Problem selecting gear on auto K12

Hi, this is my first post here, my mother has a k12 micra auto (2003 model) and the problem is when starting the car and selecting reverse or drive it sometimes takes numerous attempts to get the lever to move. I know there is a brake pedal switch which activates a solenoid or something which allows the button on the gear lever to be pressed in order to select a gear but i'm unsure where the problem actually is (ie if its with the switch or the solenoid that releases the button)

My mother is 70yrs old and i really want to get this problem sorted for her without having to take it to a dealer so is there a way of by passing the safety switch?

Also what actually causes the button to be released and where exactly is it? I'm planning to strip back the centre console and gearshift surround and tackle the problem myself but i'd like to have an idea on how the thing works before attempting it.

TIA

Carl.

Same gear lever problem..

Hi Carl

I just wondered if you were able to resolve that problem with the gear lever sticking - or if you found out what it was?

We're about to buy an '03 K12 Micra which has the same issue (although if you shove the lever to the left a bit it seems to be okay, and the button works).

Many thanks
Simon

PARK (more commonly known as "P") basically puts a bar across the transmission to stop it moving, kinda equivalent to leaving a manual transmission in reverse, just adds an extra layer of stoppedness to the handbrake.

If the transmission is under stress when you put it into Park, then it will be difficult to move it out of Park.

This is likely to occur when parked on a gradient, if the handbrake lets the car slip slightly, the car will rest on the Park bar, or perhaps some previous owner (or your mum) has a bad habit of relying on the Park position and not using the handbrake, thus putting extra strain on it.

I've also read before (had similar trouble with an auto Chavalier) that you should apply the handbrake, fully release the foot brake, THEN select Park.

I'd start there anyway.

PS sorry for a very late reply...

Hi funky..thanks for your reply.
However the problem I'm having (and I suspect Carl had) is more to do with the button than the actual lever.
Basically, when in Park, the button won't go in to release the gear lever.
BUT I found that if you push the lever to the left then the button works fine every time, and allows the stick to be moved down.
I'm trying to figure out why that would be - why does nudging the gear stick to the left then release the button - could it be symptomatic of a serious/expensive problem?

Could still be related to what I said. Imagine your handbrake is on supertight, sometimes you have to pull the lever up before you can push the button to release the ratchet. Same idea.

Back