noise on start up

Hi, noticed that the micra makes a noise kind of like a "BERR" when starting from cold, the engine starts up straights away but as soon as it starts it makes the noise which lasts for a second then goes, if the engine is warm then theres no noise. anyone knows what it could be ?

Could be anything, can you be a little more precise with the noise, where it's coming from? what would you say the noise sounds like, rattling or rubbing?

That sounds your pump priming the pressure.
Have you turned the key to 2 and left it for a second before starting?

no we just turn the key and start it straight away. What pressure is it ? Oil pressure or fuel pressure. So the noises is nothing to worry about then so long as we leave the ignition on for a second or two before starting the car ?

If you turn the key to on without starting you'll hear the fuel pump prime. Its getting the fuel pressure up ready for running and nothing to worry about

Def not staryer motor failing to disengage. I've had that, sounds like someone dumped a bag of nuts and bolts into the engine, ended up checking valve clearences and such before finally diagnosing it. Could be trying to re-engage?
Hold key in starter position for a few seconds even after engine has started and you'll hear a slightly quieter version of the same sound.

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my micra only happens for first start up of the day but is becoming a bit annoying now, hope someone can provide solution

Yeah only happens on the first start so don't think it is the starter motor ? And tried leaving the ignition on for a few seconds and it still makes the noise. Anyone got any ideas then ??

The noise comes from the front of the car though if it was fuel pump wouldn't it come from the back ?? Also tried leaving the ignition on for 10 seconds an started the car the noise still happened. It's getting on my nerves now on cold start ups.

sounds like the starter mechanism is chattering as it retracts to me, probably the sealed 1 way drive thingy that stops you overspinning the starter

PB020010.JPG

Interesting thread, since doing the wife's timing chain hers now makes this noise.

Not looked into it but sounds more like a starter issue but no expert

Not sure on the starter motor as the noise only happens when the engine is first started on a morning however this morning it didn't do it either. So wouldn't of thought starter motor

had to go to Nissan today to get a new locking wheel nut key and showed the mechanic that came out the noise ons tart up

his words were - its a common thing on the micra, its the starter motor not disengaging properly. but don't worry it about the starter motor will go on forever don't change it

Sounds from timing chain. Timing chain tensioner works with oil pressure and pressure rises in a second after first startup. Then system works well. That sound is normal for most cars with timing chain. After long parking(4-5 hours+), timing chain tensioner loses oil pressure and it sounds at startup again like that.

It is not from starter motor. Faulty starter motor sounds bad at every startup.

So the Nissan mechanic I spoke to was wrong?

The timing chain tensioner is a tiny spring it would not make that noise, my wife's micra has a brand new tensioner in it so it's not that

Yes, cars with timing belt has a tensioner with spring because belts are easy to control at high rpm's. Timing chains are hard to control at high rpm's and has a hydraulic tensioner that controls the tension of chain by oil pressure.
I watched the video above. That sound comes from chain until tensioner get right oil pressure level, and totally normal.

If car make this sounds only first starts and no more again it is timing system sound and totally normal operating sound.
If make different sound on every start, it is starter motor etc.. problem.

So the Nissan mechanic I spoke to was wrong?

The timing chain tensioner is a tiny spring it would not make that noise, my wife's micra has a brand new tensioner in it so it's not that

its not the tensioner making the noise iirc, its the slack in the chain rattling until the tensioner takes it up

Bulls, no way is it the timing chain tensioner.

The timing chain tensioner is controlled by a small spring only and there's no way it would make that noise.

The timing chain tensioner is not controlled by oil pressure

mine was making a strange noise too, turns out it was just low on water, sounded like a bolt rattling about somewhere, even sounded like the exhaust at first, until i replaced my exhaust as the thing was hanging on for dear life, could be something as simple as that, ( i cant play the video for some reason so thats my 2 cents worth ;)

Hello all

First post. Inherited dads Micra 1.2 Acenta 2 weeks ago. DVLA stopped him driving. Car is a 57 plate, its 7 years old next month and has only done 21,000 miles. Inside and out its more like a 2 year old car not a 7 year old one. Full service history despite its low mileage. Even has the original tyres which are cracked and need replacing. Perfect as a town runabout, hope to keep it a few years.

But it makes the same noise on start up that is in the clip above. It does not do it every time but it will do it hot or cold, standing for hours or just after turning off as well, totally random.

Would be interested to know if anyone actually got to the bottom of this one.

Its in for a service and MOT next month, would be nice to have a bit more info ready should they tell me all sorts of bad things.

Thanks for your reply. Has it been doing it long?

Consensus from all the reports I have read point to the starter and having listened to the engine starting a couple of times it does appear to come from the gearbox end.

One report I read suggested the ignition barrel, any thoughts.

To be honest I can live with the noise providing the car keeps working. Just don't want the Mrs stranding.

Mines been making the noise on an off for 3/4years. Only time its never started is after extremely heavy rainfall. And only 2 cut outs,once after heavy rain,and the other when alternator belt went flying off. Neither id put as linked to the strange noise on start up.

That's reassuring to hear.

Since we got the Micra by some odd coincidence I have heard two other cars make exactly the same noise when starting. One was a 54 plate VW Beetle the other a 54 plate Mini.

This isn't the first Micra we have owned. Had a 55 plate one from new, absolute bargain, dealer knocked the price down by 29%. Sold it when it was 2 1/2 years old to fund my desire to have a BMW. That was a 1.2 S, this 1.2 Acenta has loads more kit, more than the BMW had in actual fact and is much better trimmed than the S was as well. The original was Blade Silver just like this Acenta but only had 3 doors, neighbours are probably confused.

Mines one if the old ones,prefacelift 1le model,got 2k knocked off by noticing a repair job on front wing,ha they didnt see that coming,terrible repair,wasnt even primed jus sprayed over. Is also in blade silver. Bit different to when it first come off the forecourt now haha

Well it went in for its service and MOT on Friday and while it was there I asked about the noise. Told it was the starter motor and they had replaced many at the owners request. The good news was they had never had a failure on one yet, expect ours will be the first. Told them to leave it for the time being, good job when it failed the MOT and need a new front spring.

I expected mine too,but turned out just to be a dust cover. Didn't think starter would be a worry like that,all the times mines made the noise it's never caused probs starting.

Its always a starter. Clutch dust builds up on the gear release that is in franks picture at the top. If you pull the gear up the shaft and spray a little wd40 in there it usually works for quite a while. Easy and cheap fix for you diyers. :)

Mines started making the starter noise, i've also heard a few Clios make the same sound. Damn if I wanted a Renault I would have bought one!

If you turn the key to on without starting you'll hear the fuel pump prime. Its getting the fuel pressure up ready for running and nothing to worry about
I have I.5 micra diesel should they make noise when priming I know petrol do, my diesel micra will crank but take along time to start and when running drives lovely

Back