Noisy Exhaust

Hi all,
I noticed quite alot of exhaust noise from inside the micra is this normal ? There are no leaks that i can see/hear is there different types of silencer ?

Sounds like a Cherry bomb :( There's 2 muffler boxes done the pipe but the first one is round and the Haynes Bible shows it as flat and wide,could this be the problem ?

Thanks for now Paul

No there are two muffs on the euro models, the torpeedo shaped one followed by a small rectangular one, and then finally at the end of the pipe, the big old silencer. The haynes clearly shows both euro and non-euro types.
NO it is not normal for there to be large ammounts of ANY noise inside the car, there is clearly a breach in the structure of your car somewhere. Jack it way up in the air, get underneath it and check the floor very closely from back to front, side to side and all points in-between, looking for rot and holes.
Then i would suggest checking that the gear gaitor is not damaged or missing as this will also allow exhaust noise in. That is of course assuming that you have already checked the exhauset thoroughly (particularly the weld seems at either side of each of the three mufflers) and have found them to be perfect. I use the word thoroughly because sometimes the welds crack rather than blow a hole, these cracks are not always easy to see.

i would also check the exhaust rubber mountings as if the exhaust is vibrating against the chassis this can cause a lot of noise

Thanks guys....found the middle section was blowing also discovered the kind people who had fitted the exhaust have split most of the rubbers...Doh

Another noisy exhaust (different problem).

Hey, I've got a similar problem. When you sit in the car there is a rattle from the rear part of the exhaust which goes when you unload the suspension and get out. I looked underneath it and there are marks from the last bend in the exhaust hitting the part where the suspension link rods are attached to the rear axel. One of the rubbers does look suspect and I will replace it tomorrow hopefully but it doesn't look like it will do enough to stop the exhaust making contact with the rear axel.

If it's not the rubber then I was wondering if it might be a slightly scew fitted rear exhaust section (but it doesn't look like it). Has anybody else had this? Help/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks guys....found the middle section was blowing also discovered the kind people who had fitted the exhaust have split most of the rubbers...Doh
I'm always surprised at the amount of stories of bad mechanics leaving cats in a mess:(
Glad you've found the problem mate:) you gonna fix it yourself?

Hey, I've got a similar problem. When you sit in the car there is a rattle from the rear part of the exhaust which goes when you unload the suspension and get out. I looked underneath it and there are marks from the last bend in the exhaust hitting the part where the suspension link rods are attached to the rear axel. One of the rubbers does look suspect and I will replace it tomorrow hopefully but it doesn't look like it will do enough to stop the exhaust making contact with the rear axel.

If it's not the rubber then I was wondering if it might be a slightly scew fitted rear exhaust section (but it doesn't look like it). Has anybody else had this? Help/suggestions appreciated.
I would change the rubber, seems like that will fix it mate:)

Well i did take the pipe off and re-seal the connnection but when i started the car loads of waffle bits came shooting out of the back box ? Could this be baffle ?
Anyhow the car still seems noisy inside and i know its had to tell but the noise seems to be coming from the back ? Never been in a Micra K10 before or know anyone thats got one to compare.Any thoughts ?

Waffle? Like blocks of wasps nest? That's the cat. Never heard of it flying out the back of the car though :S Baffle looks more like someone's pony tail hanging out the back:)

Back