NS-1 CVT fluid "no longer for sale".

Hello.

I am new here and i appreciate the CVT fluid question has been asked a bunch and i have read those posts but want to make sure i do the job right. I have a low mileage 2002 K11 1.0 CVT (the gearbox with the screw in type filter on the outside of the casing).

I called nissan and spoke for a long time regarding what fluid for the CVT box and he said matic-d which i pointed out says clearly on the bottle "not to be used on transmissions needing NS-1". It says NS-1 only fluid on the dipstick and so he did some digging. Finally he went through the whole oil sheet he had and found some part numbers and the conclusion is that Nissan NS-1 fluid is "no longer for sale. They offered no alternative. The filter is still for sale and is £70! (There is cheaper alternatives i have found though so it is fine).

Question 1)
Does this fluid seem suitable for the transmission and has anyone used it?

It specifically states just NS-1 regarding nissan not NS-1, NS-2 and NS-3. I dont understand how a fluid can be perfect for multiple needs yet from nissan there is different fluids for each but i am not a scientist or an engineer of any kind :)

Question 2)

What is the best way to purge the gearbox of all the old fluid? If all the old fluid isn't completely removed will mixing be a problem (i have no idea what colour this fluid is)?

Sorry for the long winded post but thought I'd share my experience of what nissan had to say. I appreciate any responses and hope to keep my tidy little micra on the road for many years to come :)

Hi there.

Question 1)

Yes that should work, but i was under the impression the cvt uses NS-3? have you tried the nissan store? the official one?

Question 2)

The color us mostly pink/red or dark ruby you can drain it from the plug underneath like a bolt but to fill it up? you can use an extension funnewl the thin one and pour in the dipstick hole.

Also make sure you change the cvt oil filter you can get them on AUTO DOCS

As for the mixing concern? just wait an hour+ make sure everything is drained, any left overs? won't cause harm.

Hi there.

Question 1)

Yes that should work, but i was under the impression the cvt uses NS-3? have you tried the nissan store? the official one?

Question 2)

The color us mostly pink/red or dark ruby you can drain it from the plug underneath like a bolt but to fill it up? you can use an extension funnewl the thin one and pour in the dipstick hole.

Also make sure you change the cvt oil filter you can get them on AUTO DOCS

As for the mixing concern? just wait an hour+ make sure everything is drained, any left overs? won't cause harm.
I spoke to the nissan dealer that is local who said matic-d but then agreed that as it says only use ns-1 fluid on the dipstick for the transmission and the matic-d says not to be used for transmissions needing ns1 ns2 and ns3 fluid that it was probably best not to use that. Its funny as if i had sent it there for a fluid change they would have most likely have filles it with matic-d which may have caused me issues.

I dropped nissan directly via email and they actually had someone from their technical team call me which was surprising. He confirmed it should be ns1 fluid for the gearbox but also confirmed that nissan no longer have any inventory for this any more and it therefore cannot be ordered. There wasnt really anything else he could offer as an alternative from them.

I have ordered the ravenol stuff and i have seen that is red in colour so it should be sufficient. I also got the filter ordered so i am going to give it a good change soon. There is no transmission issue as far as i can tell and the fluid in there is red and clean. I just like to look after things and with no history of it being changed it is something i am going to do for piece of mind.

I appreciate the response and i will update how it goes so anyone else reading this has a reference. Nissan were helpful yet not able to help further with the fluid. The filter is £70+ and available still but im not paying that when there is alternatives. Its just a screw on filter at the end of the day.

Tat £70 is for the BRAND NISSAN and maybe "made in japan" filter lol...

My oil filter is made in japan and fitted under my micra it cost me around £20 at the time but you can get the cheap un brand versions for like £4

The CVT oil filter well i always wonder can any oil filter work as a CVT oil filter?
he wanted you to pay for the brand but i linked you up to the others which are decent prices.

Where? I'm checking that site and if i type NS1 OR NS-1 nothing comes up/

Can you send a link here Alex?

Where? I'm checking that site and if i type NS1 OR NS-1 nothing comes up/

Can you send a link here Alex?

Cheers

Back