Nissan Micra Engine bay picture

And that's why you asked for a picture. Here's one out the Haynes..

33516_10150257248225271_675470270_14550222_2636993_n.jpg

Thanks :grinning: It was pretty clean when I bought the car, having the rocker cover powder coated really lifted the look of the engine bay

Nothing. It basically what it says it is. An expansion tank for excess water in the cooling system to end up or something along those lines.

update to this - unfortunately i drove it again today and it over heated within a few miles, i pulled over and topped it right to the top with coolant, ive now left it, but i would have thought the last lot i put in would have sufficed - i would estimate about 4 pints!

what else might be wrong with it, ?
thanks

it could be one of many things, headgasket, frozen coolant, broken belt, stuck thermostat etc.
does it blow bubbles if you run it with the rad cap off ?

frank, no it doesnt blow bubbles when running with cap off.

R-REG-SR - Dont know, i bought the car about 8 months ago second hand, it is a 51 plate. i would guess its probably never been changed.

yer check its not frayed, snapped, tht its there. u shud get just under half a turn in it if u twist it a think.

nd while we are on the subject of over heating. my car, under heats?
ive only noticed it since we've had the cold weather. but when i put the heating on, the engine temp goes down. if i knock the heatin off though it goes back up to half way like normal. coould this jus be tht the heater matrix is acting like a radiator coolin the coolant?

thanks

my water pump was leaking as the rubber gasket had worn..ordered a new water pump that came with gasket from ebay for about 20 quid and solved it, you might be having the same issues.

yer check its not frayed, snapped, tht its there. u shud get just under half a turn in it if u twist it a think.

nd while we are on the subject of over heating. my car, under heats?
ive only noticed it since we've had the cold weather. but when i put the heating on, the engine temp goes down. if i knock the heatin off though it goes back up to half way like normal. coould this jus be tht the heater matrix is acting like a radiator coolin the coolant?

thanks

the heater matrix is part of the engine coolant system and is like a secondary radiator.

during the initial cold start warm up period you should dial the heater to full cold so that the engine has a chance to heat up asap.

once the engine's heated up proper and the thermostat begins to open to prevent overheating, you can turn heater to hot. the engine temp will drop abit for afew secs as you rob heat from the coolant but will soon return back to normal.

if ur engine temp always stays low especially for prolonged periods after turning heater on full, the thermostat may be stuck open

think i found the water pump belt - bottom left of the engine bay?
i rang a competent mechanic friend, and without seeing it he said it needs flushing out... is this a possibility?

i rang a competent mechanic friend, and without seeing it he said it needs flushing out... is this a possibility?

not very likely imo, if you previously had a weak antifreeze mix then the rad probably froze up causing the engine to overheat

ok, well i had a non existent mix to start! i had only water as it was topped to the max on purchase, so when it overheated i put loads of coolant in it and assumed that would fix it.

the heater matrix is part of the engine coolant system and is like a secondary radiator.

during the initial cold start warm up period you should dial the heater to full cold so that the engine has a chance to heat up asap.

once the engine's heated up proper and the thermostat begins to open to prevent overheating, you can turn heater to hot. the engine temp will drop abit for afew secs as you rob heat from the coolant but will soon return back to normal.

if ur engine temp always stays low especially for prolonged periods after turning heater on full, the thermostat may be stuck open
right thanks, will try this, if it doesnt work, al take the thermostat out nd see if it wrks ok

ok, well i had a non existent mix to start! i had only water as it was topped to the max on purchase, so when it overheated i put loads of coolant in it and assumed that would fix it.

i had the same problem mate but i didnt have a strong enough mixture and it froze up but i heated up the engine (with a few ingenious ideas ;) lol ) and it worked fine but it was leaking water and it was the o-ring on the back of the water pump which seals the pipe going to the thermostat from the back of the engine, i got it out and it pretty much fell apart as it came out.

just put a bit of paper or card underneath your car and leave it there over night to check for any leaks

Back