not always selecting reverse gear

Belly93

to turbo or new lump :/ hmmm
does anyone have any idea on what the problem could be i cant always select reverse gear, i have to put it back into neutral and try again usually it goes in second time but i have had to try 3 or 4 times to get reverse before :/

Sorry to revive this thread but as it appears to be unanswered it seemed better than starting a new one.

I've been having the exact same problem. Sometimes it goes in first time, but there are a few annoying times where the stick will go to the reverse position and the reverse light turns on, but it doesn't seem to click into place. Trying to engage the clutch the first time I noticed resulted in an awful grinding sound. I've since gotten used to knowing when it's not quite in.

When the engine is off, I can freely select all gears no problem, but this only happens when the car is running, making me think this is the box rather than bushes or linkages. Someone better educated in this sort of thing might disagree though. Any suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• 7597.JPG
    7597.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 337
Well, this has happened with almost every car I've driven, I just put it in 1st, move it juuuuust a tiny bit forward and goes to reverse nicely.

I've had this on a few cars on my time. I hold it in the reverse position even though I know it's not fully engaged and just very slightly release the clutch. It then drops straight in with just a slight clunk.

ALWAYS wait for the car to fully stop before engaging reverse, preferably still in gear whilst your braking and clutch disengaged.
If you shifted into neutral whilst stopping the car, wait 2-5sec after disengaging the clutch before selecting reverse.

The reverse gear has no synchro and involves sliding a separate straight cut gear cog between the input shaft and main shaft to "reverse" the rotation.

This means that both the input & main shafts & reverse cog MUST be speed matched before they can slot together without crunching.
Since the reverse cog is totally isolated from the spinning shafts when it's not engaged, it will be stationary upon selection.
So this dictates that both input & main shaft MUST be stationary before the reverse cog can be inserted.

The main shaft always follow the differential/wheel speed so if the wheels are still, the main shaft is also still.

Whenever you disengage the clutch whilst above idle rpm AND immediately disconnect the input shaft from the main shaft by selecting Neutral before braking, the input shaft and clutch disc are still spinning quickly with some inertia. Reason for waiting 2-5s here is to allow the input shaft to decelerate to a full stop before the reverse cog can be inserted.

When you disengage the clutch & brake BUT leave it in gear, the input shaft will follow the main shaft. So when the wheels stop, the main & input shaft also stop so you can immediately engage reverse gear.

BTW all 5 speed gearboxes prevent the driver from going from 5th straight into reverse as a safety feature. You have to go from 5th, to neutral in the middle and then select reverse.

Another note is to check the clutch ain't dragging and the bite point is 1/4 - 1/2 way up. And check the gear selector bushes ain't worn loose which could makes selection vague or difficult.

Back