Non-starter, sounds electrical

Hi guys, Im hoping someone can help here as im a little stumped!

I got into my micra after work yesterday and there was nothing, turn the ignition and all you hear is the usual buzz (nats i think) then when you go to the start position you just hear a click. Its as if theres no power getting to the starter motor.

Messed around with the battery connectors, started fine. Got home, tried again - no go. This time even taking the connectors off, cleaning them up and putting them back on has done nothing. Good spark from the connectors.

So far ive tested the following:

Turned headlights on and tried to start, they stay bright, no difference.

Side lights on and start - they get brighter? Not sure if this is normal?

Heater on with fan blowing - when the key gets to the start position the fan turns off, normal or not?

The nats light does go off on the dash after the key is checked so I dont think its that.

Any ideas? Cheers.

The buzzing, if its from behind you will be the fuel lines priming...if its not the battery which its sounding like its not, id be pointing a finger at the starter motor solenoid.

Check all the wiring for good earths and make sure the live is on tight, you can even try hitting the starter gently and they trying to start the car as it may be sticky.

dfrear

yes starter solenoid is what i would check
if you run a length of wire from the batt plus to the 10mm nut on the starter motor solenoid that should tell you yay or nay

thanks for the quick replies guys, at the risk of sounding a little dumb - could anyone point me in the right direction for the starter motor? Im not sure where/which part it is :blush:

stand in front of the battery and look past it and down into the engine bay the starter motor is the big black cylinder thats bolted onto the gearbox.

Hope that makes sense :)

Back