Start up noise - starter motor? - includes video

Hi,

My Micra k12 has been doing a noise at the start. It does it most of the times (9 out of 10) and there doesn't seem to have a pattern on when it happens. Cold or hot, it happens.
I've read a few posts on noises when starting but most of them have no videos, so difficult to say if the symptom is the same.

My gut tells me it's an issue with the starter motor, but leaving a video here so you guys can help out.

Cheers,

Attachments

• VID_20200927_134118_2.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 391
Hi,

My Micra k12 has been doing a noise at the start. It does it most of the times (9 out of 10) and there doesn't seem to have a pattern on when it happens. Cold or hot, it happens.
I've read a few posts on noises when starting but most of them have no videos, so difficult to say if the symptom is the same.

My gut tells me it's an issue with the starter motor, but leaving a video here so you guys can help out.

Cheers,

My 1.2 does this, I think you may be right, it sounds like the starter motor not disengaging from the flywheel momentarily once the engine is started.
EDIT
I read that it isn't the starter motor, it's the timing chain tensioner before the oil reaches it.

:unsure:?‍♂️?‍♂️

Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
They all do it to some degree........I'm inclined to think it is the pre engaged starter dog not retracting quick enough as the engine fires......