Fuel consumption problem?

I have a T reg K11 1.3i which seldom gets more than 38MPG. Sometimes only 35. Is this unusual?
can anyone comment or suggest, please?

Here's the full story, if anyone is interested:-

I do a 10 mile run to work and back, on fairly empty A/B roads for 9 miles of the 10. There are a couple of steepish hills on the route, but otherwise not much need for wasting fuel on braking.

Checked so far (not in order) :-

Fresh oil and filter

Recent new front brake calipers, not dragging (and some brilliant slotted Brembo discs--recommended!)

Plug gaps are correct. Plugs about a year old, but changing them last year didn't change anything.

No misfires (it has never missed a beat hot or cold)

Performance is good--better than I expected, if you change down 2 or 3 gears:) I try not to use the performance when I'm checking the MPG. Previous owner was a little old lady who drove at 30mph on fast roads (grrr!) and also straight past the gates of the primary school at 3:30pm (GGRRR!)

New NTK (same as NGK?) Lambda sensor fitted recently.

Always Shell unleaded fuel (also tried V-power--very smooth running, lots of go when i revved it but mpg was worse still). I had a bad experience with supermarket fuel, so I've used Shell unleaded for a year now.

I've run it up with Conzult software and the adaptor lead. It shows the Lambda sensor cycling. I also used an oscilloscope and it shows a nice healthy Lambda heartbeat as far as I can see. But I don't know how fast it should be cycling. (I know electronics and the theory, but I don't have experience of these systems, so I might as well be clueless:blush:)

Conzult shows water temp about 80C and there's a lean/rich indicator in the software which flickers but spends more time at 'rich' than 'lean'. There are various other indicators including injector cycle time in mS, which I don't know to judge.

The last Lambda sensor was a year old and it looked a bit sooty to me. And the excellent performance/response and exhaust smell suggest it's running a wee bit rich.

Both times when I changed the Lambda sensor, the throttle response was very good (too good, almost snappy) for the first bit when taking off, making it hard to get a smooth start. When I changed the sensor, the throttle response on part throttle calmed down a bit, which I took as a good sign of an economical fuel mixture. Was I wrong?

The car is standard, apart from 185-60/14 tyres on Passat wheels. It raises gearing slightly (just enough to correct the speedo, that's all). I only put the aircon on once a week for a minute, or when the windows steam up in bad weather.

I don't know what else to try. For 38MPG I might as well fit a Primera GT engine and have some extra fun :)

Sounds pretty good to me buddy!
If anything maybe it is because 10 miles is probably still classed as a short journey and is the reason for any loss in MPG.

Me on the other hand...

1.3 SR 1996

7.41 litres (£10 of unleaded at £1.34.9 per litre) will get me around about 35 miles.
which is around 21/22 MPG...

Reason: Heavy foot :p

enjoy the mpg while you can and before the fuel goes up even more! (Y)

sounds like a problem to me, should be 10 miles a litre, 20 quid 14 odd litre =140 miles miniman
i got this exact prob at the minute, suspect a disconected wire so im gonna switch to the slx loom nats and ecu or go see ed fusion

mine ran around the 38 mark standard. i thought it was supposed to be around that figure. since i stripped it out, put an fpr at 4bars (60% increase in pressure), removed air filter and side exit exhaust does 48 around town and 42 on motorway.

lightweight for the win!

i get 38 mpg and that with my low ratio set up so my car must be running happily... but i find it worse with short journeys simply because its on cold start for longer if that makes sense

Thanks guys. Maybe I should relax and enjoy it.

The only reason I asked was that someone said he's getting 45MPG from his 1.4 Micra. But since lots of people get similar figures, I guess it isn't broken. So I won't fix it :grinning:

Oh, one thing is broken--fuse for the rear wiper blows. I guess the power for the self-parking is shorting out. I'll probably have to check out the tailgate. It looks like the most obvious place for a short. How hard can it be? :grinning:

Oh, one thing is broken--fuse for the rear wiper blows. I guess the power for the self-parking is shorting out. I'll probably have to check out the tailgate. It looks like the most obvious place for a short. How hard can it be? :grinning:

if you dont use it and can live without it remove it .........theres little bit of weight there (Y)

I get 45mpg from my '94 1.3 which is standard and includes about 50:50 town driving and keeping with the fast (note not fastest) traffic on the motorways. If I stick to an indicated 70mph (which is about 64mph) then I get more.

yeh, 10 miles per litre should be easily achieved, 40 psi in the tyres helps somewhat :)

40psi bloody hell. ive got 30 in mine and its too stiff. have just gone from 175/65/14 front 165/65/14 rear to 205/55/15 all round though. although in theory i agree that higher tyre pressures equals less rolling resistance. in reality its too much of a and off between economy and actual grip!

im getting mid 50's easily as Frank says 40 psi helps! I used to have a Trajet mpv and could never get more than 28 mpg out of that thing :grinning:

Do you do a lot of 60mph driving? Mid 50s sounds pretty good to me. Although you have a 1.0 litre engine rather than the 1.3 which most of the people on this thread seem to have, which would help I guess.

did a journey manchester to london and back in my micra last week. managed 53 on the way and 45 on the way back. could be something to do with the mad wheel wobble over 60mph!

I used to get no less than 42mpg from my old 1.0 LX no matter how badly I abused it. My 1.3GX used to return around 42-45mpg on petrol and 38-42mpg on LPG. Mostly motorway driving with the occasional round town stuff. Cold starts and short journeys can really hurt fuel economy, so if you do plenty of those then that can have an effect long term.

Given your short journeys I would say 38mpg average isn't far off to be honest. A 1.3 is capable of more but that would be far more suited to longer journeys on an easy cruise not commonly attributed to A/B roads.

Thank yourself you don't drive a modified K11, I can easily drop my SuperS down to <25mpg, probably less when it's back on the road next spring ;)

Back