K10 Manual conversion gearbox is now not selecting 1st or reverse

Since getting the car converted about a month back the gear change has been harsh. Put this down to the short shifter which had new bushes.

However on the way back from a day trip 20mile round trip I found it difficult to lock into 1st and 2nd. Managed to get home avoiding first where I could. Tried reversing once when I left the venue, very hard to get it into gear and once when I put it on the drive.

Now had it parked for 30 mins, try to leave for work and not a chance of getting it into first or reverse.

So original gearbox owner said it was sweet as a nut and when he test drove it at Charlies rolling road day said he could hear the rattling too, and it wasnt from engine but gearbox.

So, any ideas of what it could be?? Alignment of new box, clutch cable? knackered gearbox in general??

does it selects the rest of the gears fine? Gearbox oil level fine? by it not going into gear, do you mean that you cant physically push it in, or does it grind alot and not slot in? Can they be selected with the engine not running?

If it cannot be selected even when in neutral I'd say that the selector may have broken. possibly one of the syncro hubs or fork. This can happen when gear changes are too harsh although usually it affects third gear. I have however lost 1st before.

What I don't understand is why you don't call to let me know when you have issues! I have experienced almost everything the K10 can throw at anyone!! You need to arrange to get this engine from me too! :)

I tied to bud, didnt get through to your mobile, was desperate to see if you knew a quick fix so I could get to work.

I know you said the short shifter was stiff for a reason, so simply thought "meh, build my arm muscles up". Its been ok to and from work for a few weeks.

I'm hoping to pick engine off you tomorrow,off to Bristol first thing to get 34 dash and alloys for be-1 then hopeflly enough time to get it unloaded, down to yours etc.

im in late every day this weeke execpt fri if that helps. Its possible you have broken the selector hub trying to get it into gear with that shifter, its a known weakspot of those boxes.

No not really they can be fixed if you cannot find one. It was a common fault back in the day.

Bud, will def be down tomorrow. Was hoping to get down to Ace Cafe tonight in either the be or the skyline. Attempted to put the dash back in the skyline, 5 hours later and still going. :(

On a good note, if your still up for nistune-ing the skyline, I have another 3 blokes in the queue behind me if it goes well. :D

If I'm not at the workshop tomorrow I'll be on the dyno, got a TVR, 200sx and an early Evo to do :) ...

Yes for sure on the skyline no problem at all, if you can confirm them in some way ill sort you out a never to be repeated deal...

Right, got half way to Ed's today, and it dieded.

Pulled over in Sunninghill/dale and bonnet up jobbey. Seems the clutch cable had come out of the retainer and was not opening fully. Slotted the plastic back in and it was changing gear, but really high release. Adjusted it a bit as it was slack as #######s and all gears back :D Still slightly ropey but hoping Ed can take another gander at it this week.

Back