NEWBIE! Fuel Consumption & DTC Questions

Hi all. I've just come across this forum whilst looking for some information for my uncle's K11 Micra.

I've done a search but not found much (probably not use to the forum workings yet!), but I have a few questions and would appreciate it if anyone could help.

The car in question is a 1.0 Micra (2000 model)...

It seems to be consuming petrol at an alarming rate. I've just given it a service and changed the front brakes, making sure nothing was seized and it seems to have gotten worse... maybe it's just the cold weather? However, the consumption has been pretty high anyway. Thermostat seems to be working fine.. car reaches optimal temp within a few minutes and stays constant half-way at all times.

I'd appreciate any insights into what could be causing this...

That brings me to the 2nd question. Where is the diagnostic socket located and what software (free) will work on a laptop? What protocol does it use (obd / eobd?)

Again, any help / pointers appreciated.

The 1 litre should be giving around 40 mpg, if you've had it serviced and everything was fine then there should be no problems, what milage has the car done ? does it run and tick over smoothly ? it hasn't had one of those useless 'add 20 bhp' ebay resistors fitted has it ? are there any other problems with it ?
The diagnostic socket is next to the fusebox under the fusebox cover by your right knee when sitting in the car, I'm not aware of any free software that would allow you to plug your laptop into it, but there is more knowledgeable members on that side of it than me.

Thanks for the reply Sonic. By the sound of things, it's returning less than 30mpg (I've not driven it long enough myself, but apparently it lost a 'bar' last night over a few miles!).

It's not had any mods done to it yet. Tick over is smooth, mileage is around 60-70k (not sure tbh, but certainly not very high). Only other problem that I noted was that at tickover, after a while there was an intermittent 'rattle'.

The one thing that hasn't been done in terms of service yet is the fuel filter which will be done tomorrow.

Any other input appreciated.

i've been told there is free software on the net, but not sure where. but you'll need a nissan consult cable to plug into the diagnostic port.

On another note, when I replaced the pads, I didn't realise they had backing plates fitted until I started doing the other side (they were attached pretty strongly!)

I didn't refit those, and the new pads didn't come with any... Should they be fitted? What are they there for?

if yours is like mine mate then the rattle is very gay and just sits there at tick over i found mine to be the heat sheild that was siting on the down pipe to the cat that rattled.

tazzyk..... Welcome.

make youself at home.

the fuel consumption is very high. my 108,000 mile 1.3 superS has done 58mpg on a manchester run before.... so on a newer 1.0 thats alarming.

have a check on the lambda sensor (may need to seek a garage for this) as it may just be over fueling. (allthough from my experience over fueling isnt the problem. its the opposite infact..lol)

Thanks for the info guys.

Chubstar, yeah that sounds about right. Will check the heatshield that you suggest. Is there any chance that this could also be fouling the gearchange linkages? When you move the gear lever in neutral, there is a noise from that sort of area.

Anthony, I have been thinking lambda, but I think my uncle has had it on a computer and no codes were registered. He went Birmingham to Heathrow and back this morning and it used about 3/4 of the tank... I think thats a lot...

The one thing I noticed earlier when I borrowed the car was that at idle, there is a constant 'whine'... possibly the fuel pump? Has this been known to cause problems?

tazzy

i had that to mate its a ten min fix 4 screws above the cat on the heat sheild and drop it down and you will see the spring hanging down thats whats making the noise just take it out and bent it out and replace it you will see the hole and where it needs to go and replace.

and for the rattle on the sheild i just put sum cable ties on it for the mo till i get a new one.

oh and i got a service kit for mine ill let ya no if it brings my mpg up. when i fit it. hope it dose and if it dont we ill just copy what you do till ya get it. lol

cheers mates.. Will try the heatsheild thing for my uncle when I get a chance.. got loads to do on my own cars and daylight just isn't long enough!

Back