if they record you speeding it is in their best interests to stop you immediately for reasons to do with safety. For all they know you could drive through all 30 zones at 70.

I think you've got away with it personally!

Just say you were in the second lane with a large truck to your right obstructing your view of the 30 sign - they cant prove a truck wasnt there - but yeah uve got away with it..

Dusk said:
Just say you were in the second lane with a large truck to your right obstructing your view of the 30 sign - they cant prove a truck wasnt there - but yeah uve got away with it..

thats more then likely the truth, the round a bout was busy and i was in the middle lane (left lane is for m1 south and right lane for m1 north and i wanted middle lane m69) so traffic would have been obsctructing the signs.

it was a massive dual carridgeway/motorway, as i didnt see signs i assumed the national speed limit applied (70).. should have been repeat signs yes but they was none :/

rlees85 said:
it was a massive dual carridgeway/motorway, as i didnt see signs i assumed the national speed limit applied (70).. should have been repeat signs yes but they was none :/

Reckon you'll be ok then. Go and take some pics, or get someone else to while you're driving, if the roadworks are still in place.

I used to work traffic managment...

IF there is a speed restriction in place... you should abide by it...!!.. the 'temporary speed restiction cameras' are the HOTTEST...

FACT!

IF a traffic managment company are about to set out ( called 'installing' ) some road works on a major road- i.e. usually 70pmh etc.. the TEMPORARY SPEED RESTRICTION will be in place before a single cone is on the road...

this will be in place to make the installation of the job as safe as possible for the Traffic managment lads...

Its commonplace for the T.M. lads to line the cones, that will be installed in the job, down the hard shoulder as it reduces the 'HIGH risk' time... I.e the time it takes to install the job..

So, Especially at nighttime, there will be a time period before and after the 'works' is carried out..... that there is a Speed restriction on the road with no visable sign of roadworks.... does this make sense?

USUALLY the police will be present during high risk procedures and installations.... BUT there is always a bit of leniency with the restrictions when they are JUST enforced....

This is what your situation sounds like to me....

Personally I think you'll be fine... the flashing lights are more of a deterrent than anything to let people know that the police are there.....

longwinded explanation but i hope it helps..

Arnold said:
Its better to have it going off alot and slowing down than to ignore it and get caught! I did a journey once when there were loads of mobile cameras marked out on my sat nav but i didnt see one at all, so i just decided to ignore them. Later on in the journey there was one but i was doing about 77 in a 70. I was very very fortunate i didnt get a ticket, but i wont be ignoring them in future.

My mate has something in his car tho which warns him when he's approaching potential hazard spots and schools etc, very high pitch, loud and irritating!!

Arnold the reason you didnt get a ticket is because you are allowed to be 10% over the speed limit.

My girlfriend is a copper and apparently they dont have to give you a ticket within 28 days now, I have known people to have tickets through their doors, months after they have committed the offence.

The van you saw was more likely to be a CCTV Police van monitoring traffic.

Also did you not notice that you were overtaking other cars faster then normal, and no one was over taking you.

if it is a fine and points ask to see the calibratioon logs for the camera. Bloke in Jap Performance this month got away with doing a course because the police couldnt be arsed to prove the camera was calibred to the right settings.

yes i was in the outside lane as i was accelerating onto the motorway quite quickly, im 90% sure the traffic in the inside lane was going above 30mph tho! (40, 50, maybe even 60).

If i get a fine or a ban im taking it to court, they simply was not enough signs, if they want to enforce a limit id expect to see at least one set if signs on the actual motorway (not before a round a bout)

btw thanks everyone whose commented, very appreciated, cant beleive this thread has gone onto 5 pages, still thanks very much :D

Back