1.4 Drinking Oil

Hi, my modified 1.4 drinks some oil. We're talking around 1l every 1000 miles.

I run Shell Helix HX7 10W/40 as I have always done. Its around £20 for 4 litres.

To help protect the car, I have been recommended Fuchs racing 15W/50 oil. This is supposed to give good protection on a highly strung engine, i.e one that gets hot and taken to high revs. This oil is thicker than the one I use so the oil consumption should be less (right?) however, what I don't want to do is spend £50 on 5 litres of the Fuchs racing oil only to find the car just burns it away within a few thousand miles! So I am thinking to get a 'high mileage 15w/40 oil' which is supposed to help seal the engine and reduce oil consumption.

I am leaning more towards a high mileage 15w/40 rather than the Fuchs oil. But I can't find any high mileage oil from a big company though in the UK.
The only high mileage oil I can find is Carlube for £25 for 4 litres, so it much cheaper than the fuchs oil.

Can anyone recommend what I do? Please help as I really am unsure what the best step is.

when I used to run JE forged pistons, they always burned a ridiculous 1L per 300mile, piston tops were always oily damp, spark plugs coated in white ash, head & pistons had thick buildup of carbon.
in the very end after I once tried adding lucas oil stabiliser (which was maybe too thick and seized the big-ends) and blewing it up on boost, I discovered it was all caused by JE machining the oil ring groove too tight, therefore the oil ring seized and never ever worked.

on the other side, most of the standard NA cg13 engines I've ran hardly burned any oil as long as the oil ring gaps were within limits

so check if ur plugs & pistons are damp and figure why & where it's burning/leaking oil

when I used to run JE forged pistons, they always burned a ridiculous 1L per 300mile, piston tops were always oily damp, spark plugs coated in white ash, head & pistons had thick buildup of carbon.
in the very end after I once tried adding lucas oil stabiliser (which was maybe too thick and seized the big-ends) and blewing it up on boost, I discovered it was all caused by JE machining the oil ring groove too tight, therefore the oil ring seized and never ever worked.

on the other side, most of the standard NA cg13 engines I've ran hardly burned any oil as long as the oil ring gaps were within limits

so check if ur plugs & pistons are damp and figure why & where it's burning/leaking oil

Interesting info bud. My plugs all look decent and piston tops are all dry but piston 3 did look slightly moist. I did a dry and wet comp test not too long ago and cyl 1, 2, and 4 gave decent results, but the oil control rings on cyl3 seem to be the culprit, so thats where I think I am losing oil.

I've been told on facebook that humphris do sell a set oil control rings for the CGA for £120, but since I am not mechanically knowleagble enough to change piston rings, I would end up racking a heavy labour bill to get them changed, to the point where, for me, its not worth it.

This is why, as a fix, I am thinking to use a heavier racing oil, or a heavier high mileage oil, to help reduce that oil consumption. Just unsure which oil to use though lol!

Hi mate,
I had good results with STP oil additive, which is really thick!
I've seen your vids on YouTube and although really impressive, you are pushing that little engine far harder than Nissan intended!
If you use a decent 15w50 or 20w50 plus the STP you should burn a lot less.
I'm no engineer though, so don't take my advice for gospel.
One good thing though, you know you have decent oil pressure!
All the best

Hi mate,
I had good results with STP oil additive, which is really thick!
I've seen your vids on YouTube and although really impressive, you are pushing that little engine far harder than Nissan intended!
If you use a decent 15w50 or 20w50 plus the STP you should burn a lot less.
I'm no engineer though, so don't take my advice for gospel.
One good thing though, you know you have decent oil pressure!
All the best

Yes the little engine is being pushed too much ?. For the last month, I’ve not taken it above 7.2k and don’t intend to, for longevity.

I’ll look into the STP additive.
Thanks for the advice and for watching buddy :)

It's always no. 3 that lets go, I suspect the water ways around the engine means it runs hotter than the other 3.

They all end up using oil after lots of abuse, my old rally engine always drank oil....

It's always no. 3 that lets go, I suspect the water ways around the engine means it runs hotter than the other 3.

They all end up using oil after lots of abuse, my old rally engine always drank oil....

my brother was having a debate with me.
His view was that a particular cylinder cannot wear more than the others, they would all wear the same, so if one has worn piston rings, then all of them do
So when I told him it’s just cyl3 that’s the problem, he wouldn’t believe me.
At least now I have something to come back to him with!

Back