Accidental CVT fluid drain. HELP!

Hello,

Allow me introduce myself. I am an idiot.

Yesterday I volunteered to change the engine oil on my girlfriends k11. With all the confidence in the world I exuberantly slid under the the car, located the sump and drain bolt, undid said bolt and drained all the fluid into my trusty oil catching can. I then looked for the oil filter. I noticed another sump and drain bolt. "****".

My exuberant slide had landed me underneath the gearbox and my poorly placed confidence had let myself undo the first thing I saw that matched what I thought I was looking for.

I now had a couple of litres of CVT fluid in my trusty oil can. That can has built up my trust over many past oil changes and as such had the dregs of the many oil changes in the bottom. This meant the CVT fluid was now a write off.

I sheepishly told my girlfriend what I had done. She panicked and phoned her dad. I got on google.

My googling led me to a load of forums full of people saying that you should use nothing but Nissan branded NS1 spec CVT fluid in the NCVT. My girlfriends dad got on the phone to his mate who works at Halfords and got him to check what it needed. Halfords came back with using a Dex III ATF, contradicting almost all the keyboard mechanics recommendations.

Cue an argument between my girlfriend and I about what was right. As with these types of things I gave in eventually. The path of least resistance was to agree with her and her dads mate and it was more convenient as I already had a 5L thing on Dex III ATF in the shed.

Anyway...

tl;dr
I put a couple of litres of Dex III ATF into a CVT.

I understand the logic of needing a different spec fluid for a CVT as it's an entirely different thing to a regular auto tranny but will it be okay with the ATF?

If anyone has anyone has any evidence for or against the use of ATF I'd be eternally grateful if you could post it. I'm talking about experience of running a CVT with ATF for considerable milage and what the outcome was. Also references to haynes manuals etc would be helpful.

Thank you all.

Regards,
An idiot.

Haynes manual states Dexron IIE or Dexron III automatic transmission fluid (ATF)

2015-10-20-133.jpg

We all make mistakes. Take it as lesson learned lol

Back