Cold start and engine noise

Hi
Can anyone help as i got a 1.5 dci which when cold take a while to start, but when it starts it makes a loud tapping noise until warm then goes better but not completely.
Its only done 79000 on an 05 plate with full service history.
Im getting very worried about driving it.

OP
OP
k12666
That sounds a bit severe.
Though i Solved the cold start issue by getting some new glow plugs this morning but hasnt done a thing, the car just spins over for ages and eventually starts just as battery is about to give in.
need help desperately

Last edited:
My dci started difficult too. Killed my battery, but I found that the little plastic bowl to prime the engine with diesel after running it dry, was cracked. It leaked ever so slightly, and I never gave it a second thought. I did some digging and realized that the bowl lets air in while the car is standing. So the fuel line is full of air, that needs to be purged before the pump starts pumping diesel into the cylinders. Try giving the primer bulb a squeeze or two before starting, you will hear and feel the fuel being pumped. Other than that you may have a diesel pump that isn't working as well as it should. I would sell before it goes if that's the case.

As for the noise, have you ever had exposure to diesels before? They can sound VERY noisy for people used to petrol engines. You can reduce the noise a bit, and wear on the engine, by changing to a diesel engine specific oil. Take the car to a diesel mechanic and ask them to listen to the engine. They will be able to tell you whats normal.