Oil question

The manual says to use 15w/40 and so indeed does the FAQ on here, but when you speak to Halfords etc they recomend 5w/30, is this right?

Nope, don't trust halfords, they aren't mechanics. I used 10w40 and that was fine but go with the haynes manual, they are always right.

when i first serviced mine after getting it i stupidly followed what halfords said and used 5/30 now the car leaks oil,dont use it.
I've since been talking to some mechanics and one from nissan and they all said as most here either 10/40 or 15/40

when i first serviced mine after getting it i stupidly followed what halfords said and used 5/30 now the car leaks oil,dont use it.

Then you have a leak in your oil system, don't blame halfords for your servicing skills lol

Then you have a leak in your oil system, don't blame halfords for your servicing skills lol

Ive been servicing cars for long time,How could i cause a leak coming from somewhere ive never touched by changing the oil,there might have been a dodgy seal that the thicker oil couldnt get through, the 5/30 is too thin and i've confirmed this with nissan mechanics and thats the point the halfords book is wrong

Nissan made the car, Halfords didn't!

5W30 sounds too thin to me too. As the timing chain tensioner works off the oil pressure I'd want nice clean oil of the correct viscosity running thru it.

If you use oil thats too thin it can leak as the thinner oil can leak out of weak areas easier than the correct oil. Newer engines with finer tolerances might be ok with 5W30 but not a Micra.

I have the correct Nissan oil of the correct viscosity on ebay but I'm not posting a link or my post will magically disappear! LOL!

I have just had my 2001 1.4 K11 serviced by a Nissan main dealer and they have just put in Mobil Super 3000XE which I believe is 5W30, should I get them to change it for 10W40 or are they going to tell me they have put the right oil in?

Back